Speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Speaker problem

Yesterday I installed two 130 watt pioneer speakers that I scored from a junk yard, and they sounded amazing :rock on: but then today I was rockin out while I was driving and the radio just went out Well let me rephrase that, the radio was still playing but all speakers stopped playing music. I tried to turn it on and off but nothing, so when I checked the fuses they were all good so i took off one of the door panels. So I took a power probe and checked the ground and power to the "new" door speaker and its getting power just no sound? Any thought? Maybe the "new" speakers shorted something out? Any thing will be helpfull thanks

Brandon
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Any thoughts?

Brandon
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H/O

check the impedance on the new speakers, it should have them stamped on the back of the magnet somewhere. stock stereo or aftermarket? if the impedance is too low, then you can draw too much power from the amplifier built into the radio, overheating it or just blowing out the power transistors. hopefully its something stupid, but if you have a multimeter, set it on A/C voltage. disconnect one of the speakers, and connect the multimeter leads up to the speaker wires, being careful not to short anything out. now turn the radio on and turn up the volume, you should get a decent amount of voltage. probably between 10-70 volts which will be erratic depending on the music/sound. if you have no voltage at all, or just a couple of milivolts, then your radios toasted.

then you can turn the multimeter to ohms (the greek omega sign) and put both leads on the speaker's terminals, you should read around .5 ohms of resistance. this should be different from the impedance rating because your reading pure resistance, not magnetic inductance. if this reads OL (overload) or a number that is very high, then your speaker coils have burned out.