Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear leafs vs coils

hey guys im trying to figure out what i want to do for suspension on my 2000xj. my plan is for it to be an all around rig. i live about a hour away from silver lake sand dunes so i want it to be able to handle the go fast jeepspeed type stuff. but i also want it to flex good on the trails. my plans for the front is: 5.5" deaver coils. RK 3 or 4 link or clayton 3 link, bilstein 7100s(not sure on valving yet) but im unsure on the rear yet. im thinking either some deaver leafs or a coil conversion. the deavers are ~700 plus a extended shackle and shackle relocators. i dont want to put all this money into leafs if a 4 link rear will perform better for a little more cash. will the rear coils perform better in the dunes than leafs? the main thing im worried about is stability because this is will be a DD on the street as well. ive read that if you use a sway bar in the rear and get a stiffer coil and ill be alright but will it be as stable as leafs? could you guys give me some advice please? thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

The rear coils will perform better all around. It will provide a softer ride and additional flex.

If you're worried about on-road stability, why? So many cars use front/rear coil suspensions, including Jeep Grand Cherokees.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
The rear coils will perform better all around. It will provide a softer ride and additional flex.

If you're worried about on-road stability, why? So many cars use front/rear coil suspensions, including Jeep Grand Cherokees.
ive just read that coils all around arent as stable as leafs in the back and coils up front and would like to hear some more input
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard that. How many vehicles other than pickups have you seen built with leaf springs? Leaf springs perform better under heavy load like you'd get with a pickup or SUV pulling a trailer.

If you can afford to convert to coils I'd do it. They flex better and it's less stress on the unibody.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by Power73
ive just read that coils all around arent as stable as leafs in the back and coils up front and would like to hear some more input
ill disagree with that, coils in the rear can be very stable. and id say even more stable during hill climbs due to the Zero axle wrap of a 4 link.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

both can be made to flex great, and both can be made to handle speed.

Deavers you just bolt in and go, While I havent run them, my buddy does with 35's in the rocks and he has virtually no axle wrap. You don't need shackle relocators with deavers either, just a boomerang shackle. They are made so you get a good shackle angle right out of the box.

I'm also not up to date on jeepspeed rules, but I'm pretty sure they all run leaf springs, and they all do just fine.

A linked rear will be a bit more expensive, and its also quite a bit more work. Everyone who has them claims to be happy with them, but I also think they are comparing it to the cheap/worn leaf sprung setup they previously ran (not deavers or another nicely setup leaf suspension).

The leaf sprung rigs I wheel with go all the same places the linked rear rigs go, just as effectively, I don't feel that there is a Huge advantage to either setup. I just personally hate having leaf springs on a steering axle.

Last edited by ktmracer419; 12-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my Alcan's with coils.
A great improvement in ride quality both on and offroad.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Coils in the rear can feel a little less stable over leaf springs because leaf springs have kind of a self dampening quality to them from the friction of the leafs sliding on eachother.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
ill disagree with that, coils in the rear can be very stable. and id say even more stable during hill climbs due to the Zero axle wrap of a 4 link.
what about at speed in the dunes? and on the street? would i need a rear sway bar so i dont get alot of body roll?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

what about at speed in the dunes? and on the street? would i need a rear sway bar so i dont get alot of body roll?
You would be fine with that setup. I would recommend keeping the sway bar.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
both can be made to flex great, and both can be made to handle speed.

Deavers you just bolt in and go, While I havent run them, my buddy does with 35's in the rocks and he has virtually no axle wrap. You don't need shackle relocators with deavers either, just a boomerang shackle. They are made so you get a good shackle angle right out of the box.

I'm also not up to date on jeepspeed rules, but I'm pretty sure they all run leaf springs, and they all do just fine.

A linked rear will be a bit more expensive, and its also quite a bit more work. Everyone who has them claims to be happy with them, but I also think they are comparing it to the cheap/worn leaf sprung setup they previously ran (not deavers or another nicely setup leaf suspension).

The leaf sprung rigs I wheel with go all the same places the linked rear rigs go, just as effectively, I don't feel that there is a Huge advantage to either setup. I just personally hate having leaf springs on a steering axle.
the only reason i was thinking the relocators because i thought the shackle might hit hit the unibody when flexing? do his deavers flex good? i was a little worried about them flexing because they are pretty stiff. also how much travel is he getting out of them?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
I replaced my Alcan's with coils.
A great improvement in ride quality both on and offroad.
do you feel any less stable on or offroad?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the only reason i was thinking the relocators because i thought the shackle might hit hit the unibody when flexing? do his deavers flex good? i was a little worried about them flexing because they are pretty stiff. also how much travel is he getting out of them?
boomerang shackle takes care of the clearance issue.

they flex fine.

He runs 12" travel shocks.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

do you feel any less stable on or offroad?
Not at all.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Don't forget the TJ's, LJ's, ZJ's, WJ's, & JK's are all coil sprung on all four corners.......

Quick Reply: Rear leafs vs coils