Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pros and cons to Line X exterior paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pros and cons to Line X exterior paint job?

Thinking about doing this and just want to get peoples opinion. I pretty much know the "pros", but i want to know the cons from people who have done this or do this for a living.

Ive heard that it adds a **** load of weight, and ive heard that it doesnt. Does anyone know for sure?

if it does add a considerable amount of weight, does anyone notice a large drop in MPG?

How thick is it sprayed on? Does it make things (bumbers, roof racks, aftermarket accessories, etc) not fit like they would if you just had paint?

If i dent the car, will the liner dent with the metal, or will it crack and peel off? would removing a dent, that would otherwise be easy with paint, be harder to line x?

Does anyone have any pictures of Jeep XJ (or any vehicle really) with a different color than black? Like red, deep amethyst (deep, deep purple), or a nice green color?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I apply industrial Line-X 8its the same as automotive we just can't legally apply it to a vehicle* It is rather heavy the nature of the polyurea is that its 100% solids. Thickness wise its between 1/8 and 1/4" thick. I am sure you can get them to just apply a light coat and texture to save on the thickness and weight. If you are worried about things mating properly again all you have to do is mask the mating areas with High Temp tape to keep them clean and you will be fine. The jeep will be very difficult to dent due to the tight matrix and surface tension of the Line-X but it is pliable so if you do whack something it shouldn't disbond. Hope this helps