Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roof rack questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Roof rack questions

Im building a roof rack for my 89 xj and I was wondering what would be the maximum weight capacity, The reason im asking is im the only one out of all my friends who owns a jeep the rest of em own pickups and do truck pulls so during pulling season they load up and and when they arent pulling we all hang out at the jeep, but my other buddy dosnt pull he just tags along with me so if i made a roof rack which i think im going with 1x1x1/8 or 1/4 square tubing it would be sturdy enough for me and my buddy to chill on top in two fold up chairs? I know it sounds silly but i think it would be freakin sweet and would give us a good shot at the track. oh and if your wondering how im going to mount it i plan to buy six of these bad boys http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...t_Code=RCKMNTS
so what do you guys think? Yay er Nay
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I can’t speak for technical side, or any issues that may arise with weight restrictions, but I like the idea. I know they have rooftop tent systems that mount to the gutters, so I’m sure if you secure it properly you should be fine. You might need to add a few roof crossbars to help distribute the weight though. I have a set of the square Thule ones, and they’re great.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I wouldn't mount it off the gutters. Not to say they aren't strong, but the stock roof rack mounts are way more sturdy. I also like how they keep the rack towards the center of the jeep and not sticking out the side even one bit. In case you even get close to trees, a roof rack will grab a tree pretty easily if it is out to far and you get on an angle. Just my thoughts. Both ways would work fine for you.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

Plus the jeep will be stationary so depending on how solid i construct my rack which i have faith it should support two dudes chillin also Ive looked around and found some decent ideas but im not set on what size i want it to be, Ive seen a couple and they are either too short or too long, what do you guys think would be some decent dimensions? when im not using it for the pulls I want my spare tire mounted and my hi lift jack and still have enough room for some more goodies. What sizes are your guy's?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by esteem
I wouldn't mount it off the gutters. Not to say they aren't strong, but the stock roof rack mounts are way more sturdy. I also like how they keep the rack towards the center of the jeep and not sticking out the side even one bit. In case you even get close to trees, a roof rack will grab a tree pretty easily if it is out to far and you get on an angle. Just my thoughts. Both ways would work fine for you.
The stock rack? I am not sure about that, they are flemsy and are bolted to the roof, whic has no real structural integrity underneath the sheet metal. The gutter rails are atleast running along the joint of the roof and the sides of the jeep. I have personally stood on them trying to climb up my jeep and I would definitely trust those verses the stock rack.

Its all about weight distribution any ways. The more you can split the weight across the roof, the better off you will be. I don't see any issues building a roof rack that can support two people or more.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 AM

Year: 1991

I'm 6'2" about 250lbs and I get on mine no problem. Mine is mounted to the stock roof mounting locations and also to the gutter. There is no flew to mine. I agree that mounting to the stock roof locations is stronger and maybe i went overkill but i like the added protection of the gutter mounts.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Year: 2001

45x60 is A Good size.

I'd consider different mounting options though
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Gutter mount with 4 little "Feet" For supports running parallel with the unibody supports the cross over the drivers head and the rear seat. That will help distribute the weight away from just the gutters.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Gutter mounts are good because you will achieve a lower profile with the roof rack.

However for strength, I would attach to the factory roof rails. They are more bouncy, but they're super tough. Also, if you ever hit a tree, you're less likely to cause unrepairable damage if the roof rack rips off a roof rail rather than the whole gutter of your Jeep.

In addition, four good home depot bolts are all you need to mount a roof rack to the factory roof rails. Just drill in, nut on the end, and you're good to go. If you were wondering, the roof rails will support a large 400 pound man. Someone jumped on mine before I took it off.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Gutter mounts are good because you will achieve a lower profile with the roof rack.

However for strength, I would attach to the factory roof rails. They are more bouncy, but they're super tough. Also, if you ever hit a tree, you're less likely to cause unrepairable damage if the roof rack rips off a roof rail rather than the whole gutter of your Jeep.

In addition, four good home depot bolts are all you need to mount a roof rack to the factory roof rails. Just drill in, nut on the end, and you're good to go. If you were wondering, the roof rails will support a large 400 pound man. Someone jumped on mine before I took it off.

I have seen stock roof racks get ripped off the roof by 3" diameter tree limbs. Ripped it off the roof and caused the rails to leak water into the cab. I still think a well thought out gutter mounted roof rack is the strongest option.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by highspeed
I have seen stock roof racks get ripped off the roof by 3" diameter tree limbs. Ripped it off the roof and caused the rails to leak water into the cab. I still think a well thought out gutter mounted roof rack is the strongest option.
Are we all talking about the same things? We arent suggesting the stock roof racks, those are junk. We are talking about mounting it to the rails.
Name:  DSC01379.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  97.6 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by esteem
Are we all talking about the same things? We arent suggesting the stock roof racks, those are junk. We are talking about mounting it to the rails.
Attachment 178209
That's what I would do, if not the stock roof rack cross-members themselves, which are strong as hell.

I wouldn't do a gutter mount unless I was trying to do a low-profile look.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Ive thought about it and Im gonna do the gutter mounts with six clamps holding it on, three on each side of course. Alot of the wheelin I do I try to avoid any stray branches overhanging the trail so it getting ripped off isnt really a huge concern Also Ive got tinted windows and the backup lights arent too bright on my old 89 so i thought about running two low profile offroad lights on the back of the rack and wiring them into the factory taillight harness good idea?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Ive thought about it and Im gonna do the gutter mounts with six clamps holding it on, three on each side of course. Alot of the wheelin I do I try to avoid any stray branches overhanging the trail so it getting ripped off isnt really a huge concern Also Ive got tinted windows and the backup lights arent too bright on my old 89 so i thought about running two low profile offroad lights on the back of the rack and wiring them into the factory taillight harness good idea?
best suggestion in this thread. period.

you guys saying the stock roof rack mounts are stronger have no idea.

Quick Reply: Roof rack questions