Rattle Canning Trim Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Rattle Canning Trim Pieces

I got a 96 country with black paint and silver trim/bumpers. A while ago i undercoated the back bumper because it was all chipped and the painted looked like hell. So i used undercoating and not bedliner... thru winter then summer it faded really light black and started to get these almost spiderweb cracks in it. So i bought some rustoleum semigloss black and did the bumper and caps. I like the silver, but i thought the whole jeep would look sweet if i did the silver trim in that same black colors aswell and the front bumper and caps and just leave the fender flares silver. Whats your opinion on a)just doing it was spray paint and b)the look of it compared to with all silver now.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: I6

Im gonna rattle can my horrid chrome trim also,its alot easier if you get the trim removal tool from like pep boys etc,that way you can sand em down and paint em without worrying about your paint
Old 08-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: Inline 6

Im just worried about the quality of the paint. If i rough the surface up, and do 3 or 4 nice coats, will it last and look good for atleast a few years?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Do yourself a favor and go get some high quality SEM brand trim paint, follow the directions on the can and you will be much better off

I've used it on several projects, most recently to black out all of the trim on my malibu wagon. It holds up the best of any non-catalyzed paint that I have used.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: I6

Yes if you sand it nice,take your time and do acouple coats it will last for a long time,i did my mustangs windshield trim about 3 yrs about and it hasnt faded or chipped at all
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

With rattle canning anything really it's all about the prep. You won't be using a terribly high quality paint so giving it a good surface to adhere to is especially important. Make sure you sand everything very evenly and more importantly, make sure the area is VERY clean before you start shooting it with color. As far as durability, bedliner material seems to hold up better than undercoating on the topside of a vehicle, and it is more resistant to fading too. Though if a glossy finish is what you're after you'll just have to focus on good prep even more, and don't get ahead of yourself, alot of thin coats will result in a better finish with gloss paint that a few heavy coats.