Need Comments and Suggestion On Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need Comments and Suggestion On Setup

Well its winter time and im ready to start ordering parts to get this build on the way. I initially wanted to run 35X14.50 boggers but after much researching i dont believe the d30 will handle these without dumping a ton of money into it. I dont want to dump a ton of money into the axles because i plan to do a ton swap in the future.

So far im thinking
6.5" RC or 7.5" RE longarm lift
33" Swamper ltbs
4.88s F&R
Detroit Rear, Spartan Front

I keep having everyone tell me swampers are too heavy and i would have less of chance of breakage running a radial MT like bfg,Mickey thompson,Toyo even in 35s in those.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

Why do you wanna run boggers/swampers so bad? I personally hated my swampers... but to each his own.
I ran my Dana 30 on 35's with an ARB and a V8 for a while,just be easy on the skinny pedal and don't use the locker unless ya really need it. Tire choice affects it alot, I would recommend some bfg km2's. They are not that heavy of a tire. I also ran stock LP grand cherokee shafts,I kept breaking cherokee 760x u joints and shafts- never once broke a zj shaft. If you are gonna go 6-7" of lift 33's will look funny IMO. Might as well go 35's... just remember what axes you have and don't beat the **** out of em.
Sorry for the long post hope it helps...
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Registered Users

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

I could go mutiple paragraphs here on alot of subjects with what your thinking but it's 430am and Im tired so I'll leave it at this... Why in the world would you want to dump 1200 bucks give or take a few hundred dollars on a regear in one set of axles then swap axles and spend another 1200 or so dollars and have to do it all over again.. makes no sense to me.. then again neither does your locker choices, unless that detroit is a tru trac..

Last edited by XJ Knight; 10-03-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by customzj73
Why do you wanna run boggers/swampers so bad? I personally hated my swampers... but to each his own.
I ran my Dana 30 on 35's with an ARB and a V8 for a while,just be easy on the skinny pedal and don't use the locker unless ya really need it. Tire choice affects it alot, I would recommend some bfg km2's. They are not that heavy of a tire. I also ran stock LP grand cherokee shafts,I kept breaking cherokee 760x u joints and shafts- never once broke a zj shaft. If you are gonna go 6-7" of lift 33's will look funny IMO. Might as well go 35's... just remember what axes you have and don't beat the **** out of em.
Sorry for the long post hope it helps...
Because in the clay based mud i have locally they do the best.But i also want something that can be used in the rocks too at ORV parks. Im not knew to offroading just building the xj. Ive been wheeling fullsizes for years.

Well i dont plan to beat the **** out of the axle but im not going to be easy on it either.The taller lift is is because i rather do the lift once, i plan to go bigger tires and other goodies later on.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

If it is a trail rig only and you are going to do an axle swap later I would save the $700 and weld up the spiders in the rear. I would only do gears if you know how to install them yourself... regearing with cost of parts could easily blow a grand.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by XJ Knight
I could go mutiple paragraphs here on alot of subjects with what your thinking but it's 430am and Im tired so I'll leave it at this... Why in the world would you want to dump 1200 bucks give or take a few hundred dollars on a regear in one set of axles then swap axles and spend another 1200 or so dollars and have to do it all over again.. makes no sense to me.. then again neither does your locker choices, unless that detroit is a tru trac..
1200 i guess would be the price if you were having it installed at a shop but my club has like 30 guys that can do a gear & locker install in their sleep lol. Sourcing and building ton axles right now is not in my price range. Whats wrong with my locker choices? Detroit strength is legendary, the spartan is just a cheap way to get a front locker.