Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEWBIE!! First XJ... 1998

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NEWBIE!! First XJ... 1998

I'm in California and just bought a 1998 XJ for my daughter going to school in CT. It has about 160,000 miles and I believe has been well cared for. What should I have changed (other than fluids) to make sure the care is reliable for her... Radiator? Starter? Alt? .... The only current issue is that the check engine light will come sometimes on with a transmission controller code if the car sits for more than 6 weeks without being driven but once cleared doesn't come on again as long as its driven.... If anyone knows a reliable shop for this vehicle in Middletown, CT you would be a hero!! Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Wesleyan I presume?….Middletown is nice…Main street has undergone a lot of improvements over the years…

Curious about the check engine code…If you just bought the Jeep I assume that you’re going by what the previous owner told you…If it were me I’d have the thing thoroughly checked out at a shop out in CA before she ventures cross country in it….

As for a good shop/mechanic…sorry I live on the shore…I’d have a hard time recommending one down here let alone one up there…..Hopefully someone else will chime in…Good luck..
Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wesleyan it is! The car came from NH so we saved $1000.00 in transport to use for mechanical updates.... It's perfect for the next 3 1/2 years of sitting outside with little attention.... Is there a tune up required? or just change the spark plugs... And are there plugs that you all have found are better than the oem? Thanks...

ALSO - NEED FUSE BOX COVER FOR LOWER PASSENGER KICK PANEL - Grey is GREAT but ANY would get the job done.....

Originally Posted by Copperhead
Wesleyan I presume?….Middletown is nice…Main street has undergone a lot of improvements over the years…

Curious about the check engine code…If you just bought the Jeep I assume that you’re going by what the previous owner told you…If it were me I’d have the thing thoroughly checked out at a shop out in CA before she ventures cross country in it….

As for a good shop/mechanic…sorry I live on the shore…I’d have a hard time recommending one down here let alone one up there…..Hopefully someone else will chime in…Good luck..
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Ok…gotcha…her and the vehicle are already there…I’d have a complete tune-up done…fluids, filters,plugs, cap+ rotor(pretty sure that year has them), wires, serpentine belt, radiator flush and new thermostat….And just have her keep an eye on the temperature gauge…

Plugs..my choice is NGK…but you’ll get a lot of different opinions on that…I prefer using a Mopar oil filter too..again… you’ll get different opinions..

Give it some time for others to jump in with suggestions...They may be pre-occupied with the big game today...