Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Overheating adventure

Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating adventure

So a little over a week ago I picked up a new to me 98 sport. Everything works well except the freeze plug on the back of the head leaked. I knew that when I purchased it because the price was very good but I fixed that this last Saturday. I pulled the head off changed the plug and put it back together with all new gaskets torqued down. Started it up and it ran nicely but I still have a overheating issue, if I leave the radiator cap off with the hose trickling in (only has water in it don't wanna waste coolant till its resolved) and run it in the driveway it will slowly rise up to 210 and sit there but if I throw the cap back on it the dash will light and say check gauges and the temp will jump to 250 or so, but if I shut it off and turn the key on it will say 210 again?? I've tried burping the system and there is no thermostat in it and after a test drive the radiator cracked and was blowing out coolant and steam.. so I don't know where to go with it next im obviously going to need a new radiator and check my temp gauge against a thermo gun. What would you guys check next? I don't want to just throw parts at it. Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default Blown Gasket?

I hate to bring this up, but it sounds like combustion gas heat and pressure in the cooling system. I did a head gasket on a Toyota 4 Runner once and the head was warped from overheating. I didn't check to see if the face of the head had to be milled and the head gasket failed again. It was the girlfriend's 4 Runner and she blew a gasket, too.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 PM

Well last night I put a new fan clutch, thermostat, radiator and cap into the jeep and it still over heats it just gets there faster sadly because of the thermo lol does anybody have any other ideas I'm kinda considering that the head may be cracked but I'm hoping there's something else I'm missing I need this thing to work badly it has to be my daily by Monday
Old 06-26-2015, 06:33 AM

Default Pressure test?

Buy one of these or rent it from a parts store. It will tell you if the head gasket is failed or there is a crack in the head.

Amazon.com: Stant 12270 30 Pound Cooling System AndPressure Cap Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: Stant 12270 30 Pound Cooling System AndPressure Cap Tester: Automotive
Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Ok I'll look into that and see what happens. What is the normal pressure for a cherokee up to operating temp?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Pressure

Your radiator cap pressure may vary from year to year, but my 98 XJ cap is rated at 16 lbs. The pressure tester above is connected to the radiator neck and pumped up to a about 16 lbs. then you watch for external leaks and/or a loss of pressure without a visible leak which would suggest an internal leak; cracked head, failed head gasket............
Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 PM

Well I spoke with advanced today to see about the pressure tester and they have one but someone had already rented it and they don't know when it will be back. Today I got my electric fan hard wired to the batt and made sure all shrouds are in place and it still over heats wether it's sitting in the driveway or driving around the neighborhood. I noticed a small amount of water coming out of the top of the water pump housing it looks like but it is very small. My gauge will sit at one tick over 210 so like 226ish for a good bit then it will jump to 250-260 and the dash will light? That do you guys think?