Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Problems in repairs (AAARRRRGH) A place to let it out.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problems in repairs (AAARRRRGH) A place to let it out.

Figured we all need a room that we can Vent in about problems we are having with our XJs..

I am in the process of a week+ long ordeal involving multiple installs and upgrades. First was a new alumn 3 core radiator (actually went well). Then a new Smittybuilt XRB bumper; snapped 2 of 3 steering box bolts, so I went and took the opportunity to upgrade it to a Dodge box, then ended up twisting pressure side line off of the XJs original and upon inspection noticed my spacer was seized to the remainder of the bolts and had snapped in several places. Not to mention the 6hrs it took to swap Pitman arms from the XJ to Dodge. Looped my pressure to my return to keep pump lubed in order to make a late night last min trip to town 30miles each way to pick up a new pressure line only for them to say they were wrong they didnt have it in stock and would have it in 2 days. Decided to use the odd 50 degree beautiful weather in S.E. Ks in late December to install my 3in Trail Master full lift kit. Upper Shock mount bolts (all 4) snapped and after trying to remove the broken studs ended up knocking a nut plate loose so decided it would be easier to just knock the other 3 out and weld new ones in. While waiting on a friend to drop off 4 new bolts started removing the leaf springs. Found out that both my rear shackles were damaged, one was even snapped in half. Put that on hold for a salvage run and found both front bolts were seized in place. Switched to the front lift found my sway bar was bent beyond use so pulled it for replacement with ZJ and the salvage yard run also snapped both links, still rolled with the punches and figured I would replace them with new upgrades anyway. Finished front lift and returned to the rear leaf problem.. Worked for 3hrs or so heating and applying an ungodly amount of torque to finally get the passenger loose with the hopes of getting to the salvage yard to pull the needed parts only to find they closed early and would be closed for New Years as well as the next 3 days. Knowing the good weather would be up by the time I would be able to make it to the yard (30deg and raining) I decided to use the remaining day to get whatever I could done. 2 hours of working on the Drivers front hanger bolt only to have it too snap. Went to get my grinder with hopes of cutting the spring open to get to the bolt only to find my angle grinder had been borrowed and was 400 miles away. Now after spending a full week fighting to overcome obstacles with the hopes of 4X4ing on New years day here I sit with my Jeep out of commission for the next couple days, my GTO sittin in my garage awaiting a lower engine kit and now lost the chance for this weather being so nice..
Sorry, I know it is a long post but figured others have had their amount of project SNAFU and maybe a place to be heard by some that have had similar experiences...

Last edited by scorpion66772; 01-02-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM

Year: 2000

Oh man! Nothing but sympathy here. More often than not something goes awry when I do a repair or project but I have never strung together the number of miscues to that you encountered over a weekend! Good for you that you did not just burn it to the ground.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Wow that's quite the Pandora's Box. I believe someday this will turn into happy memories for you. Keep your chin up.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM

You mean someone actually has problems during repairs???
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Broken, rusty bolts are the best!

Seriously, I would never tackle all that work at once. Leaf springs alone are soul crushing.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Finally got everything taken care of and installed but now I have a grinding in my rear end when I let off the gas at 45+MPH. Figure its Ring N Pin gonna look into it today..

Last edited by scorpion66772; 01-11-2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: add