Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Pitiful Answer

So I’m kinda lookin for someone to go trailridin with, nothin extreme as I still don’t have any armor, geared too high and open diffs. I see this XJ today with a lift, big tares, winch, and a light bar across the top of the windshield(which should gave me a hint). I pull in and get out bragging bout what a good lookin rig he has and ask the question if he ever goes off-roading. “Well no” he says not really 😳. Guess I’ll keep lookin, surely someone around with all the lifted big Tar Jeeps around gets off the black top.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

So, where you at? I agree, lots of Maul wheelers
Old 03-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
So, where you at? I agree, lots of Maul wheelers
A few hrs from you in southern WV. We have some great trails, look it up on you tube- Hatfield/McCoy trails Bear Wallow. It was all ATV / SXS trails until last year when they started allowing full sized vehicles.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

i see a pattern with this.... people put high dollar parts (maybe china too) to look cool and offroady but never do what its meant to do meanwhile i see someone with a small non lifted jeep utterly filthy with mud and what was even worse was a new cherokee was just packed with mud and next to it in a parking lot was a massive lifted jeep wrangler with freshly washed paint and tire shine and not a speck of mud anywhere to be seen granted he must wash his jeeps good
Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I go thru a bottle of tire shine every week....NOT!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Tire shine, they make stuff like that?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Funny, I was explaining to my 8 year old grand daughter what a Mall Crawler was and she responded with " why would you own a Jeep and not take it on trails or in the mud, that's just stupid!"
Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

To me, adding all that stuff and not taking it off road is like marrying a supermodel and then locking her in the basement. The only "fun" she ever has is when friends come over and shes allowed upstairs so everyone can stare at her while they all high five one another. Once they leave, its back to the basement. Thats what i think of when i hear the term "mall crawler". Sound about right?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly dont mind it. A lot of bro trucks look funny with their wide tires and 22s, but its their money, it doesn't bother me....i lve heard alot of people say why do you spend so much on offroad parts when the vehicle gets beat up. Funny i know, but ive heard it. Every group has people that either love it or hate it.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't care if they have mall crawlers. Wife and I just snicker about it
Old 03-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I respect the look of a lifted Jeep or truck for pure aesthetics but adding things to it in order to make it look tougher is where I draw the line. Having a snorkel, light bar, brand new shovel, and an ax, jerry cans, etc all look silly to me when it's not used.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Different strokes for different folks. I openly confess that mine would qualify as a "mall crawler" in the eyes of many/most forum users as it is rarely taken off-road except light trails, and, yes, I do use tire shine on it. Lol!

Having been through muscle-car/hot-rod and motorcycling phases in my youth and wanting to tackle something new to me I chose a Jeep project.

After purchasing it and beginning work and realizing I had a clean, straight, original platform to work with combined with the increasing market-value of the XJ, I couldn't bring myself to damage this particular unit off-roading it, so instead focused on preserving it and simply making a good thing better, whatever that meant. And, thus far, I've succeeded in that and continue to refine and tweak and upgrade after owning it for 6 years, which is the longest I have ever owned any one vehicle and I have owned many (probably close to 30 or so). Lol!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Hey I understand if you want to restore or preserve and keep it lookin like showroom quality, but this was not the case. It was nothin close with flat back paint and lookin like a beater with no attention to detail. There is an ole Wrangler near by that is parked under a shed that is always shinny that is only driven on sunny days. I wouldn’t even think about askin him to go off of the blacktop. There are 2 Rubicons owned by women that don’t even know what lockers are by the way and have, I doubt, been in 4 wheel drive except for some snow days. If they only knew what their Jeeps are capable of I think they would love to go off roadin.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's like owning a boat and never wanting to get it wet. lol
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by samiam
Hey I understand if you want to restore or preserve and keep it lookin like showroom quality, but this was not the case. It was nothin close with flat back paint and lookin like a beater with no attention to detail. There is an ole Wrangler near by that is parked under a shed that is always shinny that is only driven on sunny days. I wouldn’t even think about askin him to go off of the blacktop. There are 2 Rubicons owned by women that don’t even know what lockers are by the way and have, I doubt, been in 4 wheel drive except for some snow days. If they only knew what their Jeeps are capable of I think they would love to go off roadin.
Just like ricers, muscle cars, oldies, and any other faction of car groups. Do the ricers or muscle car folk go racing, drifting, anyrhing but cruise? Probably not...but its what peaks their interest. Those women probably just like jeeps. Hell, owning a jeep is like a proud achievement for most people that own them just because of the lore and reputation. "I drive a jeep!" They dont say "i drive an suv" like you would say with anything else but a jeep.

Quick Reply: Pitiful Answer