Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OFF-ROAD TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default OFF-ROAD TIRES

What is the best all around four wheeling tire out there?
Old 11-25-2017, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by YATYAS
What is the best all around four wheeling tire out there?
you're going to get a variety of answers. there's not a one size fits all. But just to play, my choice is the bfg ko2 all terrain. It's the best all terrain available, and all terrains are more well rounded in different terrains than a mud tire.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:45 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 6 CYL HO

I would agree about a good AT tire. MTs look good and I have ran them on my mostly off-road rigs, but a good AT is better if it is going to be on road more than off. I also like the BFGs, but I just ordered a set of Pro Comp ATs yesterday. It was a toss up between the two. I have had really good luck with Pro Comps in the past and my XJ is going to spend most of its time on the road. You can drop them to about 20-25 pounds and go about anywhere. The only place that I can tell you that the Pro Comp ATs will show weakness is in deep mud and the BFG will not be any better.
I guess it depends if it is going to be on the road, or off most of the time.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Biggsly
I would agree about a good AT tire. MTs look good and I have ran them on my mostly off-road rigs, but a good AT is better if it is going to be on road more than off. I also like the BFGs, but I just ordered a set of Pro Comp ATs yesterday. It was a toss up between the two. I have had really good luck with Pro Comps in the past and my XJ is going to spend most of its time on the road. You can drop them to about 20-25 pounds and go about anywhere. The only place that I can tell you that the Pro Comp ATs will show weakness is in deep mud and the BFG will not be any better.
I guess it depends if it is going to be on the road, or off most of the time.
Eh not really. All terrains are better then mud terrains on pavement, sand, hardpack, and snow and ice because of more siping. Mud terrains are better in mud, clay, probably rocky stuff. Just Depends what type of offloading you mostly do.

as far as the procomps, you might be one of the few that has had success with them haha. They are really expensive for what they really are. They are on the cusp of tier 3 status at the tire shop I work at haha what tire do you have on now?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:08 PM

I hear the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires are good too...
Old 11-25-2017, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

I hear the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires are good too...
they are. They are a hybrid. Mud terrain/ all terrain combo. They have a terrible sidewall that punctures easily, and they don't last as long as a true all terrain. Plus they are super expensive compared to other tires, but most hybrids are. They do better in mud then Any all terrain, but stay away from rocks and branches.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Eh not really. All terrains are better then mud terrains on pavement, sand, hardpack, and snow and ice because of more siping. Mud terrains are better in mud, clay, probably rocky stuff. Just Depends what type of offloading you mostly do.

as far as the procomps, you might be one of the few that has had success with them haha. They are really expensive for what they really are. They are on the cusp of tier 3 status at the tire shop I work at haha what tire do you have on now?
Right now I am running some Goodyears that I pulled off of one of my CJs. They are coming off. I don't like the Goodyear tires. They work okay off road, but have weak side walls. I was running 35" BFG on my CJ when I sold it. I have ran them for years. I have done great on rocky trails with Pro Comp and BFG. I don't do hard core rock crawling any more, just trail riding.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:17 PM

So it sounds like so far that the BFG AT KO2's are the frontrunner for both price and all around four wheel capability?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

So it sounds like so far that the BFG AT KO2's are the frontrunner for both price and all around four wheel capability?
price? No..its in the top 2 for most expensive all terrain. But the price is more then justified for what you get. The price to quality ratio is pretty damn good.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Right now I am running some Goodyears that I pulled off of one of my CJs. They are coming off. I don't like the Goodyear tires. They work okay off road, but have weak side walls. I was running 35" BFG on my CJ when I sold it. I have ran them for years. I have done great on rocky trails with Pro Comp and BFG. I don't do hard core rock crawling any more, just trail riding.
Pro comp is in the same boatf as fuel. Fuel came out with a line of tires recently. They are expensive compared to every other tire and their performance off-road sucks. But they were meant for the pavement pounders. One of my bosses good friends used to work closely with pro comp and he said fuel did the same thing they did. Make a good looking tire for people to get when they get a lift or new rims. My boss won't even sell people pro comp or fuel tires haha. He hates selling them to people. We only have 1 supplier that can get them at a dealer type price.

but you've like and have used the pro comps before. How dis they wear for you? That's probably the biggest gripe we hear. They are practically done at 30k miles in a lot of cases
Old 11-25-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Pro comp is in the same boatf as fuel. Fuel came out with a line of tires recently. They are expensive compared to every other tire and their performance off-road sucks. But they were meant for the pavement pounders. One of my bosses good friends used to work closely with pro comp and he said fuel did the same thing they did. Make a good looking tire for people to get when they get a lift or new rims. My boss won't even sell people pro comp or fuel tires haha. He hates selling them to people. We only have 1 supplier that can get them at a dealer type price.

but you've like and have used the pro comps before. How dis they wear for you? That's probably the biggest gripe we hear. They are practically done at 30k miles in a lot of cases
I have had good luck, but I never keep a tire 30K miles. This XJ is going to be a weekend run around most of the time. Probably 80% on the road. We will hit some local trails and plan on hauling it to Red River NM when we go up there. They work great on those trails. For the price, they work for me. I always buy them from 4 Wheel Parts. If I do cut a side wall, or ruin a tire, they replace it. I will be honest, I am getting older and I get tired of the noise from MTs. My son still does more serious off roading and mudding, so he runs MTs.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

I run Mastercraft courser MXTs, they are quiet for a mud tire and do good in the sand, snow, mud and the street. They don't wear down any quicker than the all terrains I have used but they do much bit they do much better off-road.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

I have had good luck, but I never keep a tire 30K miles. This XJ is going to be a weekend run around most of the time. Probably 80% on the road. We will hit some local trails and plan on hauling it to Red River NM when we go up there. They work great on those trails. For the price, they work for me. I always buy them from 4 Wheel Parts. If I do cut a side wall, or ruin a tire, they replace it. I will be honest, I am getting older and I get tired of the noise from MTs. My son still does more serious off roading and mudding, so he runs MTs.
where you from? Red river is about 2 hours from me.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I run Mastercraft courser MXTs, they are quiet for a mud tire and do good in the sand, snow, mud and the street. They don't wear down any quicker than the all terrains I have used but they do much bit they do much better off-road.
That tread design of the mastercraft is a trademark of all Coopers sub brands as well. Coopers looked the same, as well as their mickey Thompson Baja mtz..they aren't identical, like at all haha, but how they design the tread is what I mean haha...have you run either of the Coopers or mickeys? I haven't run the mastercraft for comparison, but we have some brand fanatics that come in.

Last edited by Martlor13; 11-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

I haven't ran the Cooper or Baja MTZ they cost too much lol. The Mastercraft MXT is a similar design to the Cooper STT pro but slightly different, I think they would perform about the same. The Baja MTZ looks like a different design all together but people who use them seem to like them and that MTZ tread design has been around for a while.

Quick Reply: OFF-ROAD TIRES