Snow driving tips - Page 4 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
Snow driving tips >

Snow driving tips

Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Snow driving tips

Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 PM
  #46  
I like it in the dirt
 
itsanxjthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,802
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 89eliminator View Post
i agree. i meant that once you get to dry pavement, and it stays dry, switch it back to 2wd. by me, they take good care of the highly traveled roads and couldnt care less about the side roads (which i have to take anywhere i go). I never thought of riding the shoulder though for a short time.
Actualy he is wrong, unless you have the full time 4x4. In 4 wheel drive you cant feel the road like you can in 2. Take it from the guy who lives in Northern Canada, Once through to your third gear you should take it out of 4wheel. It should be used as needed to gain momentum. If 4x4 truly handled the best on snow and ice, dont you think police cars here would be AWD? Why are all the rides here in the ditch the guys who think like you guys, put it in 4wheel and drive like its summer. Remember just cuz you can get going faster doesnt mean you should go faster and 4x4 wont help you stop, or stay on the road.
itsanxjthing is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
  #47  
CF Veteran
 
NewXJaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 5,376
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
Well its good to read this thread, Im in El paso so when it snows, all hell breaks loose, people panic, news goes crazy its pretty funny. Since were not use to it.
Were getting a lil bit to heated up there troth and zachsxj, But that bite me was uncalled for also. Those kinds of comments is what starts these arguements.
If you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all. The thread veered off quickly and was not helping the OP.
LOl ill stop cuz im doing the same thing. Sorry.

same here...I live in North Carolina out by the beach. It does snow sometimes any time more than 1/8th inch starts sticking its like the world is coming to an end....roads closed, schools closed, everything just shuts down.

Its pretty funny. and...no one knows how to drive in the stuff, so you see all the morons in huge jacked up 4x4's just speeding down the highway thinking that just because they have big fat tires and 4wd ice has no effect on them.
NewXJaddict is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
  #48  
CF Veteran
 
ZachsXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,145
Default

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict View Post
same here...I live in North Carolina out by the beach. It does snow sometimes any time more than 1/8th inch starts sticking its like the world is coming to an end....roads closed, schools closed, everything just shuts down.

Its pretty funny. and...no one knows how to drive in the stuff, so you see all the morons in huge jacked up 4x4's just speeding down the highway thinking that just because they have big fat tires and 4wd ice has no effect on them.
Same here except it has to be more than 1/2 inch. the best part about the guys in jacked up trucks is they have mud tires which are the worst for snow driving
ZachsXJ is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
  #49  
CF Veteran
 
Troth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,004
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing View Post
Actualy he is wrong, unless you have the full time 4x4. In 4 wheel drive you cant feel the road like you can in 2. Take it from the guy who lives in Northern Canada, Once through to your third gear you should take it out of 4wheel. It should be used as needed to gain momentum. If 4x4 truly handled the best on snow and ice, dont you think police cars here would be AWD? Why are all the rides here in the ditch the guys who think like you guys, put it in 4wheel and drive like its summer. Remember just cuz you can get going faster doesnt mean you should go faster and 4x4 wont help you stop, or stay on the road.

I have to disagree with you disagreeing with the other guy, police cars and most newer cars have awd because all of those newer cars want to have better fuel efficency. all wheel drive is a computer that manages and calculates the the spin and traction of every tire and sends the power to the most effecient tires to maintain control. they do pretty well but they dont drive 4x4 mostly 2-3.
A 4X4 rig like a jeep has all the tires engaged and is way better in the snow. thats why most police stations have 4X4 rigs aswell. I agree with the momentum thing but there is no reason to take it out of 4X4. youre more likely to spin out on a corner if you are in 2 rear wheel drive and come around. if you have your 2 front tires engaged it will help pull you through the corner
and awd's get stuck and 4X4's alot less. its true that you cant feel the road as much but I have always been fine in 4x4 with what I can feel. just go out on the road and put it in 4 wheel and go 15 and slam on the brakes on ice, way more control than 2.

I used to live in alaska, and washington, and oregon
Troth is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
  #50  
I like it in the dirt
 
itsanxjthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,802
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Troth View Post
I have to disagree with you disagreeing with the other guy, police cars and most newer cars have awd because all of those newer cars want to have better fuel efficency. all wheel drive is a computer that manages and calculates the the spin and traction of every tire and sends the power to the most effecient tires to maintain control. they do pretty well but they dont drive 4x4 mostly 2-3.
A 4X4 rig like a jeep has all the tires engaged and is way better in the snow. thats why most police stations have 4X4 rigs aswell. I agree with the momentum thing but there is no reason to take it out of 4X4. youre more likely to spin out on a corner if you are in 2 rear wheel drive and come around. if you have your 2 front tires engaged it will help pull you through the corner
and awd's get stuck and 4X4's alot less. its true that you cant feel the road as much but I have always been fine in 4x4 with what I can feel. just go out on the road and put it in 4 wheel and go 15 and slam on the brakes on ice, way more control than 2.

I used to live in alaska, and washington, and oregon
I disagree with you disagreeing with me disagrreing with that guy who agrees, respectfully, its all opinion
itsanxjthing is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
  #51  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Model: Cherokee
Default

This was a good thread. Lots of good info. Thanks everyone!

Just dont drive like a fool and you will be good.
UserID6095 is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
  #52  
CF Veteran
 
Troth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,004
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L
Default

hahahahahahahahahahaha

this thread should be called the great disagreement of 2009
Troth is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
  #53  
Seasoned Member
 
Destro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 440
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I actually agree that you can feel the road better in 2WD but disagree about taking it out of 4WD once up to speed- mostly because I would forget to put it back in 4WD until after I started slipping when I needed it again. :-)

I put it in 4WD whenever conditions are slick and leave it there until the roads are cleared. I live out in the country so that usually take a couple days if we get a good snow. If I go on the expressway or anyplace that is clear I will take it out of 4WD, but not when doing local roads where one may be clear for a while- then you hit a huge drift in the road out of nowhere.

Cheers and do stay safe out there!

~K
Destro is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
  #54  
CF Veteran
 
NewXJaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 5,376
Model: Cherokee
Default

things to remember ... snow or no snow

Common sense is not so common

If you can't pay anything else PAY ATTENTION

all of my close calls have been because of other people driving like morons
NewXJaddict is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
  #55  
CF Veteran
 
builtnotbought89''s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,328
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Good job riverrat see what u started! Lol
builtnotbought89' is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
  #56  
CF Veteran
 
aircruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,328
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

to add, good tires help alot!!

my bfgs last winter werent the best and they were new! ran em at 33psi and pretty much had to be in 4wd to get going..my 235 pathfinders the year before were even worse. im running my 34" TrXus m/ts with 30psi right now and i can be in 2wd all the time and feel safe! if it is all snow on the road ill stay in 4hi but otherwise its drives great! im extremely impressed with these tires
aircruiser is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
  #57  
aka Wade-O
 
89eliminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE WI
Posts: 3,656
Year: 1989 Comanche
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing View Post
Actualy he is wrong, unless you have the full time 4x4. In 4 wheel drive you cant feel the road like you can in 2. Take it from the guy who lives in Northern Canada, Once through to your third gear you should take it out of 4wheel. It should be used as needed to gain momentum. If 4x4 truly handled the best on snow and ice, dont you think police cars here would be AWD? Why are all the rides here in the ditch the guys who think like you guys, put it in 4wheel and drive like its summer. Remember just cuz you can get going faster doesnt mean you should go faster and 4x4 wont help you stop, or stay on the road.
well by me there are tons of stop signs, 90* turns, stop lights. i sure as hell am not gonna be shifting between 4wd and 2wd all the time.
89eliminator is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
  #58  
I like it in the dirt
 
itsanxjthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,802
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 89eliminator View Post
well by me there are tons of stop signs, 90* turns, stop lights. i sure as hell am not gonna be shifting between 4wd and 2wd all the time.
I can understand that
itsanxjthing is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
  #59  
Member
 
spikeypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 229
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor
Default

So what is it about the mud tires that would make them bad? i realize this may be a dumb question. But looking at my baja claws i would think they would get good traction. In Portland we don't get much snow. And i don't plan on visiting our emt friend on hwy 26 up there. But could someone enlighten me about the claws on snow?
spikeypuck is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
  #60  
CF Veteran
 
ZachsXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,145
Default

Originally Posted by spikeypuck View Post
So what is it about the mud tires that would make them bad? i realize this may be a dumb question. But looking at my baja claws i would think they would get good traction. In Portland we don't get much snow. And i don't plan on visiting our emt friend on hwy 26 up there. But could someone enlighten me about the claws on snow?
The lack of siping and typical hard rubber compounds used in mud terrain tires. If you sipe them wet/snow/ice performance supposedly goes from complete crap to actually decent
ZachsXJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow driving tips


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: