Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 HO
Default never ending!!

since the day i bought it i have had nothin but problems, here is a list of what i have done, fixed brake light wiring prob, the front brakes, front right u-joint, front fight hub assembly, radiator, thermo, fan clutch, alt, battery, regular maintenance, still have a throttle problem, now have a belt squeal down a steering pump i think, and have a knock, wobbles a 40-50mph, gonna have to do rear breaks, did o2 sensor at cat, cat went bad, now about the car, own seen feb 09, it is a 96 ex police car, 197,500, auto, np242, d30, 8.25. i just cant wait till i have a nice runnin car again.

Last edited by grizzlypaugh; 09-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Lol, we're in the exact same boat, I bought my 95 in Jan. of 09 and with only 115,000 mi. on the clock and I'm replacing crap like it's free.

Had a 96 F150 before this, and except for the emissions system, nothing ever went wrong with it, more miles too. I'd like to have about 5 minutes alone with my Jeep and a 16 pound sledge hammer, don't know if I'd need the entire 5 min. though, it might just disintegrate after the first blow.

Just remember that when people on here swear up and down it's a reliable vehicle, [and they will], they mean it's reliable after you've shoveled a truck load of cash at it and spend every weekend wrenching on it. I'll bet Autozone could stock nothing but Cherokee parts and still stay in business.

Every time I go to fix one thing I find two more things that need attention so just get used to spending your retirement fund on replacing parts.............if I could only have my F150 back
Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know where to begin, I'll never remember everything I've replaced, but here's a start.

The List:

New thermostat, water pump, hoses

New serpentine belt

New power steering pump and pulley, [couldn't get the perfectly good pulley off the old pump so had to spend $15 for a new one].

New tires and a $140 Lifetime alignment from Firestone, [have a feeling I'm going to need it].

Needs new fuel pump, soon to come

Had to install temp gauge cause Jeep feels coolant temp isn't important so they didn't include one.

Will have to install hood vents as the heat that pours off the engine is unbelievable, I've never had a vehicle that you couldn't lift the hood cause it's too hot to touch. [luckily Jeep included insulation under the hood to keep the heat in].

New pad and rotors last weekend, [unbelievably, the wheel bearings seemed OK, they'll prolly explode one day when I'm on a trip far from home though].

NPS is going out, have to play with shifter before it'll start.

Headliner started to fall a week after I got it, [WTH!, Jeep can't even glue something right]. First vehicle I've ever had where the headliner failed.

There's a heck of a clunk when I go over speed bumps, maybe the rear axles going to fall off, [why not, the drivers door is].

Drivers door weld came loose so door won't shut compleatly, [I don't mind getting soaked when it rains..............really].

Also, drivers door is acting as a "wedge" and prying a dent into my quater panel, [looks good!].

Engine makes some kind of God awful noise like some pulley bearings going bad, don't know which ones though.

All 4 bump stops disintegrated in my hands when I touched them, [not making that up], will have to replace those.

Oil is blowing out of some seal somewhere, prolly the oil filter adapter.

Also think I should replace the oil pan gasket

By the time you read this in a few hours, I'm sure something else will have broke, but this is just a partial list off the top of my head anyway.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

There is your problem you bought an ex cop car. They dont maintain there stuff for POOPOO.The sheriff were I live they get new cars every two years.They run them into the ground.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't believe you guys bought Jeeps that are 13 and 14 years old and have to put some work into them. The horror!
Old 09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

Sounds about right! I bought my 94' already lifted thinking that would save money in the long run...... ha ha... here's my list.

1-Both front wheel hub assemblies.
2-One front ring and pinion.
3-Two front lockers (Lock Right that was in it, then a Ez-Locker) Running open front now..
4-Every U-joint (some more than once)
5-Sheared bolts off a motor mount, so two new motor mounts.
6-3 heim joints on the frame side of the track bar.
7-Blew an engine up, put a used motor in it. (had to replace rear main, Pan gasket, serp belt on new motor)
8-Found my Bell Housing broke in half when I pulled the motor, new bell housing.
9-radiator cracked, upgraded to a 3-row.
10-Replaced all Control Arm bushings, fixed my death wobble. I then went to a RE fixed lower control arm.
11-Noticed cracking on the unibody at the steering box... plated that area.
12-Noticed unibody cracking behind Control Arm Drop Brackets (previous owner never installed braces) PLated and braced drop brackets and uni-body.
13-Tore heim joint out of track bar, it was for a 6 lift, i'm running 7-1/2. Repaired track bar, and lengthened it.
14-Fuel Pump went out on my way home from moab, new fuel pump.
15-Sick of cracked exhaust header, replaced that.
16-Exhaust basically fell off, fixed that.

I think that's most of it... and this isnt including everything i've done purely for upgrades. Like cowl hood, late model front clip, bead locks, new tires, custom tire rack.... one thing about owning a Cherokee... there's always something to work on.

Last edited by X1994J; 09-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by robertj
I can't believe you guys bought Jeeps that are 13 and 14 years old and have to put some work into them. The horror!

What did you pay for your 2000? I've spent 3 grand in upgrades this year. I bet between what I paid for my Jeep, and what i've put into it, you probably spent more on your little stocker. And I get a sweet rig out of the deal.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The story on my 91:

Bought it for $900 and it overheated 5 miles from the sellers house.
Removed the t-stat and it still overheated.
Took 3.5 hours to make the 45 minute drive to get it home.
Replaced the head gasket, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, heater valve, water pump, and just recently installed a new 3 row radiator to fianally cure the run hot issues.

Lost the left front tire at 45 MPH when the lug nuts stripped off.
Replaced the left front hub assembly, brake rotor and lug nuts.

Right front caliper locked up on the way home from getting the tags and registration.
Replaced right brake rotor, both calipers, brake pads, and right front hub assembly.

Finished bleeding the brakes from all of the front end repairs and blew out a rear wheel cylinder.
Replaced both wheel cylinders, both brake drums, brake shoes, and all rear brake hardware.

All of that with the exception of the radiator was done in the first 3 months of owning it. Since then I have replaced:
Both u-joints on the rear driveshaft
Rear axle with a 29 spline 8.25 (which is soon to be replaced with a D44)
Replaced the yoke on the 8.25 after the u-joint failed
Fan clutch twice
Full tune up
2 sets of tires
2 lift kits, first 4.5 inch and then up to 6.5
New flexplate
Left motor mount
Exhaust from cat back
Fuel pump
Both headlights
Tie rod

And then there is the extensive list of tools I have purchased to continue the relaxing task of repairing issues as they arise. $900 for the XJ, over $3500 in repairs and upgrades, approximately $1000 in new tools. But at this point I would not hestitate to drive it to the end of the street without breaking down.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Working on our jeeps is half the fun.Go out see how it works, break it , go home fix or modifie the part that broke, repeat the prosess, nuff said.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: I6

I dunno, a couple years ago I had an 89 Ford Ranger that was a kind of a mess. It was a tough looking rig that was lifted and had 33's. The suck part about it was that it was always breaking. I had a love hate relationship with it....I think sometimes ya just just get one thats against you. I eventually sold it at a horrible loss. Still though, I kinda miss it! Here's a pic!

Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Sworn
I dunno, a couple years ago I had an 89 Ford Ranger that was a kind of a mess. It was a tough looking rig that was lifted and had 33's. The suck part about it was that it was always breaking. I had a love hate relationship with it....I think sometimes ya just just get one thats against you. I eventually sold it at a horrible loss. Still though, I kinda miss it! Here's a pic!

The thing is with the lifted trucks, is the lift in the rear consists of 5 inch blocks,which equates to poop flex
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mike albo
Working on our jeeps is half the fun.
Then we should be having a ball
Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

i bought a 2000 classic and the only major thing ive replaced was a coil pack and the jeep has 176,000 miles on it i only paid 4000 2-3 years ago...i guess im just lucky
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by shawnmf
i bought a 2000 classic and the only major thing ive replaced was a coil pack and the jeep has 176,000 miles on it i only paid 4000 2-3 years ago...i guess im just lucky
It's a time bomb waiting to explode, just give it awhile
Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
It's a time bomb waiting to explode, just give it awhile

Quick Reply: never ending!!