Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Cool Paint, Rubber seal or Rhino Liner?

Hi all,

I'm new to the Cherokee Forums, but I've owned my 96' Cherokee Classic since 2005 and I've done all the maintenance etc myself. Back in 2011 I sanded down the rusty spots and patched up a few rust holes on the undercarriage/interior floor and lined it with Herculiner. It has held up very well with little chipping, but now I'm looking to sand it down again and do more some metal work and I want to line the interior floors with something different. I will probably use Herculiner or Rhino liner for the under carriage again but for the interior I was thinking about getting creative and using something like Rubberseal or perhaps a type of protective paint and weather proof liner. Any suggestions on whats out there for protective coatings/liners?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

Either way I recommend sanding to metal, fixing everything, then laying down a nice coat of epoxy primer.

After that you could go with an industrial enamel like a tractor or snow plow paint, then follow that with dynamat, then go carpet or vinyl flooring. All said and done it will probably cost quite a bit.

The rubber seal looks like a decent idea. It looks like most of the brands stay a little tacky, and are not paintable. You would probably have to put something over the top of it.

Bedliner is probably still the best heavy duty option. You should still use an epoxy primer to seal everything before you spray. I recommend raptor liner. It is supposed to one of the best for DIY bedliners. You can get it in tintable clear or black, and the kits come with a spray gun as well.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn’t even use a primer when I had done the job originally but this time i’ll definitely do it right! As for the rubber seal, you can get a non-tacky version you just have to call the company and custom order it k believe...is the raptor liner better than rhino liner?