Opinions on goodyear wrangler radials?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Opinions on goodyear wrangler radials?

In about a few weeks here im getting a walmart discount so i was thinking of picking up a set of goodyear wranglers because its gonna be 300 bucks even with road hazard and everything, What are they like? Are they good and if i remember these came on a few cherokees stock from the factory right? or was it the rts? Anyways are they good onroad and decent offroad? i typically go in sand, easy mud and dirt. Would these be good for a weekend warrior? Is the treadwear good and how about reliability, Not these in particular but a few tires come back into the shop with broken belts or other defects are these prone to have defects? The size i was gonna go with are 235/75/15 i remember it had these before but i got rid of them because the steel was showing and never drove it with them. Also i was thinking of an alignment as well but should i wait to rebuild the front end or do it now? The passenger front tire is so worn on the outside the belts are almost showing meanwhile the driver tire isnt so bad. I dont mind doing it now because these tires i have now only lasted 4500 miles with 7/32 tread depth when i put them on. Also would it help with death wobble? It randomly happens.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Are we talking about the cheapy $75 wal mart special? They are hot garbage man if so. Sketchy as hell in any wet driving and are terrible off-road. They are basically slicks with a tread design haha. They last a long time, but that's about all the good there is. They get swapped out frequently here at the shop even with minimal wear because people just don't like them. They are popular when people are selling a vehicle as well because they are cheap haha

Last edited by Martlor13; 11-23-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Are we talking about the cheapy $75 wal mart special? They are hot garbage man if so. Sketchy as hell in any wet driving and are terrible off-road. They are basically slicks with a tread design haha.
Know what my main complaint is about Goodyear? I don't know if they are still this way or not because I have refused to sell them for many years now, but they had a problem for a long time of drying out from exposure beyond the "safe" point far too soon in their service life. Far faster than all other makes at the time.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

really? Never knew that and idk if it is or not. A truck came in yesterday and he showed me the paper work with it (so i can give him his keys) being the same size and all it came out to 300 bucks basically so it interested me nonetheless.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Know what my main complaint is about Goodyear? I don't know if they are still this way or not because I have refused to sell them for many years now, but they had a problem for a long time of drying out from exposure beyond the "safe" point far too soon in their service life. Far faster than all other makes at the time.
Goodyear is a strange brand. They try to play both sides of quality and budget in their lineup. They have some good tires, but expensive. And they have cheap tires, but cheap for many reasons. Most, if not all other brands are either quality, cheaply priced, or somewhere in the middle haha.

as far as the drying out you refer to, we still see issues. But they are mostly seen on their budget tires. Their higher end stuff gets pretty good reviews. The duratracs and mtrs are popular in the truck world.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Goodyear is a strange brand. They try to play both sides of quality and budget in their lineup. They have some good tires, but expensive. And they have cheap tires, but cheap for many reasons. Most, if not all other brands are either quality, cheaply priced, or somewhere in the middle haha.

as far as the drying out you refer to, we still see issues. But they are mostly seen on their budget tires. Their higher end stuff gets pretty good reviews. The duratracs and mtrs are popular in the truck world.
Man I'll tell you what... I don't know of you were around in the tire business or not back then, but the original late 70's Bridgestone Desert Dueler was and probably still the best tire ever made for what we do with these things both on and off road. Tread design...rubber compound...casing design and materials...durability...and resistance to exposure. Wish they had never stopped making those.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

I noticed that. Im typically cooper and bf goodrich but i wanna try goodyears or atleast keep a well known name brand instead of an unknown brand or a knock off brand. Lol currently i got americus and venezia on mine currently both being classic 787s. But not afraid to try other brands as well im trying to keep into what walmart has to keep the discount as well.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
I noticed that. Im typically cooper and bf goodrich but i wanna try goodyears or atleast keep a well known name brand instead of an unknown brand or a knock off brand. Lol currently i got americus and venezia on mine currently both being classic 787s. But not afraid to try other brands as well im trying to keep into what walmart has to keep the discount as well.
Well my friend Martlor13 has a very good suggestion for you coming. I'm hoping it is what I would also suggest... Ironman brand. They are a Cooper Tire but priced much lower than most of the others right now because they are trying to build a new market.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

ironman brand? hmm arent those the hercules tires i heard about or is it something else?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Well my friend Martlor13 has a very good suggestion for you coming. I'm hoping it is what I would also suggest... Ironman brand. They are a Cooper Tire but priced much lower than most of the others right now because they are trying to build a new market.
yessir iron man is pretty damn good for the price. Hercules and iron man are both made by Cooper. Hercules is supposed to be that middle ground and iron man the budget brand, but I honestly think iron man is the better tire
Old 11-23-2017, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

hmm gonna look into those now how are they?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
hmm gonna look into those now how are they?
I think they can top any bang for your buck list out there. They are a budget prices tire that can compete with most middle tiat tires.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's different where you are but I got Grabbers from Walmart and they refused to mount them because they didn't match the VIN. I've never heard of such but it was a pain to toss them in my Jeep and drive around town near closing time to get them mounted.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

yeah sadly with claims and such walmart locks down on specifics like that now. If the car came in with said size tires you bought they would mount them but if your car has one size on it currently then the new tires being a different size we cant "legally" do it because some people have them with some cars being awd blew up the transfer cases from odd sized tires. so we have to do everything literally by the books and manufacturers recommendations. Sad yes but it happened and now the funs taken away. I cant even work on my own car i have to wait for a day off to do it there since people are frauds and bought extremely cheap tires then swapped them with the best tires we had in stock. So now we have that rule and if youre caught working on your own vehicle then its instant termination. But the rules are there to cover your *** as well. Sad still whats even sadder the new house im moving to some douch stole the spotlights i put in. and this is a "good neighborhood" Florida sucks lol. But yes it does suck each walmart is different in said rules. We have this stuff called torque seal to prevent tampering as it puts a blue seal on the plug because a popular thing was people overtightened the plugs and then went down a bumpy road to get it to knock out then proceeded to drive and blew the engine then make walmart pay for a new engine and resulting in the employee who worked on it being fired. Happened 2 times where i worked.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Where do you work? Wal-Mart tire center?