XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Need opinions on a 93 xj

Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Going to look at a 93 xj, opinions wanted

Alright guys I'm going to look at a 93 2dr xj tomorrow. It's got the 4.0 5 speed 4wd. It has 203xxx on the clock. I can post the CL ad if that helps and I also have pics the owner sent me. I've already looked at it once and I'm getting my buddy that has had jeeps his whole life and has several of them and knows his way around them to help look it over to make sure its worth buying. But here are some things that I noticed when looking and want your alls opinion on it. First I noticed a lot of the clear coat is peaking which isn't a big deal to me. Hardly any body rust. It started and ran really smooth, no ticks no knocks no shimmys no shakes. It seemed very dry underneath. Valve cover gasket looked a little wet but not leaking real bad at all. It shifted smooth. Only Around 40mph it had a little shake to it. Not in the steering wheel tho. I'm thinking maybe a tire out of balance idk. The fuel gauge light was on but he said it doesn't work he just filled it up. He hasn't had it but less than a month and has only put about 20 miles on it. He trailered it home 4hrs. He said it had been sitting for a little while when he bought it and he noticed it was low on oil, he topped it off and said in the 3 weeks he has had it there maybe a half dollar size spot on his driveway. He bought it off the original owner with plans of making it a toy but needs the money. But I crawled underneath it and noticed that the muffler is rusted pretty bad and then I noticed that the floor board in the back seat is almost rusted through one the passenger side but everywhere else wasn't bad at all. He said the PO was in the pool business and we got to thinking that maybe the chlorine had something to do with it cause I noticed that like the front seat brackets have surface rust. The levers on the side of both front seats to fold seat forward to get in the back don't work. And the back seat has a tear in it and isn't in the best of shape. Not a big deal for the price I can afford some new seats. But other than that it looked half assed decent. He said he put a new battery in in when he bought it. He also said the PO put a new slave cylinder and master cylinder in it, new brakes all the way around and a couple other things I can't remember. But to wrap this book up, I can pick this thing up for $780 bucks. What are some key things I.need to be looking for when I go look at it. And what are some things you guys think this thing would need in the near future, like common things that go out or wear out. I'm gonna check the unibody real well for rust.. but ill try posting some pics now on my phone or I will do it in the morning. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Last edited by JTProuhet; 11-02-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM

The 4th pic is of the pass floor board carpet.. you can kind of see the seat base frame rust..
Attached Images      
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 PM

More pics..
Attached Images    

Last edited by JTProuhet; 11-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Good deal? Bad deal?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM

Nothing?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Kind of hard to read the block of text... so the basics are $780, 203K, everything seems to be in good order?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Sorry I was just kindve rambling trying to remember everything I noticed about it.. I went and looked at it again tonight. Motor sounds/runs great, tranny shifts great. But upon further review, the front passenger floor pan has about a 3" rust hole in it and right under the passenger seat there is probably a 4" rust hole. Muffler would need replaced. High pressure side Power steering hose is leaking. Head liner is gone. Rear seat is in bad shape. Front seat levers don't work to fold seat forward to get in the back.. my buddy that is pretty knowledgeable about jeeps said that if it was a toy it wouldn't be so bad but a daily driver its pretty rough. Mechanically it is sound.. I just don't know if I want to take a gamble on it being my daily driver if its just gonna fall apart on me..

Sorry for the ramble again.. lol
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Year: 1997

I would buy it if it were me, sounds like a pretty good deal. But I'm "mechanically inclined" so I can fix the things it needs. If you can fix the issues then yes go for it, doing it yourself will save you moiney in labor. If you plan on having the floors repaired and anything else it may need then it may get quite pricey. Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I didn't see the part about it being a DD. I'd pass as it sounds like it's going to need several hundred dollars in repairs to be safe to drive. Just for reference I picked up my XJ a 92for 1200, and the only thing that needed fixed on it was a sway bar link. If it had needed all the work you're describing I wouldn't have wasted the time. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Finn; 11-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm as well mechanically inclined for the most part. But I guess I am just trying to figure out if it would be worth it, buying it and fixing it up. I could do the floor pans, its just a matter of finding the time to do it lol
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JTProuhet
I'm as well mechanically inclined for the most part. But I guess I am just trying to figure out if it would be worth it, buying it and fixing it up. I could do the floor pans, its just a matter of finding the time to do it lol
If you don't mind turning wrenches and can weld then it's a different story, just got to consider how much time and money you want to put into it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM

I didn't see the part about it being a DD. I'd pass as it sounds like it's going to need several hundred dollars in repairs to be safe to drive. Just for reference I picked up my XJ a 92for 1200, and the only thing that needed fixed on it was a sway bar link. If it had needed all the work you're describing I wouldn't have wasted the time. Just my .02 cents.
Whoops sorry I didn't say in the original post that it will be a daily driver so I can get rid of my 97 f250 powerstroke with almost 300k that I have no use for a diesel anymore lol and I've always liked the looks of the cherokees am on the prowl for one now.

That's what my buddy that went with me tonight said that he picked up his 98 with 160k on it, 3 years ago for $1800. I've been watching CL like a hawk and lately the jeeps in the $1000 range either; don't have a title, a trail jeep, or beat to hell.. the jeeps in the $2000 price range; range anywhere from 88s to 99s with well above 250k.. I was looking at one on CL a min ago, it was a 96 with 160k and they are asking $3600. KBB is showing $2000-2700.. I guess everyone in this area is buying them and everyone that has one knows that people want them and will ask a ridiculous amount for them.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by JTProuhet
Whoops sorry I didn't say in the original post that it will be a daily driver so I can get rid of my 97 f250 powerstroke with almost 300k that I have no use for a diesel anymore lol and I've always liked the looks of the cherokees am on the prowl for one now.

That's what my buddy that went with me tonight said that he picked up his 98 with 160k on it, 3 years ago for $1800. I've been watching CL like a hawk and lately the jeeps in the $1000 range either; don't have a title, a trail jeep, or beat to hell.. the jeeps in the $2000 price range; range anywhere from 88s to 99s with well above 250k.. I was looking at one on CL a min ago, it was a 96 with 160k and they are asking $3600. KBB is showing $2000-2700.. I guess everyone in this area is buying them and everyone that has one knows that people want them and will ask a ridiculous amount for them.
Usually as long as you can find a Jeep with the 4.0 I6 engine the high mileage thing won't/shouldn't be too much of a problem. That motor will go on forever and if it does break they're cheap and easy to fix or straight up replace. I've seen several XJ owner's on here who are nearing or passed 500,000 miles.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Finn
Usually as long as you can find a Jeep with the 4.0 I6 engine the high mileage thing won't/shouldn't be too much of a problem. That motor will go on forever and if it does break they're cheap and easy to fix or straight up replace. I've seen several XJ owner's on here who are nearing or passed 500,000 miles.
Good points. Thank you. I think I'm gonna pass on this 93 and look for something in a little better shape for a dd
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Unless the seller calls me and says hell take $400 cause he didn't know the jeep was in that bad of shape either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need opinions on a 93 xj