Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default R.I.P. "Jeepster"

We have TWO Cherokees in our driveway.
First one we bought was a 91 Laredo ($750 eBay) about 165,000 on the odometer, this was about 5 years ago. SHE nicknamed it "Jeepster"
Three years ago, I purchased my own 94 Sport ($1500 Craigslist) with a few more miles then HERS.

Long story short. Not long ago, Jeepster caught a case of "NLS" (Noisy Lifter Syndrome) It came and went and came back again. The usual therapy was done to try and cure the NLS but to no avail.

A few weeks ago it got VERY annoying. I went out and got 2 "diesel" emblems from the J/Y. At least when people looked at it.."OH...Its a diesel"

2 weeks ago, on her way to work (26mi commute) it got REAL bad.
Turns out the motor was on its last leg.
The tap turned into a KNOCK. Before she could get it pulled over...BANG then flat-line.

DEAD

Spun rod-bearing and internal damage.
Pulled dipstick and there was about 1.5 GAL of creaminess...ewwwwwww

R.I.P. "Jeepster" You shall be missed.

On a happier note: I am glad to say, the void created by "Jeepster"s departure has been filled.
Another 91 Laredo ($900 -private sale) with 190,000mi and a quiet, smooth running motor and a new "inspection" which quickly turned out to be merely a new "sticker" NOT an inspection
So far all the replacement part transplant operations have been successful, with no signs of rejection.
Everything the "new guy" needs has been glady donated from the carcass of Jeepster

P.S. I have NO garage to work in, just a stone driveway and another DD is a must have ASAP. Replacing the motor (at this point in time) was not an option.