Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I put 5k into a '98 XJ 350k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Should I put 5k into a '98 XJ 350k miles?

I am looking to buy an XJ. Already made one post about an '01 I am considering. But I renently found another one that is exactly what I am looking for, but it has 350k on the odometer. It is a '98 5-speed. Thats a lot of miles, but... this is a project car right? Asking price is only 1500. Its basically free, then I could 3-4k into it, maybe an engine and tranny rebuild, plus an all new suspension. Then it would probably be pretty nice right? What else would I need to do? I am just not sure, it seems crazy to invest in a car with 350k, but why? The investment is what makes the jeep good or not, right?

Would I be crazy to put 5k into a '98 XJ?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Redpill
I am looking to buy an XJ. Already made one post about an '01 I am considering. But I renently found another one that is exactly what I am looking for, but it has 350k on the odometer. It is a '98 5-speed. Thats a lot of miles, but... this is a project car right? Asking price is only 1500. Its basically free, then I could 3-4k into it, maybe an engine and tranny rebuild, plus an all new suspension. Then it would probably be pretty nice right? What else would I need to do? I am just not sure, it seems crazy to invest in a car with 350k, but why? The investment is what makes the jeep good or not, right?

Hey man. Well it's all if it's worth it to you. Imo I would pass. Plenty out there for under 2k with less miles. Look around in surrounding states.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

IMO, you seem to be diving a bit too far in. I've gone back-and-forth typing a response here trying to not sound like an ahole so please don't take this the wrong way but you seem to have very little experience. What is the end-game here? What kind of rig are you trying to build? Stop being so hellbent on a stick and you'll see many more XJ's out there. You could also buy an auto-equipped XJ and swap a stick in since you've got money to burn.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
IMO, you seem to be diving a bit too far in. I've gone back-and-forth typing a response here trying to not sound like an ahole so please don't take this the wrong way but you seem to have very little experience. What is the end-game here? What kind of rig are you trying to build? Stop being so hellbent on a stick and you'll see many more XJ's out there. You could also buy an auto-equipped XJ and swap a stick in since you've got money to burn.
First the $8500 01 and now this haha. To the OP, it seems your rushing to find one. Take it slow. And like said, your options grow exponentially when autos are included.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martlor13
First the $8500 01 and now this haha. To the OP, it seems your rushing to find one. Take it slow. And like said, your options grow exponentially when autos are included.
I wonder what an $8500 XJ looks like... I've got a low mileage rig (73k original miles) and suspension/drivetrain mods, what's the value on mine, $10K?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

you want 5spd, you gonna have to pay
Old 10-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Engine: I6

Nope, I wouldn't do it. Too many unknowns with those miles and you will likely need a new engine soon, which will increase your budget.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

whats the body and int look like?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I could spend 5k on both axles alone like 1 ton swap with both built up.Or 5k for a ls swap and whatever trans i want.Can you do any of the work yourself ?If yes then maybe if the jeep is 100% rust free and virgin.If you have to have a shop do any work then no.Having a rebuilt engine installed by a shop would be almost your whole budget.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:07 AM

Year: 96

Search Craigslist in different areas. Find a creampuff and fly out and drive it back. Lots of later models show up here.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

it has 350k on the odometer.
What area of the country? Any rust would be an automatic deal breaker, you can't "fix it" when there is nothing left to fix but Swiss cheese & iron oxide dust. I just dumped an '01 that had 160k on the clock but was pretty much trashed due to road salt.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

If you are already planning on replacing the engine and transmision anyway might as well spend low on the jeep itself. but like others here are saying you can get lower mile xj's for 2000-2500 and not need to do all that and you can blow the rest of your wad on suspension and tires and such.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 AM

The preferred prey of the wild XJ beast is money. So get one that isn't so hungry.

Not sure why you want a stick. The Aw4 auto in these babies is tough and from what I understand does just fine in the woods. There are still decent XJs out there. Not unicorn status yet. If you're not pressed for time, wait for the right deal.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

From the other thread, he's after a vehicle with manual trans and an inline six.

I reckon you'd be better off looking for an auto with no rust and then looking for a manual in any old state as a donor.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say go for it! $1500? For a late model xj with a 5 speed?
Why would you even have to ask?
Not trying to do away with everyone's opinions but I'd go for it, if I plan to keep it I'm dropping money no matter how you put it, we've all spent money on stuff that shouldn't have been spent on but he's talking about rebuilding his engine and trans before lift tires and blah blah blah, I'd stick to the 98 and drop the 01 because of head issues...goodluck