Sticky Rear Hatch Latch

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Sticky Rear Hatch Latch

1. '99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 : had this bothersome business on a previous Cherokee; rear hatch is recalcitrant when attempting to open; usually if'n I put press down on the license plate light housing or push my right knee into the panel to the right/somewhat above the hatch level at the same time I lift the hatch, it will give it up and open; what's the deal? what's the solution ... other than wearing out my knee and patience? Hatch lifts are not the issue here.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by HikerJeep
  1. '99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 : had this bothersome business on a previous Cherokee; rear hatch is recalcitrant when attempting to open; usually if'n I put press down on the license plate light housing or push my right knee into the panel to the right/somewhat above the hatch level at the same time I lift the hatch, it will give it up and open; what's the deal? what's the solution ... other than wearing out my knee and patience? Hatch lifts are not the issue here.
Thanks!
You need to get behind your interior panel and adjust your linkage. Had a different issue with my latch recently, but the steps are almost the same. Heres what I did to fix my issue, yours should be much simpler:
[QUOTE=roninofako;2805433]So for those who didn't see my post in OEM, here is what I did to fix my rear latch. Background: My key would only lock the rear latch, but not open it, the tumbler would only turn one way, lock only. My dilemma was I couldn't get my rear hatch open to fix. So, here it is.

OK, so solved my rear hatch not unlocking problem. So, here's what I started with:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-zo3fiuw.jpg

Got my needed tools, didn't grab a pic of the cordless drill with phillips bit, sorry, LOL
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-lk2lor4.jpg
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-m3lwcyx.jpg
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-0ydath7.jpg
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-xbwpfs9.jpg

So, it was suggested I check underneath where the striker is to see if I could access the bolts, to remove them and get the hatch open.
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-stnlvbz.jpg

So, I'm in luck, right? WRONG. Took them out, and while I was able to move it, couldn't get it open as the bolts were too long. Here's what they looked like at the maxed out position:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-ee1pngq.jpg

So, I crawled in the back and pulled the middle section of the panel out next:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-dbpk1xs.jpg
Just reached in and pulled the latch lever.

Success!
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-pp0bzjh.jpg

So then I got the interior panel off, and poked my noggin around inside, pulled the metal clip on the latch lever, and removed the solenoid rod...
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-hqrym4b.jpg
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-v3t7nna.jpg

Removed the 10mm nut holding it in place and removed:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-wslagk1.jpg

So here's the culprit:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-zyx4zd1.jpg

...and here is where the issue was. That little hooked portion I'm pointing to was bent slightly out of whack...
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-d8ud5im.jpg

After bending it back in place, I cleaned, lubed, reinstalled, put the clips back on, replaced the interior trim, verified operation, YAY! Key locks and unlocks with zero issues now. Then took it on a test drive with a friend:
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-deqcb8v.jpg
Sticky Rear Hatch Latch-yfyx4so.jpg
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre

This is just a guess but it sounds as if the latch mechanism is out of alignment.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for suggestions; problem solved with a minor adjustment.