Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default Recovery

What kind of recovery setup do you guys run. I never got a chance to set mine up and I will prob use bubba rope and some good d rings on my end but what do you guys use for the other vehicle if they do t have recovery points. Like a rice burner stuck in winter let's say. Pics would be awesome
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Here is a pic of all my stuff. Specifically, to answer your question, I have short 2" chains on my recovery strap. I can loop them around almost anything that way, or still use a clevis.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Here is a pic of all my stuff. Specifically, to answer your question, I have short 2" chains on my recovery strap. I can loop them around almost anything that way, or still use a clevis.
Thanks that helps alot. How is that tow mount d ring, how much is it's towing strength
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If the other vehicle does not have recovery points, don't touch it. Do any damage and you're liable.

Youtube is full of examples of what happens when some idiot attempts to help some other idiot get his jeep,truck, car, etc unstuck with out the proper tow points or recovery gear.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
If the other vehicle does not have recovery points, don't touch it. Do any damage and you're liable.

Youtube is full of examples of what happens when some idiot attempts to help some other idiot get his jeep,truck, car, etc unstuck with out the proper tow points or recovery gear.
That's true and I just thought about it most cars have a recovery loop under it
Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Thanks that helps alot. How is that tow mount d ring, how much is it's towing strength
It is as strong as a class III hitch.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
It is as strong as a class III hitch.
not all are. don't hook up to the little loop attached to the spare tire tub. it's only bonded there.

on a side note, stay away from chains and hooks for recovery. i know people say they use them no problem, but they are dangerous for a shock load recovery.

if the vehicle doesn't have proper tug points and no hitch, use a 30x3 inch strap through the doors, behind the seats and around the rockers under the vehicle and to the front or rear between the wheels. then use a clevis through both loops and another strap to those.
this is proper roadside recovery and is known as a cruise loop.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged

not all are. don't hook up to the little loop attached to the spare tire tub. it's only bonded there.

on a side note, stay away from chains and hooks for recovery. i know people say they use them no problem, but they are dangerous for a shock load recovery.

if the vehicle doesn't have proper tug points and no hitch, use a 30x3 inch strap through the doors, behind the seats and around the rockers under the vehicle and to the front or rear between the wheels. then use a clevis through both loops and another strap to those.
Why when I can picture this it'll be great lol thanks or all the responses though I wanna make a lot and keep some stuff on my rig. I already have basics, jumper cables air compressor but no recovery strap.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92

that's pretty smart thinking ,
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Being in the towing industry I completely agree with this, I have winched more cars out of the ditch this way than I even care to admit.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

yeah, me too. i'm wreck master trained.
comes in so handy when jeeping, let me tell ya. haha.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: rebuilt straight 6

im right about where everyone else is here. as for my recovery gear i have a 30ft 30,000lb (many people dont like chains but i have never had a problem and they are much better in the mud, imo) i also have four 3in straps ranging in length from 5ft to 30ft as well as ratchets to go with it.

as for pulling someone out of a ditch in the winter or anyone without recovery points. if you know them you tell them 1st thing you are not responsible for any damages, if they dont agree you can offer them a ride to the towing company but thats the most i would do. if you dont know them, help at your own risk.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Hello,

Tow strap with metal hook, BAD !!!!!
Straps with loops ONLY.
Good D rings to attach, or 1 " hickory dowel to join loops.

Nitro
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

sorry, it's spelled "cruse loop", not cruise loop.

my bad.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

TOW straps (with out hooks still) are good for a non-shock recovery or when on an obstacle and you cant have the other vehicle roll back, just a nice pull up and over as they have zero "give". They are also good for using when a winch cable is not long enough.

RECOVERY straps are good for snatching and hard recovery, they have more "give" which will allow the strap to stretch and then ****** the stuck vehicle out.

Tree Savers are good to have. I use a broken 3" TOW strap that has been doubled over and looped at the ends. They not only can be used to strap around trees and rocks as anchoring points but if you have to wrap around the axle you dont want to use your good strap.

D-rings, I cary 6, but get a minimum of 3. I have 2- 3/4" and 4- 1" d-rings

Recovery points. A well mounted hitch is good for the rear and front or good quality offroad bumpers.

If they dont have a recovery point you can use the axle but you have to be careful.

the car "loops" I would never yank off of, I have used the beam axles in the rear as a better option. But I still would never yank off of either.

****** Blocks are good to have as they allow you to get a good pull on angle while winching as you want to get the straitest pull posible even if your vehicle is not directly infront of it.

Line weights are a must, a heavy jacket or I have seen a dog bag (the ones that droop over the back of the dog) used as it was filled with weights

Last edited by 96_xj; 05-31-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Recovery