Newb with ? about daughters new Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Newb with ? about daughters new Cherokee

Hello all, I am going to look at a 1997 Cherokee sport for my daughter (1st car). It is 4x4 sport with 180k miles. The asking price is $1,075. The owner states that after rthe vehicle is warmed up it is sometimes difficult to start. He states that it doesent over heat or anything but is just difficult to start sometimes after running at operating temp. I have never heard of this, any ideas? also the power windows only work from the drivers door control and not indipendently from each window, i was thinking maybe it needs a new switch or something?

Is there anything else specific i should look for on these vehicles. I am pretty mechanicaly inclined so I know what I'm looking at but just looking for some cherokee specific items that i need to look out for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by boatcop1
Hello all, I am going to look at a 1997 Cherokee sport for my daughter (1st car). It is 4x4 sport with 180k miles. The asking price is $1,075. The owner states that after the vehicle is warmed up it is sometimes difficult to start. He states that it doesnt over heat or anything but is just difficult to start sometimes after running at operating temp. I have never heard of this, any ideas? also the power windows only work from the drivers door control and not indipendently from each window, i was thinking maybe it needs a new switch or something?

Is there anything else specific i should look for on these vehicles. I am pretty mechanicaly inclined so I know what I'm looking at but just looking for some cherokee specific items that i need to look out for.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a great price for a 97. The warm start problem could be the CPS, hard to say without knowing what exactly it does when you try warm start it. It doesn't sound like anything major, but you can expect to through a couple hundred into it while diagnosing the problem. As for the windows it could be a bad connection coming off the drivers side switch. I would take the door trim off and check starting with the drivers side.

Check for rust!, rocker panels, wheel wells, floor pans etc.

Other than that check the usual, all the fluids, take it for a good test drive to make sure 4x4 works, take it out on the highway to make sure it doesn't have the death wobble.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by boatcop1
Hello all, I am going to look at a 1997 Cherokee sport for my daughter (1st car). It is 4x4 sport with 180k miles. The asking price is $1,075. The owner states that after rthe vehicle is warmed up it is sometimes difficult to start. He states that it doesent over heat or anything but is just difficult to start sometimes after running at operating temp. I have never heard of this, any ideas? also the power windows only work from the drivers door control and not indipendently from each window, i was thinking maybe it needs a new switch or something?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure on the hard starting when warmed, never heard of that before.

Just check everything thoroughly. Check all fluids, get down underneath and see if there is any oil tranny leaks. The rear main seals like to leak so see if it is at all. Make sure tranny shifts smooth with no hesitation. Check the 4wd. Rust shouldnt be a problem for a 97 so thats a plus, unless youre in the rust belt. The window could just need a new regulator or switch. Or it could be the wiring.

At $1000 youre not gonna be able to get a flawless vehicle though plain and simple.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

That window switch problem is VERY common on 97+ XJs. I've owned three now and they have all had this issue.

I'm going to second the CPS for the starting issue. There's ways to test it before you throw $150 at the part.

Assuming the jeep is in good shape, that's an excellent price! Good luck.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Thank you. The owner thinks it's the CPS as well but still not sure. It does have a bit of rust on the drivers rear rocker but not too bad. The owner is an older gentlman who has 5 vehicles and just trying to get rid of it now that his son is off at college. Other than that it's it really nice shape, No leaks, dents or rust otherwise. The interior is very clean. I like this for my daughter because of all the glass (visibility) and the safety factor. At that price I may just take a shot and see if I can get it for $900.00.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

As far as visibility be careful,all that glass is misleading. We are stricken with a mean blind spot. Other than that it sounds like ya found a pretty good buy.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Even $1,075 is a hell of a deal for a 97, you can't find a 97 even with a blown engine for under $900 where I am. I say jump on it, test the cps, replace it if need be and take care of the rust. With only 180k miles it's good for another 100k+ if taken care of.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

window issue fix: free (ill explain in a sec)
no start issue when hot: heat soak on something? gotta check voltage when warmed up to see if it looses signal... i THOUGHT the 97's didnt have a CPS????????? thought it was 94 and earlier?!?!?!?! idk, dont think the 97 has one regardless!
back to window: try this!
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...2045815748.jpg
the harness is down by drivers feet behind trim. very accessable and a safe fix. mines been this was for a while. your alternative is to hit the JY and find a master window switch out of a doner, or new they can be up to like 140$
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by sthon
Even $1,075 is a hell of a deal for a 97, you can't find a 97 even with a blown engine for under $900 where I am. I say jump on it, test the cps, replace it if need be and take care of the rust. With only 180k miles it's good for another 100k+ if taken care of.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. It sounds like it's been pretty well maintained. Going to see it in a bit, I'll take some pics and post them up if i can for us to evaluate.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
window issue fix: free (ill explain in a sec)
no start issue when hot: heat soak on something? gotta check voltage when warmed up to see if it looses signal... i THOUGHT the 97's didnt have a CPS????????? thought it was 94 and earlier?!?!?!?! idk, dont think the 97 has one regardless!
back to window: try this!
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...2045815748.jpg
the harness is down by drivers feet behind trim. very accessable and a safe fix. mines been this was for a while. your alternative is to hit the JY and find a master window switch out of a doner, or new they can be up to like 140$
Very Nice, thank you much VT
Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Just got back from looking at the Jeep. It was a bit too dark to take any good pictures but overall the truck is in pretty decent shape. It started up just fine and ran perfectly quiet, throttle response was very crisp. The interior is very clean and aside from the window switch everything works. I did notice some oily residue built up under the truck in the vicinity of the trans and oil pan, also on and around the rear of the valve cover (pcv valve area?) although no dripping anywhere (and i searched the whole driveway for any spots, couldn't find any. 4x4 engages and operates as it should. The tranny fluid looked a bit dark and the owner could not recall the last time the fluid and filter were changed however it did shift properly and sharply. It has a new alternator, heater core, front brakes and tune up. He is the 2nd owner and bought it in 1999 with 22k miles on it.

Right off the top of my head I'm thinking:

CPS
Fix window switch
Repair rust on drivers rocker
Power wash the undercariage to find the source of the oil?
replace trans fluid and filter.
Change oil
air filter
pcv valve
and what ever other little odds and ends I can find.

I wouldn't mind respraying the fender flares as they're a bit faded

and maybe front shocks as they have a little too much residual bounce for my liking.

Any other ideas?

It looks like I can probably get it for 9 bills too wich is nice.

do the 4.0's respond well to fuel system treatments? I'm just thinking with the mileage i would like to do a little preventative maintenance but then again if it aint broke dont fix it too!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

I'm a big fan of seafoam, dump some in the gas tank and pour about 1/3 of a bottle slowly in the TB with the engine at idle, then shut it off for 20 - 30 minutes before starting it back up. Rev the engine up to about 2500 RPM's and watch the smoke fill the neighborhood. Great way to clean the engine out.

An oil change is probably also in order, I personally substitute a quart of oil with MMO (Marvell Mystery Oil) I've noticed a lot of people on here do as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Seafoam is a magic word around here. It works wonders on our old engines. Again, the window switch is also very common. Mine went bad a few weeks after I bought it, but I actually managed to fix it by pulling out the switch box and spraying it with compressed air. 10 years of dust and dirt took their toll.
Besides that, the price is incredible. One area I noticed on mine after I started cutting away at it is the rear quarter. Look underneath behind the plastic rear bumper caps for rust. It isn't a big deal structurally, and it's hidden, but I can fit a golf ball through the hole in one of mine.

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 11-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

NewKindOfClown glad to see I'm not the only who's hell on mufflers and cat's.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by sthon
NewKindOfClown glad to see I'm not the only who's hell on mufflers and cat's.
Haha, next time I'm investing in a Super 44. I don't think even I can punch holes in diamond plate. Considering replacing my exhaust from headers back once I learn to weld, and then I'll raise everything (especially the cat) as much as I can for clearance. But I don't wanna drag his thread off topic, so let's try to keep it relevant

Quick Reply: Newb with ? about daughters new Cherokee