Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop
Default Sound Deadening

So for the first time in a while, I drove the XJ on the freeway with the radio off.... No wonder I keep my radio cranked up! I hear the tires, the engine, and the WIND NOISE. Since I got paid $200 today to install a car audio system for a friend from school, I'm in the market of purchasing something to make my Jeep quieter and more pleasent to ride in.

I'm not going to go the Dynamat route because it's way too expensive, so I'm looking at alternatives.

I went to Lowes and saw some thick carpet padding foam for $0.68 a square foot. I was thinking of laying it down underneath my existing carpet to get rid of some road noise. Also, I saw this stuff called Peel and Seal, it's for roof patching and it's $16 for like 12 sq ft. I wanted to use that to line the rear hatch, the doors, and the cargo area.

Any suggestions for some cheap and effective options would be great!
I'm going to start the project tomorrow!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

If your unibody is as fubar as mine and you get wind noise through the door cracks (If I sit in my back seat and look at the drivers side doors, I can see outside between the door and B-pillar) get some foam tape and run it in the door jams until they are sealed. I need to do this to mine.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by mrfajita
If your unibody is as fubar as mine and you get wind noise through the door cracks (If I sit in my back seat and look at the drivers side doors, I can see outside between the door and B-pillar) get some foam tape and run it in the door jams until they are sealed. I need to do this to mine.
lmao that's really bad!
My unibody is fine. The only seal problem I have is the top of the driver's door because I had to break into my XJ a few weeks ago due to locking the keys inside.

A police officer saw me and helped me get in with a car lockout kit he had. We pryed a little too hard on the door frame I guess haha. Im going to try hitting the top of the door with a rubber mallet and see if it bends back a little and fixes the problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

the adhesive foam route is a good way. I would lightly push and pull on the top of the door frame and stay away from hitting it with a mallet of any kind as you can do more damage then good.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by mrfajita
Good idea.