Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reputable cars that you've beat down.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Reputable cars that you've beat down.

Lookin to hear your stories on some reputably fast cars that you've taken for a run on the street.

I'll start.

Twas a bright, sunny Thursday in central Illinois, and I am cruisin to my pop's house. I had just put my teeth grille on the XJ and was lookin to keep up the rep that comes with a grille that says I'm gonna eat you.

I'm on a 2 lane each way road that runs straight through Springfield. (Veterans Parkway). I see a 70's era Pontiac Trans Am in the rearview. Looked identical to this, only not nearly as nice.

I was doin about 60, so, naturally, I slow it down to 50 to let them come up to me.

3 emo kids. I'm already laughin at this point. When they pass me, I drop it in neutral and hit the rev limiter. I have a stock muffler, so it sounds like poop. They laugh and rev back. We roll side by side, and luckily enough, hit a stop light before a mile long stretch till the next light. We're the first in line, no cops in sight. they look at the Jeep and laugh, I smirk and ask if they wanna go on green. I get a hell ya from the driver. I put it in 1st gear, and bring the revs up to about 1750 (right before the tires break), and hold the brakes.

He's just sittin there revvin it up. This beat up old T/A sounds like ***. Light hits green, and I am OFF ON HIS ***! I left him in the dust with a little bit of tire chirp, and some fierce noise comin from the 4.0. ran it up to 70, and had about 6 lengths on him. The look on his face and the faces of his passengers was a look that I will never forget.

They just got their asses ate by an SUV.

Suck on that those who think that Jeeps aren't fast.

Didn't have time to get a video of this one, but I will be getting a video when I race my brother's 95 Nissan Maxima V6. Gonna walk all over that too.

Love, love, love, LOVE my XJ. I'm not WORRRTTHHYY!!

Look forward to your stories!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Kmart164
Didn't have time to get a video of this one, but I will be getting a video when I race my brother's 95 Nissan Maxima V6. Gonna walk all over that too.
Don't get too cocky. Those Maxima's are actually pretty quick. My buddy has a 5 speed 99' and it pulls pretty hard. If you have gears, though, and you can get him off the line, you have a chance. So far, I only really dumped on Hondas and older Toyota pickups. No one else seems to take you seriously when you ask if they want to race when you drive an XJ. I had no muffler for a week or two and I scared the crap out of a Civic when I took off from the light. One time I revved up to a 1970 Camaro (when I had no muffler) and he revved back and looked at me funny. He gave me "the look" and I did the 3 horn beep to start the race and he smoked me. I really just wanted to hear him rip his car down the highway
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Not in the XJ, but I was driving my dads old 76 blazer auto & pulled up to a light & blew a kiss to a hottie driving a older F150! Then I seen her boyfriend lookin at me! Lol So I revd up the small block 350 w/ edlbrock 4 berrel carb, so he gets frantic in telling her how to shift in a race! I winked at her just before the light turned green & power braked the old beast off the line! She didn't stand a chance, but that truck could have had a chance if someone else was driving...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
Don't get too cocky. Those Maxima's are actually pretty quick. My buddy has a 5 speed 99' and it pulls pretty hard. If you have gears, though, and you can get him off the line, you have a chance. So far, I only really dumped on Hondas and older Toyota pickups. No one else seems to take you seriously when you ask if they want to race when you drive an XJ. I had no muffler for a week or two and I scared the crap out of a Civic when I took off from the light. One time I revved up to a 1970 Camaro (when I had no muffler) and he revved back and looked at me funny. He gave me "the look" and I did the 3 horn beep to start the race and he smoked me. I really just wanted to hear him rip his car down the highway
Oh yeah, they're quick. I changed his oil and took it for a test drive. It gets. But where I get most people is off the line. High revs, 1st gear, (auto BTW), and then a throttle dump. I have what I think is the police package, as I have a 120 MPH speedo, a tranny cooler in front of the radiator, but no column shift. But from what I've read, the column was optional.

I have power down low, and actually, an AMAZING amount of 60-80 MPH power. It'll get to 90-95 no problem if I have my foot it in from 60. And it doesn't feel like it's haulin at all.

EDIT: Answer is almost yes to police package. Rubber flooring, and a raise idle switch, also limited slip rear end. Trac-loc? It'll roast em both. =D

Last edited by Kmart164; 04-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

I am not good enough at driving a manual yet. Only been driving one for about a month though. Decided I needed to top my speedometer one day on the free way in the fast lane when the traffic was about 85. I took it to about 90 and my door started to shake so hard I thought it was going to come open.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

This is from "Modern racer.com" I personally think the 0-60 MPH time is under rated. My Jeep is damn fast. Will actually test this pretty soon.

Earlier, Chrysler used to offer their 190 hp 4.0L Jeep Cherokee for pursuit and special duty in 2WD and 4WD form. It has now been discontinued, and the Intrepid and Durango has taken its place in the police market. Acceleration for 0-60mph is 9.5 seconds and top speed is limited to 111 mph. 60-0 mph braking takes 151 feet. Various agencies, such as park rangers, also use modified Jeep Wranglers for off-road patrol use.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 AM

this thread makes me laugh, Jeeps are not race cars by any means...but i guess when your young you will try and race anything....
Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

people always try to race my xj...must be cause its real loud and has a ridiculous hoodscoop so i guess they think its fast idk...but its reaallyy slow. i have the 2.5 four banger. makes me laugh, cause ill rev it up like im gonna race then just sit there when the light turns green.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 AM

Those pre 76 Trans Ams can be worth a very pretty penny! When that car debuted there was nothing like it on the road. If memory serves me correctly the first few years stock production models put out over 300 HP??
Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

So this is a thread about street racing, then?

Street racing is illegal and bad, don't do it.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 2 door

^^^ WEAK SAUSE!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Year: 1988

lmfao!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
^^^ WEAK SAUSE!!!
No, 'weak sauce' is racing illegally on the street and then bragging about it online. It's stupid, it's dangerous, and it shouldn't be done.

Nor should we have a ****-wagging thread about it here, either.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

old freeways and backroads are good^^ most cops dont care unless you're reckless
chrysler 300 hemi beat me off the line but i pulled away
Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM

It doesn't matter where you do it, it's still a danger to yourself and others.

Quick Reply: Reputable cars that you've beat down.