Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default OBA Dual Sanden Mounting Bracket

I'm trying to pull of tandem Sanden compressors. I want OBA while still having A/C. Not sure this is in the right thread though, because I'm actually trying to avoid fabricating the bracket that mounts another pulley wheel.

Now, I had been toying with the idea of getting a longer serpentine belt and putting another pulley wheel in to get enough wrap around the wheels of the compressors that they didn't squeal. Kinda like the CF member 4.3L XJ did on his. You can barely see the pulley wheel at the bottom of this pic: (hope I'm not crossing any lines by using these pics as examples...)
Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  86.0 KB
But then I found another guy who had done it this way:

without another pulley, but I would think that would be too little belt wrap and could cause squealing.
Finally, I found a guy that had done it by adding a second belt:

Since I've converted to electric fans I have the space in front of the belt to add the wheels, but I don't know where I'd get them or how I'd get them on. I like this concept the most though, because it would probably allow for the best belt wrap without adding another pulley wheel.

Now, I imagine the A/C compressor is going to require more torque than the OBA compressor, so do you guys think I could mount the A/C compressor on the outside, which has more wrap? Alternatively, anyone know how those belt wheels come on and off if I wanted to have a two-belt wheel?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow dude thats impressive nice work also an ac clutch puller is used to take off pulleys
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I would like to see the belt routing for that set up.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

You guys didn't read what he wrote? Those are 3 separate examples of dual compressor set ups, not his.

a.a, you're going to get this moved, just a heads up. However, I like the topic! You will need to get into some fabrication to make it happen though.

I like the first option best, for the reason you mentioned, the amount of belt contact to the pulleys. You could pretty easily make a bracket to run an idler pulley below and in between the two compressors to get a good belt grip on them. The second pic looks like the a/c pulley is lacking enough contact. The third option looks like more work and expense to completely swap clutch pulleys.

The first setup I think would be the best option. I'm toying with adding a small 120V compressor to mine, and running off a 1000W inverter, but it may be less expensive to go this route. Thanks for spurring the idea!