Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Help! Part out or Licence my Built XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Please Help! Part out or Licence my Built XJ?

Tittle says problem. So I work mostly out of town. Found a good deal on CL and had my brother buy this XJ for me. Needed some work but still got a great deal. Well he put the Tittle and Bill of Sale in his Coat. His wife then washed his coat with out checking the pockets. Now I don't know the guys name I bought the Jeep from. The Washington State Department Of Licencing said I have to have a notarized bill of sale from the owner proving he did sale it to me. Well thats impossible.

So now I am at the point that I am forced to part it out and I hate to see a 2000 Cherokee XJ with 95,xxx miles get taking off the road cause some dirt bag on CL. I have even emailed the dude offering him a couple hundred cash to send a new bill of sale. Still nothing. If anyone might know a way to get the owners name from Licence plate of VIN# please inform me> I ran a Car iax but does not sure anything. Only way I have heard is find a cop> But only time i talk with them is when I get pulled over.

So am I SOL or What?

Ryan
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Why not go back to the guys house that you bought it from and have him right another one for you or you can get his name and forge his signature but its illegal if you get caught
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 AM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

I thought this title sounded familiar. I read this topic on Reddit yesterday...painful to hear
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Some notaries can run the tag number for you for a fee...or call your police department..tell them what is going on and see what they can do...Im sure the old owner can be tracked down
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

I would do one of two things.....
  1. Go the bonded title route.
  2. Find the previous with CL ad or just visit the home where he bought it and give that guy $100 to get the paperwork.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jeepaholic
Some notaries can run the tag number for you for a fee...or call your police department..tell them what is going on and see what they can do...Im sure the old owner can be tracked down
^ I would try this.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by jeepaholic
X2
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by Ryans96XJ
So now I am at the point that I am forced to part it out and I hate to see a 2000 Cherokee XJ with 95,xxx miles get taking off the road cause some dirt bag on CL.
Why is he a "dirtbag"? - your brother's wife screwed up, not him. Nothing like blaming the wrong person. For all he knows you're trying to run some kind of scam. A second bill of sale? Dude, I gave you one before - you screwed up. Even if you tracked him down, he still doesn't have to & might not help. And no one can make him do it.

I feel your pain but seriously? You might have to chalk this up to experience.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Why is he a "dirtbag"? - your brother's wife screwed up, not him. Nothing like blaming the wrong person. For all he knows you're trying to run some kind of scam. A second bill of sale? Dude, I gave you one before - you screwed up. Even if you tracked him down, he still doesn't have to & might not help. And no one can make him do it.

I feel your pain but seriously? You might have to chalk this up to experience.

Your 100% right honestly. I realized that in a way when I was typing this out. In all reality it all comes back onto me and my lack of judgement. Couple things a my problem. I should have had the guys info for the just in case like right now.

The issue is that I live in Tacoma and my brother was living in Spokane where I purchased the jeep from> Now he moved back to Tacoma. I have the guys email address and thought I had his number. But number is wrong.

I like the police station Idea. I know they can find the info my running a licence plate. But not sure if they would do it. I will check on that tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas. I am also working with the DMV to fill out a bunch of papers to get the last owners address then have to send a certified letter and wait for response. If there is nothing after 30 days I take it down to the state patrol inspection center. there they will confirm and check to make sure its not stolen. Then they will issue a tittle to me. But I will have to wait 3 years for the tittle. This is the info I got today at the DOL. Thanks again to you guys and hopefully I can get a hold of the guy/
Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 AM

I hate to hear all the junk you're having to go through, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. As far as the possible 3 year wait on the title, I think that's complete horsesh1t. I would hate to see that XJ parted out, maybe you could just use it as strictly a trail rig and haul it to go play.