Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oopsie

Several years ago (well beyond the statute of limitations), I rented a Grand Cherokee for a trip to the mountains. Before I even reached my destination I saw a trail leading up a mountain and couldn't resist. My rental had one of those "Trail Rated" badges on the fender so I figured it was up to the task. Things were going really well, initially. I was clawing my way up the mountain in 4WD low, taking my time, avoiding body damage. It was all fairly drama free until I got to a giant boulder in the middle of the trail. Others had gone around on the berm so I tried that, too. I obviously did something wrong because my rental started to roll.

I jammed it in reverse and floored it, turning into the roll. I saved the truck (mostly) but ended up in a precarious position when it was all over.

It took me about three hours to get out of this. You can't really tell from the picture but the rear tires aren't on the ground because the rear diff is on a big rock. The 10,000 foot elevation wasn't helping my progress moving rocks and stuff.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

How did you even get the dif on that rock????
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Kinda funny looking.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6

Reminds me of the current insurance commercial on TV where the guy backed his car up a power pole.

The closest thing to a mishap I've had with a rental car (not counting the Ryder truck I used to destroy three cars with) was with a convertable Camero I rented in Memphis. I stopped at a store to do some shopping, it was a nice day so I had the top down. At first I wasn't going to put the top up but then I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was in the store about 30-minutes when I heard a tremendous clap of thunder. A couple seconds later rain started falling on the roof of the store so hard it sounded like someone was dumping gravel on it. When I looked outside the heavens had opened up and the parking lot was filling with water. It seemed like it rained at least an inch over the course of 30-minutes or so. All I could think about is how glad I was for putting the top up.