Recovery Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default Recovery Kit Questions

Hi, I am beginning to build a recovery kit and have a couple questions.
1) I saw a Hi-Jack kit that apparently has the business end of an axe, shovel and sledge hammer that uses the Hi-Jack handle. Seems like a space saver and since I plan on getting a Hi-Jack anyway. Curious to know if anyone has any experience with them?

2) Would including 2 or 3 re-bar rods be worthwhile in the event of needing the winch where there were no suitable or any trees available? I am a nooby at this, but it occurred to me this is a possibility and then what?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

What's your plan with re bar?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 AM

Year: 87
Engine: 2.5 4 banger

I think hes thinking of using the rebar as a stake to use as a winch point. if so, dont bother, you wont really be able to get them in solid enough, and if you did, your xj ways a good 3000 lbs. and if its stuck, youll likely just bend the rebar.

I keep a hi-lift, 30ft strap, 6ft tree strap, a ****** block, and 100ft of synthetic winch rope, a 10 ft chain, shovel, and axe in mine.

If youve got a winch, the cable youve got on the winch, and another 100 ft of good winch rope should be able to get you to something solid.

I mean, around here, I have to TRY to find someplace an xj will get stuck with nothing for 200ft.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by rabblerouser
I think hes thinking of using the rebar as a stake to use as a winch point. if so, dont bother, you wont really be able to get them in solid enough, and if you did, your xj ways a good 3000 lbs. and if its stuck, youll likely just bend the rebar.

I keep a hi-lift, 30ft strap, 6ft tree strap, a ****** block, and 100ft of synthetic winch rope, a 10 ft chain, shovel, and axe in mine.

If youve got a winch, the cable youve got on the winch, and another 100 ft of good winch rope should be able to get you to something solid.

I mean, around here, I have to TRY to find someplace an xj will get stuck with nothing for 200ft.
Yes that was my thought, glad I asked as this was helpful. I do not have a winch yet, but plan to get one soon and will get the additional winch rope etc.