Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear shocks '88 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear shocks '88 Jeep Cherokee

I purchased front and rear shocks online for my '88 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and put them on several weeks ago. Car bottomed out in the rear after installation and after going round and round investigating air bladders and leaf springs to correct the problem, finally determined that the shocks were the issue. Took the new shocks off and took them to Pep Boys and compared them with the old shocks and they confirmed that the new ones definitely don't have the same travel as the original ones. New ones are about an inch short, so it's not bottoming out--the new shock is just overextending when you go over a bump.

I also showed the guy at Pep Boys a picture of the underside of the Jeep and he confirmed that there is no lift, so that is not the issue. Contacted the manufacturer and they insist that the new shock IS the correct one. The extended travel on the new shock is only 19.27 and they said that the travel on the OEM shocks was 19.87. The travel on the old Mopar shocks that I was replacing, which appear to be original, was about 20.5 as I recall. Not sure because I had to put them BACK on.

Appreciate your help if anyone knows what the correct size rear shock is for an '88 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4WD. Thanks.