Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New speakers or add an amp?

I'm looking to improve the sound in my XJ. Right now I have a JVC head unit that is rated at 4x200 watts peak and 20 watts rms per channel. In the front doors and sound bar I have Kicker 5 1/4" speakers rated at 35 watts rms each.

This is in a 2000 XJ sport.

My question is will I see a big difference if I go to 6" Kicker sound bar speakers and 6 1/2" Kicker door speakers rated at 65 watts rms each?

Or would I be better off buying a four channel amp rated for my 5 1/4" speakers?

I'm looking at these speakers:
Sound bar: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/kickerks6011ks60.aspx

Front doors: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/kickerks6511ks65.aspx

Amp for just the original 5 1/4" Kickers: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...rt-FX4.50.html

Or just upgrade to the larger speakers with this amp?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...rt-FX4.70.html

Or just add a sub with an amp?

I'm not looking for super loud, mega thumping car stereo competition quality sound here, just a little louder and clearer.

So many choices, what to do?

What would you guys do to improve the sound without spending a fortune? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

You'll notice A LOT more clarity and volume with a good 4 channel amp over upgrading speakers.

I mean, a MAJOR difference.

Go with the amp, you won't be disappointed.

If those are the only two amps you're picking from I'd got with this amp and your current speakers. They'll be fine.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...rt-FX4.70.html

Distortion at volume is from a lack of power... not too much power.

Last edited by Lowrange2; 10-15-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

5 channel amp.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM

If we're talking 5 Channel's I'd got with a Memphis Belle.

4 Memphis Component Mids and Highs

and

1 10" Memphis M3.

THAT would rock.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't buy this one off of ebay but this is what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Baby...item2a242d14fe
Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Yea get an amp,

Music also depends on what kind of sound your looking for
You might might to add a speaker or sub with an amp rated at 300rms or just a nice small one
For the speakers you have now.

Let us know what kind of sound you are looking for
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Buy a 4 channel amp and a small subwoofer. Use two channels to amplify your existing front speakers, bridge the other two channels to run your sub.

And run a high pass filter on your front speakers...it will sound great.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Buy a 4 channel amp and a small subwoofer. Use two channels to amplify your existing front speakers, bridge the other two channels to run your sub.

And run a high pass filter on your front speakers...it will sound great.
That would sound like **** IMO. I have always ran a 4 ch amp to power. My speakers and a class d amp to power my sub. If your going to install a system do it right and not half assed
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

It sounds like I'll be buying a 4 or 5 channel amp soon. I can always upgrade my speakers if I desire down the road.

Other than the 5 channel Memphis Belle above and the MB Quarts I have links to, what would be some other decent amps that would fit under the passenger seat? Or other location out of the way.....suggestions?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

u got decent speakers, go with a amp
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
That would sound like **** IMO. I have always ran a 4 ch amp to power. My speakers and a class d amp to power my sub. If your going to install a system do it right and not half assed

Good for you, we're all very impressed.

The OP asked for suggestions to improve his overall sound quality inexpensively. A 4/3 amp is perfect for this. It's not half assed and it sounds great. And if he ever felt the need to upgrade again in the future, he could add a dedicated mono amp and switch all 4 channels over to highs.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Good for you, we're all very impressed.

The OP asked for suggestions to improve his overall sound quality inexpensively. A 4/3 amp is perfect for this. It's not half assed and it sounds great. And if he ever felt the need to upgrade again in the future, he could add a dedicated mono amp and switch all 4 channels over to highs.
It would be tricky finding a 4 channel amp that, when bridging two of the channels, puts out enough power for most subs for a reasonable price. If he wants to run rear speakers, this setup will not work depending on his hu. Some hus have amp cancellation and don't put anything out the speaker wires when you are sending the signal out the RCAs. He might be able to make it work with LOCs. If he wants one amp with a sub, I'd get a dedicated 3 or 5 channel amp.

To improve the sq inexpensively, OP could mount the speakers to mdf rings and then amp them. But it may just be the speakers OP doesn't like. Different people have different ears. I think most polypropylene speakers sound terrible. Getting bigger speakers with no amp will only make it worse. If you want louder and clearer, amp them and mount them to MDF rings.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
I agree.

Originally Posted by Flowpro
It sounds like I'll be buying a 4 or 5 channel amp soon. I can always upgrade my speakers if I desire down the road.

Other than the 5 channel Memphis Belle above and the MB Quarts I have links to, what would be some other decent amps that would fit under the passenger seat? Or other location out of the way.....suggestions?
A Memphis Belle 5 channel isn't going to fit under your seat.

Even with the amps you linked to you'll be impressed with the improved sound.

Pick any name brand amp and you'l be better. Why not find a Kicker 4 channel amp?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

First question is what's your budget?

Do you plan to add a sub?

Are you going to buy better speakers?

If you want to stick with the speakers you have, the problem with those speakers you have is that they suck (sorry). At 35W RMS, you're going to overpower them with any of the amps that have been suggested in this thread. If you want better sound out of cheap speakers, buy a cheap amp that will get you by until you decide to upgrade to better speakers that will reap the benefits of a better amplifier. I'd suggest this one:
Amazon.com: Boss Audio R1004 4-Channel Mosfet Power Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boss Audio R1004 4-Channel Mosfet Power Amplifier: Car Electronics

That will sound better than the MAYBE 20 watts you're getting per channel from the amplifier that's packaged into your head unit. It will definitely fit under your rear seat (I have this amplifier that I use for a cheap setup in a tailgating cooler I made), it hardly uses any power, and if you end up wanting better speakers in the future you're not out a lot of money with this amp. At $35 bucks it's hard to go wrong...

If you do upgrade your speakers to something that can handle more than 35watts, then I'd look at anything from JL Audio. They make great amps, and while a bit more expensive they're worth every penny. This is a solid 5 channel amp that will run 4 speakers and a sub, and it'll run it very well and efficiently:
Amazon.com: XD700/5 - JL Audio 5-Channel 700W Class D Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: XD700/5 - JL Audio 5-Channel 700W Class D Amplifier: Car Electronics

It really depends what you want to do. There's a fine line in audio equipment when it comes to the mid-range stuff. Jump to the upper level mid range equipment and you'll be a lot happier down the road even if the initial investment is higher. To just get you by for a while and get better sound out of the system you have now, that $35 option would be a no-brainer to me. I plan to add that exact amp to my Jeep just to get a little better sound as well. I have no plans for a sub, and the Jeep is not my daily driver so I really don't want to spend a bunch of money in the stereo, but that will do exactly what you're looking for. Unless what you're looking for is a stereo that can be heard from 3 blocks away...
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Ya know, I used to be a major JL fan. I loved all their Slash amps. They made good stuff.

I'm not sure what happened but over time I feel like their stuff has lost some quality. Don't get me wrong, they make WAY better stuff than most other companies but something just isn't the same.

Kinda like Kicker. Back in the day... their stuff was AWESOME. Now... Meh.

Find an old Punch 45.

Quick Reply: New speakers or add an amp?