Sponsored by: DashLynx

Prepping for storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Prepping for storage

I'm putting my XJ in storage while I am stationed overseas for 3yrs. I have a buddy that will check on it monthly, turn it over, and roll the tires. Any recommendations on what I should do for prepping?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by NickH
I'm putting my XJ in storage while I am stationed overseas for 3yrs. I have a buddy that will check on it monthly, turn it over, and roll the tires. Any recommendations on what I should do for prepping? Thanks
If it sits that long couldn't you also just put it up on jack stands and drain the fluids and let it sit with no need to check on it?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Wouldn't draining the fluids lead to corrosion, seal cracking, and potentially more harm than good? Seems like a bad idea.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Change the oil and set the axles on jack stands. Having your buddy start it every now and then could do more harm than good. Add some fuel stabilizer to the tank and drive it until it's almost empty. Put a bag of charcoal and a box of baking powder in the jeep to absorb moisture. You can pretty much count on needing a new battery when you get back, so just disconnect it in case there are chewing rodents that may short something out. Give the jeep a good wash and wax, it may help keep rust away and protect against bird poop. Clean the inside out too, mice love those old French fries that end up under the seat. Plus it will be nice to come home to a clean interior and not have to deal with a mess.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

My dad had to do that with his old tbird for two years. He had a family friend drive it once a month while it was stored in a shed. Your best bet would be to have someone drive it once in a while instead of sitting.

Mothball the interior. I have heard of people completely filling the motor with oil but I don't know if that really helps. Mine as well give the battery away or sell it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
My dad had to do that with his old tbird for two years. He had a family friend drive it once a month while it was stored in a shed. Your best bet would be to have someone drive it once in a while instead of sitting. Mothball the interior. I have heard of people completely filling the motor with oil but I don't know if that really helps. Mine as well give the battery away or sell it.
He'll yeah sell the battery, and I was thinking also: if you put the jeep and axels up on jacks you could just sell the tires instead of worrying about dry rot
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I am storing it at a boat storage facility, fully enclosed with gravel floor. Power is in the facility too allowing for trickle charge. Because of the gravel floor I am not sure I want to attempt jack stands. I like the idea of fuel stabilizer, baking powder and charcol in the interior. My buddy is always a Jeep guy and knows what he is doing. He will prolly pull it out of storage for me about 6 months to a year out to get it all sorted and add whatever mods I have been wanting to do.

I was also planning on utilizing a car cover as well.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

I sold my new set of tires the other week and have my spare but good set of rubber on right now. I am going to leave those and go with new rubber when I return. My batt....shoot that thing wasn't cheap. I think it's the duralast platinum I bought about a year ago when my red top took a crap. Pretty sure it was a 5yr warranty but I'll have to double check.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

I am storing it at a boat storage facility, fully enclosed with gravel floor. Power is in the facility too allowing for trickle charge. Because of the gravel floor I am not sure I want to attempt jack stands. I like the idea of fuel stabilizer, baking powder and charcol in the interior. My buddy is always a Jeep guy and knows what he is doing. He will prolly pull it out of storage for me about 6 months to a year out to get it all sorted and add whatever mods I have been wanting to do.

I was also planning on utilizing a car cover as well.
Your tires will be shot if you don't get them off the ground. You could throw down some mats for the jacks.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I know they will be shot after 3yrs, they were new as of a couple of years ago. My buddy was going to drive the Jeep every month through the parking lot and back into storage. I figured that would be enough. Don't think so?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

I know they will be shot after 3yrs, they were new as of a couple of years ago. My buddy was going to drive the Jeep every month through the parking lot and back into storage. I figured that would be enough. Don't think so?
Should be good then. Mine sat for a month before. I would make sure the motor and transmission both get to operating temp and at least through all the gears.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You have two options let a friend drive it here and there or true storage.True storage you put it on jack stands fuel stabilizer in the tank take the battery out and placed on a block of wood.You put a open box of baking soda in it with one window cracked for air flow.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The jack stands are easy to do had to do it on every surface always carried plywood scrap 3/4" cut square's about 18" with me for the race car stands in dirt or gravel pits.

On the ratcheting portion of the stand after lifting cut some sheet metal disks with a very small piece cut in the center and a slot cut to it from the outside. Secure it together however you want I use wire and holes in the metal. After placing them around the stands and securing them then force steel wool into any holes remaining in the center.

You will not have any rodent problems unless you park it to close to something. It does work I have done it for years when I buy something I plan on rebuilding or needing interior parts from and left out side the shop buildings..

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 02-19-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

If I was you I would see about keeping it at your friends house. Save him the trip back and fourth to the storage yard. That way he can move it around and drive it without going out of his way
Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
The jack stands are easy to do had to do it on every surface always carried plywood scrap 3/4" cut square's about 18" with me for the race car stands in dirt or gravel pits.

On the ratcheting portion of the stand after lifting cut some sheet metal disks with a very small piece cut in the center and a slot cut to it from the outside. Secure it together however you want I use wire and holes in the metal. After placing them around the stands and securing them then force steel wool into any holes remaining in the center.

You will not have any rodent problems unless you park it to close to something. It does work I have done it for years when I buy something I plan on rebuilding or needing interior parts from and left out side the shop buildings..
Good call, anything else?

Quick Reply: Prepping for storage