XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Pre-purchase questions.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pre-purchase questions.

Hey there everyone

Several years ago I had an 87 xj and loved it but it bit the dust. I ended up getting a 93 f150 Right price right time. I have had that for several years now it still runs but everything around the engine is falling apart so it is just about that time again to look into a replacement which has brought me back here to ask all of you a bunch of annoying questions so enjoy that!

I wound up sniffing around craigslist for the past couple weeks and seen vehicles come and go, ran into dead ends and scams but finally I came across someone selling a 2002 Grand Cherokee really clean looking but has some problems so that's where my questions will come in.

Here is the craigslist ad so you can take a look.
http://outerbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5344158710.html

The main thing I am concerned about is the transfer case issue. It's not something I am going to repair myself so I was wondering if any of you have any kind of idea about how much something like that might cost to get fixed?

Is the transfer case needed for ordinary driving or can I drive it just fine without it until I get the money to get it fixed? Does that model/year's drive system need it fully functional all the time?

Secondly the high looking mileage. Is it even worth buying and repairing at 220k or am I looking at a future of pain and frustration?

I e-mailed the owner and they said even with the problems it has they are able to drive it and have driven it recently though of course it ran rough due to the coil pack issue.

The end goal is to end up with something that I can jump in and rely on to get me out on longer road trips without worrying and hold up under normal day to day driving for a few years. Last trip I took I had to rent a car and that's an expense that I don't really want to have to deal with again.

Sorry for the stupid long post. Any info, suggestions, input is much appreciated.

Listed below is the second Jeep I have had my eye on. Worried about the electrical problems though. I know it could be a really simple fix but really don't want to get into electrical problems and being a 96 I don't think I would hit the road with it.
1996 XJ http://outerbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5271568156.html
Old 12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
Hey there everyone Several years ago I had an 87 xj and loved it but it bit the dust. I ended up getting a 93 f150 Right price right time. I have had that for several years now it still runs but everything around the engine is falling apart so it is just about that time again to look into a replacement which has brought me back here to ask all of you a bunch of annoying questions so enjoy that! I wound up sniffing around craigslist for the past couple weeks and seen vehicles come and go, ran into dead ends and scams but finally I came across someone selling a 2002 Grand Cherokee really clean looking but has some problems so that's where my questions will come in. Here is the craigslist ad so you can take a look. http://outerbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5344158710.html The main thing I am concerned about is the transfer case issue. It's not something I am going to repair myself so I was wondering if any of you have any kind of idea about how much something like that might cost to get fixed? Is the transfer case needed for ordinary driving or can I drive it just fine without it until I get the money to get it fixed? Does that model/year's drive system need it fully functional all the time? Secondly the high looking mileage. Is it even worth buying and repairing at 220k or am I looking at a future of pain and frustration? I e-mailed the owner and they said even with the problems it has they are able to drive it and have driven it recently though of course it ran rough due to the coil pack issue. The end goal is to end up with something that I can jump in and rely on to get me out on longer road trips without worrying and hold up under normal day to day driving for a few years. Last trip I took I had to rent a car and that's an expense that I don't really want to have to deal with again. Sorry for the stupid long post. Any info, suggestions, input is much appreciated. Listed below is the second Jeep I have had my eye on. Worried about the electrical problems though. I know it could be a really simple fix but really don't want to get into electrical problems and being a 96 I don't think I would hit the road with it. 1996 XJ http://outerbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5271568156.html
I don't know much about WJs but I'm pretty sure that it won't be drivable unless you get the transfer case fixed, you can drive without it, it's part of the drivetrain. As for the second jeep you posted, looks to me all it need is the ground wires on battery, engine block, and firewall need to be cleaned.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
I don't know much about WJs but I'm pretty sure that it won't be drivable unless you get the transfer case fixed, you can drive without it, it's part of the drivetrain. As for the second jeep you posted, looks to me all it need is the ground wires on battery, engine block, and firewall need to be cleaned.
Thanks for the assist. I keep finding different info about the WJ drive train. Some info says it's fine as long as you don't use 4wd and other info says the transfer case is always doing work.

As for the 96, I have been looking really hard at that one too. Sounds like the ground wires to me too seems to be a pretty common problem on those ones. The instruments peg all the way to one side if that's the case right?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends if it has a awd case or not,I would be worried about the head on it,The wj 99 to sometime in 02 got the 0331 head aka the one that can crack if over heated.The xj depends how bad the interior is if that matters to you and the wiring could be something simple or a big job.I would look at both and maybe buy the xj since its a 2 door.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Depends if it has a awd case or not,I would be worried about the head on it,The wj 99 to sometime in 02 got the 0331 head aka the one that can crack if over heated.The xj depends how bad the interior is if that matters to you and the wiring could be something simple or a big job.I would look at both and maybe buy the xj since its a 2 door.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will end up looking at both. Just a pain in the neck because it's pretty clear that everyone is trying to get rid of their junk for the holidays.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

The wj iirc because its the 4.0 Is going to have the 247. If its bad, hows the time to swap a 242 in the one time and be done with it. Iirc the 247 Is a full time TC but Dave needs to get his butt in here to confirm. For $800, if the head isn't gone, that's a good price esp for a parts WJ. The 4.0 though I believe is a dog for the WJ due to its extra weight but that's just hearsay for me, I dont have first hand experience