New XJ - Grocery list of small problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default New XJ - Grocery list of small problems

As I stated in my orginal post in the chat section. I bought a 99 XJ Classic Black. 101K, auto, I6, Command trac. Probably over paid a little bit as the paint is in poor shape, but the interior is excellent and everything mechanically appears to be in good shape. The plan within the next few months is to add a RC 3" coil/leaf pack lift, Jeep Canyons (can't find Moabs anywhere for a decent price) and 31x10.50 Grabber AT2's. Before I spend the $ on that I want to ensure all the little issues and mechanical components are up to snuff. Here is a list of the issues I have found so far. I figured I would post my finding and solutions as I am sure there are others our there wondering what issues to expect upon purchase of an XJ.

- Rear hatch struts - replaced with $30 struts off Amazon
- Front speakers - ran new speaker wire to the doors and replaced all 4 speakers with 6" Kickers $104 total. thought I orderd 6.5" anyway though fit with no cutting. 6.5's would have fit in all 4 locations as well. Highly recommend swapping out your stock speakers. Can hear the radio at highway speeds now.
- Power door locks - these were working about 10% of the time. I ordered new relays following the direction from another forum. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7815 Turns out the connector in the passenger door panel was just loose?!?. When I had the panel off for speaker repair I noticed this. Plugged it in tight and instant power door locks again. I have the relays just in case.
- 4wd indicator light - used the guide from here to test https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/fix-part-time-light-np231-37548/ Mine was the t-case sensor. Cleaning it with electric component cleaner for a temporary fix. Will need to replace more than likely.
-Door dings - trying to work these out from the inside of the panel will I have everything apart for speaker rewire
- Hood latch - once hood was open would not latch shut. sprayed everything down with PB Blaster and that broke everything loose. Then sprayed white lithium to lube all latch components.
- Valve cover gasket - This is going to be my saturday project. I bought the felpro from autozone. Plan to degrease the entire engine compartment as well. Repaint the valve cover and a couple other peices under the hood that have some rust on them. My XJ was built in June 99 and I do not have the dreaded 0331 head. I am assuming this is just a gasket fix. I hope I do not run into any surprises. Following this guide here https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/valve-cover-gasket-writeup-46054/

More than anything I just wanted to post a pic of the XJ My daughter just got her hair cut so she wanted to show that off as well

Last edited by bp01; 11-02-2011 at 02:47 AM.