XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Parts + What works?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.oL
Default Parts + What works?

Hey I'm new to the Jeep world and wanted to ask you all this question. How compatible are Jeep parts with one another? Such as will parts from a 98 xj fit an 01 xj? There are a few at a junk yard near by, but I don't want to go rip parts off if they are not going to fit. Such as a rear bumper or something similar. I need a rear tow hitch my jeep didn't come with one so I wanted to unbolt one from the junk yard and put it on myself, but if it wont fit, then I don't want to waste my time or money.

Thanks.

If this has been asked somewhere else I apologize, I searched but didn't find anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l high output

Your good to go. Pretty much everything(except some interior and tailights and hatch) are all swapable from 84-01.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM

Default sweet

fantastic. Thanks for the quick reply. I bought the haynes repair manual and assumed it was all basically interchangeable since the years on the manual is good from 84-01. I'm a happy man right now. Now its time to learn more about tire sizes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

thats y i love xjs,they are mostly all interchangeable parts
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Davicl81
Hey I'm new to the Jeep world and wanted to ask you all this question. How compatible are Jeep parts with one another? Such as will parts from a 98 xj fit an 01 xj? There are a few at a junk yard near by, but I don't want to go rip parts off if they are not going to fit. Such as a rear bumper or something similar. I need a rear tow hitch my jeep didn't come with one so I wanted to unbolt one from the junk yard and put it on myself, but if it wont fit, then I don't want to waste my time or money.

Thanks.

If this has been asked somewhere else I apologize, I searched but didn't find anything.
So I could get a 4x4 transmison and axle and the rest from a newer or older from a junk yeard cause I have a 1994 jeep cherokee 2 door and its 2wd and I dont know if I should convert it or just lock it
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth2461
So I could get a 4x4 transmison and axle and the rest from a newer or older from a junk yeard cause I have a 1994 jeep cherokee 2 door and its 2wd and I dont know if I should convert it or just lock it
I'm personally not sure as I am still learning about all of this. I'm new to the Jeep world. Wanted a Jeep my whole life and finally got one...lol. Hopefully someone will answer your question.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Stealth2461
A very easy swap, a bolt on job that will only take a weekend to do once you have all of the parts required. Front axle (making sure the ratio is the same as the rear axle), front driveshaft, transmission and transfercase, rear drive shaft, t-case selector linkage and handle, and the center consol with the bezel. If you look hard enough, you could find a wrecked XJ on craigslist for dirt cheap and do a swap, might even be cheaper going that route than it would be to source parts from the boneyard.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

There's an awesome thread in the forum that is called "budget builds. What junkyard parts will fit." It has been very helpful in my build. I can't copy the link BC I'm on my phone but you should be able to search for it, its an awesome post and people add to it almost daily! Check it out.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by bholt1984
There's an awesome thread in the forum that is called "budget builds. What junkyard parts will fit." It has been very helpful in my build. I can't copy the link BC I'm on my phone but you should be able to search for it, its an awesome post and people add to it almost daily! Check it out.
Sorry, its listed exactly as: "budget builds: what junkyard parts will fit Cherokee"
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Heres just a list of most everything that works

Suspension & Lift:
1. ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2. F-150/Bronco Coils (70-ish) = 4-4.5" lift Very stiff! (most common, different heights are listed from almost everybody, this is just the most common)
3. S10 leaf packs (cut eyes off S10 main and bolt pack under XJ main) = 3-4" lift but many need degree shims
4. JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift
5. MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
6. Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift
7. Dakota Bastard Pack (do same as with S10 pack) = ~4" lift
8. Full size Blazer Bastard Pack (do same as S10 pack) = 4-4.5" lift (may require use of shims) may be stiffer than S10 leafs
9. Any 2.5" wide leaf spring can be used between to make a bastard pack (they may differ in stiffness and lift)
10. ZJ spring isolators = stronger, metal core, can be stacked
11. Thunderbird Front Coils ('83-97) = 3-4" lift (varies in lift and softness by year and trim package), will need top plate from strut too
12. S10 Shocks (Rear only) = good for the lift you will get when you do a bastard pack
13. TJ Lift Coils (front only) = provide 1" less lift on an XJ than on a TJ
14. . GM full-size pickup shackles ('95-99) = 1.5" lift
15. MJ rear bump stops, longer than stock (I believe just under double) and are much cheaper than new ones.
16. XJ 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch tcase drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance

Brakes:
1. WJ brake booster
2. WJ Master Cylinder
3. YJ Brake Lines = 3-4" longer
4. Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts)
5. WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)
6. Models same as 96 dodge Dakota rear brake hose = 6 inches longer than stock
7. ZJ brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve = may need for disc conversion
8. XJ '95+ brake booster and master cylinder = dual diaphragm
9. GM C/K1500 Front break lines ('90-95) = 6" longer
10. KJ disc brake set-ups can be used for a conversion on 8.25

Axles:
1. Ford 8.8 inch ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (3.55, 3.73, 4.10, maybe LSD, Disc Brakes)
2. XJ I-4 & V6 = 4.10 gears (some have 4.56) may have vacuum discos
3. 97+ XJ 8.25 = bolt in and upgrades to 29 spline (strength comparable to D44)
4. Liberty 8.25 has rear disk brakes and is 29 spline
5. XJ D44 = found in some but not all '87-'89 XJ's with Towing Package
6. Lincoln Lockers = welded spider gears, operates like a spool, must be a GOOD welder (Can be weak and its only as strong as the weld)
7. MJ D44 = need new spring perches and shock mounts because it is under sprung
8. XJ D30 = ('95-'99) non-disconnect, larger u-joints, high pinion (more strength and clearance), and bolts in

Front End & Steering:
1. ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2. WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3. Durango Steering Box = beefier
4. 350 or 351 Power Steering Pump = helps with oversize tires (requires welding)
5. WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6. ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock
7. WJ rear LCA's = replace XJ front LCA's, 2" longer to accomodate a lift, some grinding
required
8. JK rear upper control arms replace XJ front lowers, good for 4-4.5 inches of lift but may need new bushings to keep from rattling
9. V8 ZJ front sway-bar (Beefier and stronger)
10. WJ power steering pump (fits '96+, plug return hole, and use XJ pulley)

Engine Performance:
1. Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2. Mustang 5.0 Injectors = bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3. ZJ V8 alternator = more power to run accessories (some grinding required) 136A
4. Ford Electric Fan ('90-95 3.8L Taurus, '87-93 5.0L Mustang) = replaces mechanical fan, more cooling
5. 2.5L Dakota Alternator = bolt in, upgrades to 117A
6. Dodge Neon Injectors = better throttle response
7. '94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
8. ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for the stock fin style)
9. Hood vents (Lebaron, Laser, Turbo Thunderbird etc.) = help keep 4.0 cool at low speeds
10. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
11. 94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
Body/ Interior/ Armor
1. 97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails, also have one piece windows
2. MJ/2 Door XJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, bolt in
3. ZJ gas tank skid = can be modified to fit 97+
4. GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
5. XJ '97+ doors onto older cherokees = one piece windows and better mirrors
6. XJ overhead console (provides space for switches or what ever)
7. '97+ center console = can be made to fit '96 and older, gives you cup holders
8.'96-00 Ford Explorer hatch shocks = lift your hatch about 3" lower but are beefier (ever see one that doesn't work?) need modification for '97+
9. OEM skid plates (Engine, Tranny, T-case, gas tank, found on "Up-Country" package XJ's, not necessarily the “Country” trim package)
10. OEM swing-out tire carriers, get the bumper with it, found mainly on '84-'90 XJ's
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by DUDE454
Heres just a list of most everything that works

Suspension & Lift:
1. ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2. F-150/Bronco Coils (70-ish) = 4-4.5" lift Very stiff! (most common, different heights are listed from almost everybody, this is just the most common)
3. S10 leaf packs (cut eyes off S10 main and bolt pack under XJ main) = 3-4" lift but many need degree shims
4. JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift
5. MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
6. Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift
7. Dakota Bastard Pack (do same as with S10 pack) = ~4" lift
8. Full size Blazer Bastard Pack (do same as S10 pack) = 4-4.5" lift (may require use of shims) may be stiffer than S10 leafs
9. Any 2.5" wide leaf spring can be used between to make a bastard pack (they may differ in stiffness and lift)
10. ZJ spring isolators = stronger, metal core, can be stacked
11. Thunderbird Front Coils ('83-97) = 3-4" lift (varies in lift and softness by year and trim package), will need top plate from strut too
12. S10 Shocks (Rear only) = good for the lift you will get when you do a bastard pack
13. TJ Lift Coils (front only) = provide 1" less lift on an XJ than on a TJ
14. . GM full-size pickup shackles ('95-99) = 1.5" lift
15. MJ rear bump stops, longer than stock (I believe just under double) and are much cheaper than new ones.
16. XJ 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch tcase drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance

Brakes:
1. WJ brake booster
2. WJ Master Cylinder
3. YJ Brake Lines = 3-4" longer
4. Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts)
5. WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)
6. Models same as 96 dodge Dakota rear brake hose = 6 inches longer than stock
7. ZJ brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve = may need for disc conversion
8. XJ '95+ brake booster and master cylinder = dual diaphragm
9. GM C/K1500 Front break lines ('90-95) = 6" longer
10. KJ disc brake set-ups can be used for a conversion on 8.25

Axles:
1. Ford 8.8 inch ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (3.55, 3.73, 4.10, maybe LSD, Disc Brakes)
2. XJ I-4 & V6 = 4.10 gears (some have 4.56) may have vacuum discos
3. 97+ XJ 8.25 = bolt in and upgrades to 29 spline (strength comparable to D44)
4. Liberty 8.25 has rear disk brakes and is 29 spline
5. XJ D44 = found in some but not all '87-'89 XJ's with Towing Package
6. Lincoln Lockers = welded spider gears, operates like a spool, must be a GOOD welder (Can be weak and its only as strong as the weld)
7. MJ D44 = need new spring perches and shock mounts because it is under sprung
8. XJ D30 = ('95-'99) non-disconnect, larger u-joints, high pinion (more strength and clearance), and bolts in

Front End & Steering:
1. ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2. WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3. Durango Steering Box = beefier
4. 350 or 351 Power Steering Pump = helps with oversize tires (requires welding)
5. WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6. ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock
7. WJ rear LCA's = replace XJ front LCA's, 2" longer to accomodate a lift, some grinding
required
8. JK rear upper control arms replace XJ front lowers, good for 4-4.5 inches of lift but may need new bushings to keep from rattling
9. V8 ZJ front sway-bar (Beefier and stronger)
10. WJ power steering pump (fits '96+, plug return hole, and use XJ pulley)

Engine Performance:
1. Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2. Mustang 5.0 Injectors = bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3. ZJ V8 alternator = more power to run accessories (some grinding required) 136A
4. Ford Electric Fan ('90-95 3.8L Taurus, '87-93 5.0L Mustang) = replaces mechanical fan, more cooling
5. 2.5L Dakota Alternator = bolt in, upgrades to 117A
6. Dodge Neon Injectors = better throttle response
7. '94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
8. ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for the stock fin style)
9. Hood vents (Lebaron, Laser, Turbo Thunderbird etc.) = help keep 4.0 cool at low speeds
10. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
11. 94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
Body/ Interior/ Armor
1. 97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails, also have one piece windows
2. MJ/2 Door XJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, bolt in
3. ZJ gas tank skid = can be modified to fit 97+
4. GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
5. XJ '97+ doors onto older cherokees = one piece windows and better mirrors
6. XJ overhead console (provides space for switches or what ever)
7. '97+ center console = can be made to fit '96 and older, gives you cup holders
8.'96-00 Ford Explorer hatch shocks = lift your hatch about 3" lower but are beefier (ever see one that doesn't work?) need modification for '97+
9. OEM skid plates (Engine, Tranny, T-case, gas tank, found on "Up-Country" package XJ's, not necessarily the "Country" trim package)
10. OEM swing-out tire carriers, get the bumper with it, found mainly on '84-'90 XJ's
Thats awsome so wat ur saying is that u can take suspension from bronco and it will be so high itwould be like lifting it
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM

That's correct...longer springs than stock = lift...doesn't have to be a store bought kit to be considered a "lift kit". Its waaaay cheaper to use jy springs and build a leaf pack from a Dakota or S-10.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

That's correct...longer springs than stock = lift...doesn't have to be a store bought kit to be considered a "lift kit". Its waaaay cheaper to use jy springs and build a leaf pack from a Dakota or S-10.
Haha so there stock springs is our lift kit haha
Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Yep depending on how much lift you are looking for. On the rear you can stack leaf springs and get up to about 4" of lift or so. Might ride a little stiff and limit flex if you stack too many leafs but there are write ups on here to let you know which combinations will give you what lift. You can probably build a 3-4" lift for less than $100.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Yep depending on how much lift you are looking for. On the rear you can stack leaf springs and get up to about 4" of lift or so. Might ride a little stiff and limit flex if you stack too many leafs but there are write ups on here to let you know which combinations will give you what lift. You can probably build a 3-4" lift for less than $100.
Niceeeee I also want to make my 2wd a 4x4 any good cheap way.for that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts + What works?