State police hassle in Moab

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default State police hassle in Moab

A new wheelin' friend of mine who goes to Moab often was telling me yesterday that the Utah State Police have been unmercifully nabbing off-road vehicles in and around Moab for not exactly complying with Utah vehicle standards: tires sticking out too wide past fenders, too high lifts, no mud flaps, etc. They are supposedly saying trailer the rigs to the trails and keep them off the hwys, even in the town of Moab.

Anyone else experience this?

His take is that the town merchants are complaining to the Utah SP but to no avail. The Moab city police have been okay.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Historically, Moab has been lenient. Utah's laws for mudflaps, bumpers, etc, are pretty strict. Sucks that SP has been cracking down.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that suxs!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

well a show of support--ie: no revenue to the town, might loosen the noose?, not familiar with the area, but fuel, food drinks, pack-it in instead
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I have a hard time believing this... I've been to moab numerous times with no issues. The thing about it is they know that the offroad community will be less likely to migrate to moab if they get to strict. Considering that we the offroaders are their main income, I can't see them cracking down to hard!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I could see that happening, especially in this economy. The sheriff dept. need more revenue. If people where to join together and boycott the area for a while. They would relax their attitudes.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
I have a hard time believing this... I've been to moab numerous times with no issues. The thing about it is they know that the offroad community will be less likely to migrate to moab if they get to strict. Considering that we the offroaders are their main income, I can't see them cracking down to hard!
-uh-huh

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
I could see that happening, especially in this economy. The sheriff dept. need more revenue. If people where to join together and boycott the area for a while. They would relax their attitudes.
yup

Originally Posted by gone4x4
well a show of support--ie: no revenue to the town, might loosen the noose?, not familiar with the area, but fuel, food drinks, pack-it in instead
huh, what he said
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

I'm shooting for an October run, so we'll see how hard they're cracking down. It's never been uncommon for there to be full blown buggies in front, & behind you at McDonald's drive threw. Hell the way I see it, I'd gladly take a ticket just for an excuse to head back down there!

"Well honey, I just dont see any sence in going to moab, & not taking the jeep for at least one trail..."

Last edited by builtnotbought89'; 09-05-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know folks from Colorado that have experienced this as well....for no good reason other than to fill the Tax Coffers in Moab.

Utah and Colorado have Reciprocity Agreement that clearly states that either state willl recognized vehicle licensing, registration, safety requirements, vehicle modifications, etc. basically if your rig is legally licensed and registered in Colorado then you are not breaking any laws in Utah.

Problem is, you get a ticket there and you must return at a later date to go to court and fight it. Sure you'll win but how much is it going to cost you? Most people will simply pay the fine and forget about it.

It's a racket designed to skim money from visitors to Moab.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
It's a racket designed to skim money from visitors to Moab.
so class? whats the answer to today's question?-even my decrepit **** can answer this one!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gone4x4
so class? whats the answer to today's question?-even my decrepit **** can answer this one!!!
We should do a donation to get the starving families of moab's police officers each a thanksgiving turkey???
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

they prolly will still harass ya all, we aint got those worries here in Md. we gots no places to wheel!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
We should do a donation to get the starving families of moab's police officers each a thanksgiving turkey???
Exactly what i was thinking LOL
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

you guys need some mud out there i have a buddy in wisconsin that had the cops come to his private mud hole bc they thought they were driving the big a$$ pickups with like 48's and up on the street well the cop had a crown vic and got stuck so all the trucks did burn outs around his car in the mud and they was just a pile of mud left there u couldnt even see the car lol is was amazing the cop was like wtf and my buddy bargained with him and he left us alone
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Year: 1989

The guy who was telling me this goes to Moab once or twice a year for the last 8 years. He said up to last year they never had any problems with the SP guys. Last year he said it was a heavy duty crack down. Supposedly the city merchants and leaders went to the SP and told them that their livelihood depended on tourist/recreation like 4X4 people. The SP is report to have said, tough s**t, the law is the law. The local police has not been a problem.

I have gone to Moab many times and have never seen this problem, but I never went down there this past year or yet this year.

Quick Reply: State police hassle in Moab