Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I buy this Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Should I buy this Jeep?

Was browsing some dealer websites and came across a 98 Grand Cherokee TSi with the 4.0l i6 engine and 182k miles. The price is $1,500. I haven't looked at it yet, but judging by the pics it looks pretty clean aside from a little rust on the rear driver's side fender. The tires look alright.

What do you think? My only real hesitation is the 182k miles, but I hear that's nothing for the 4.0

Here's the listing.
http://www.auto-wholesalers.com/1998..._229248443.veh
Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

what's the kelly blue book value? Does all the power windows and locks work? looks like the rear bumper was hit can't really tell. any rust? is that leak on the ground from the zj? any leaks from engine / diffs / tcase? Are you willing to fix any of that if it is? Does the a/c work? what it tsi?

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 06-29-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Not a bad price, but I would look closely at it for potential issues. Most dealers would do some detail work and put a $4000 price on it if it was worth taking the time. This guy has done nothing as far as cleaning, there must be something wrong with it.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by crabmushrooms5
what's the kelly blue book value? Does all the power windows and locks work? looks like the rear bumper was hit can't really tell. any rust? is that leak on the ground from the zj? any leaks from engine / diffs / tcase? Are you willing to fix any of that if it is? Does the a/c work? what it tsi?
KBB is $3,393 so the price is low for sure. I will be checking it out tomorrow and I think I've read just about every "what should i look for when buying a jeep" threads on this site so I will be giving it a thorough inspection.

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Not a bad price, but I would look closely at it for potential issues. Most dealers would do some detail work and put a $4000 price on it if it was worth taking the time. This guy has done nothing as far as cleaning, there must be something wrong with it.
Yeah I wonder what's up with that? In another listing, you can clearly see a straw wrapper on the floor. Couldn't pick that up before taking a pic? LOL

I will be looking at it tomorrow and I'm wondering if it's a rust issue.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM

ZJ's have coilovers in the back which can be a good thing for lifts I think? If it were me, I would check for rust and leaks, fluid levels and color and test drive it.

If I could roll down the windows and drive it around 5 miles and park it and leave it running while I chitchat with the salesman without major complications, I might get it. Did the same thing with my XJ and I had 4 different size / brand tires with bad rear suspension. But then again I desired an XJ deeply. If only my pockets matched my efforts!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM

Make sure the motor is worth a d--- tho! Don't rush into a trap! Dealers are dealers! Price seems decent but it is still a dealer. TSI model sounds rareish
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by crabmushrooms5
Make sure the motor is worth a d--- tho! Don't rush into a trap! Dealers are dealers! Price seems decent but it is still a dealer. TSI model sounds rareish
Yeah I learned that lesson last year when I bought my truck. Drove my old car until it died and needed a replacement immediately. Didn't haggle or ask questions, and I ended up having to pay $1,200 for repairs within the first 3 months.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by IncognitoBaboon
Yeah I learned that lesson last year when I bought my truck. Drove my old car until it died and needed a replacement immediately. Didn't haggle or ask questions, and I ended up having to pay $1,200 for repairs within the first 3 months.
Don't be afraid to DIY. My XJ is "pretty simple" to work on, especially since I try to go slow and focus on not messing nothing up. Mash the gas and see it anything falls off or blows up, then slam on the brakes Make a plan to change all fluids and do tune up if you purchase. I have trust issues and its summertime.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The ad says it is a "as is" special. This is usually New Hampshire dealer speak for, we are selling it without an inspection sticker (doesnt necessarily mean it won't pass) but isn't covered by the lemon laws.

Of all the cars I sold as a dealer in nh only one was sold "as is" and it was a heavily modified Mitsubishi Evo with no cat that would never (legally) pass an inspection.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

My guess in this jeep is that he either stole it as a trade in or picked it up at auction, either way he's probably into it or about $700 and doesn't feel he increases his profit margin by putting anything money or time into it.

Also, check the title for salvage status, there's plenty of salvage rebuild dealers in nh. It's typically not info they will offer up unless you ask.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by black label
The ad says it is a "as is" special. This is usually New Hampshire dealer speak for, we are selling it without an inspection sticker (doesnt necessarily mean it won't pass) but isn't covered by the lemon laws.

Of all the cars I sold as a dealer in nh only one was sold "as is" and it was a heavily modified Mitsubishi Evo with no cat that would never (legally) pass an inspection.
As is could mean used with no warranty. My Hummer H3 was sold "as is" and came with an inspection sticker.

I'm wondering is this Jeep is a rust bucket with no hope of passing inspection, so they sell it cheap and throw a sticker on it for you to get you through the year.

Something I noticed is TSi models are said to have leather seats, but this one comes with cloth seats. Can't find anything that says the TSi ever came with cloth seats. I wonder if it's even a TSi, or had badly damaged seats.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Something I noticed is TSi models are said to have leather seats, but this one comes with cloth seats. Can't find anything that says the TSi ever came with cloth seats. I wonder if it's even a TSi, or had badly damaged seats.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

As is could mean used with no warranty. My Hummer H3 was sold "as is" and came with an inspection sticker.
My bad, you're right, as is in NH is just no warranty.

NH actually allows dealers to sell "unsafe" vehicles, these will not pass an inspection. This needs to be disclosed to the buyer. That's what the Evo was, a $16000 "unsafe vehicle".
Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Member

doesn't look like a TSI at all...

TSi (1997–1998)

1998 Grand Cherokee TSi

A sporty TSi model (1997–1998) briefly debuted, exterior features included single color body paneling, with lower indigo blue striping and TSi accent similar to that found on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Talon model. They could only be ordered in select colors, which included Black, Platinum, and Deep Amethyst. TSi packages came equipped with 5 spoke 16-inch (410 mm) alloy wheels, 225/70R16 Goodyear Eagle GA tires, fog lights, Luxury group, featuring: "Highland" perforated, power, leather seats, overhead computer, and a premium sound system with steering wheel mounted controls. Contrary to popular belief, the suspension used on the TSi was the standard duty Quadra-Coil suspension used on all non-UpCountry ZJs. Both the 4.0 I6 and the 5.2 V8 were available. Quadra-Trac was standard with the TSi package for both engines, while Selec-Trac was optional with the I6. Both engine options could also be special ordered in 2 wheel drive configurations. The TSi was priced between the Laredo and the Limited; however, it was comparatively unpopular and a limited number were sold.

but for $1500, run it till it dies
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Looked at this thing the other day and all I can say is WOW what a piece of garbage. I think it had more rust than good metal, and the dealer tried to cover it up with silicone painted the color of the undercarriage. SHADY.

Had a fist sized hole in the frame with a nice large puddle under it.

I guess the search continues. Sucks being in the northeast... it's so hard finding an older car that isn't rotted out.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this Jeep?