Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Rumor has it the cherokee nameplate MIGHT make a return.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 00'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.
Default Rumor has it the cherokee nameplate MIGHT make a return.

The liberty is being replaced and they are announcing what it will be tomorrow. If it is the Cherokee being brought back I have a feeling it will be ruined. It's supposed to ride on some BS Fiat platform. Prolly have independent suspension instead of live axles, bad ground clearance, etc... What do you lads think?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

I think that its real bad that Fiat has control of Chrysler. They are in trouble and the ceo blames the new fiats lack of sales on "not enough dealers selling them" instead of just saying that fiats suck and nobody wants them. They have a bad reputation for poor quality here and abroad. I find his vision distressing. Read the story here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...LRN_story.html

So while I would love to see the return of a smaller true suv I doubt its going to happen. Fiat is going to ruin Jeep. I don't want a vehicle more "technologically advanced" than the grand cherokee. I want solid axles, coils and an inline 6. A real frame would be cool but I'll take a rugged unibody. Instead I think it'll be something low to the ground, way too many airbags and probably built out of tinfoil. They want to export it too so it will probably have weird lights and God forbid, curves. Though I must say this is one time I really would like to be proven wrong.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

IF they came out with the good old xj....id have to be inclined to pick up a mint new xj with no rust....winters are brutal up here and its almost impossible to find a decent body xj WITH A FLOOR for under 5k....everything else is beaten up rust buckets that arnt worth a dime....

but if they came out with some BS like the compass...OMG burn them
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

what if it comes factory on rockwells and 41's?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

When is the announcement coming out
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Chat.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by johnydoe
IF they came out with the good old xj....id have to be inclined to pick up a mint new xj with no rust....winters are brutal up here and its almost impossible to find a decent body xj WITH A FLOOR for under 5k....everything else is beaten up rust buckets that arnt worth a dime....

Bring a VIN number from one of your rusted beaters, 88 model, and title and I'll make you a deal on an Arkansas Rust free body. Just trailer your beater body down here and we'll swap vin's and send you home with a "Repaired" rust free body.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Damn sure that's illegal ?..
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Caish
Bring a VIN number from one of your rusted beaters, 88 model, and title and I'll make you a deal on an Arkansas Rust free body. Just trailer your beater body down here and we'll swap vin's and send you home with a "Repaired" rust free body.

if i knew i would get across the border then that would be great, but im pretty sure ill get refused at the border

thx for the offer though...one day ill go down to the states when i CAN and pick up a few xj's just for the bodys...the fact that theyre unibody its not like other jeeps or trucks where you can just replace the tub...

heres the last xj i picked up for parts...

(3.5 suspension, 31" tires, seats, radiator) and sold some pieces as well, paid 700 for it...biody looked good, was going to rebuild it until i took the carpet off and seen there was no floor only frame rails, through out the whole jeep...you could stop this jeep like fred flintstone, and on top of that the frame rails were rusted so bad they were literally flaking away...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
Damn sure that's illegal ?..
only if you get caught, ...lol

Last edited by johnydoe; 11-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Ohh gosh
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by johnydoe
The problem with bringing back the old XJ is there is a very limited market for it. Remember, most people who buy SUVs aren't looking for rugged and off-road capable. Most SUVs bought today will NEVER see a trailhead, much less anything serious. Car like comfort, ride, with lots of space, and a status symbol is what the majority of people want. Why they don't buy station wagons is beyond me, but that's another argument for another day.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM

you mean this thing..........

http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/2013/index.html
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

The only chance in hell that the XJ would ever be revived in it's true form is if it was released as a performance vehicle or work vehicle only. Which I'd be fine with.

Imagine the XJ with a beefed up direct-injection 4.0... modern 6 speed transmission... and.. um... actually, those are about the only things I can think of that could really improve the XJ over how it is now.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 77olds
The only chance in hell that the XJ would ever be revived in it's true form is if it was released as a performance vehicle or work vehicle only. Which I'd be fine with.

Imagine the XJ with a beefed up direct-injection 4.0... modern 6 speed transmission... and.. um... actually, those are about the only things I can think of that could really improve the XJ over how it is now.
Can always build one yourself.

Quick Reply: Rumor has it the cherokee nameplate MIGHT make a return.