Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

My Parking Brake handle broke!!!! Please help!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Parking Brake handle broke!!!! Please help!!!

Hi everybody. I'm new to this site, I came here because I feel like I have no hope.

I have a jeep cherokee laredo '92. Last year my parking brake broke. The button that you press down popped off along with this little spring. I went to the car shop, the machanic said I need a whole new assembly, the rod, the handle, etc. Is there a site that I can order it off of? I've been looking online and can't find anything. Also theres a place called pick and pull where I live that lets you pull the parts yourself but I barely know anything about cars, let alone on how to pull a part. Can someone please help me? If anyone can find a site please give me a direct link or tell me for sure which parts I need. The lever wont stay up. I need this fixed so I can pass inspection. Thankyou. Tiphany.

Last edited by Tiphany; 04-12-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Tiphany
Hi everybody. I'm new to this site, I came here because I feel like I have no hope.

I have a jeep cherokee laredo '92. Last year my parking brake broke. The button that you press down popped off along with this little spring. I went to the car shop, the machanic said I need a whole new assembly, the rod, the handle, etc. Is there a site that I can order it off of? I've been looking online and can't find anything. Also theres a place called pick and pull where I live that lets you pull the parts yourself but I barely know anything about cars, let alone on how to pull a part. Can someone please help me? If anyone can find a site please give me a direct link or tell me for sure which parts I need. The lever wont stay up. I need this fixed so I can pass inspection. Thankyou. Tiphany.
Your best bet is to have your mechanic get the part for you, he knows what you need or don't need if he's already looked at it. If the entire assembly is needed, you will have a hard time finding one online, Ebay or CL is probably going to be your best bet of finding one, but unless you know EXACTLY what it is you are looking for, you might get the wrong thing. Yes, you can go to P-N-P to get it, but it sounds like you are not mechanically inclined, and finding the right part for your car can be kind of hit or miss in a salvage yard, especially if you don't have a good knowledge base. If you do go to the P-N-P, ask them if they have access to the Hollander Interchange. That way they can cross reference any other cars that might use the same part, that you can pull from if your exact vehicle isn't available. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I believe the handle assembly (the entire assembly) is still available from the dealer for around $60. You could call your local Chrysler/Jeep dealer or, if you don't have a local dealer, call a distant one that will complete the transaction over the phone and ship the part to you.

The button and spring are not available, separately.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 AM

thanks y'all. Its crazy I can find all the other parts, even on websites that sell used car parts except for this particular part. Smh, this is crazy.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 AM

okay you guys, I was online early in the wee hours trying to see if I could find a break through. I saw a whole parking break assembly for a Grand Jeep cherokee...although I drive a '92, do you guys think that I can order this part and it'll be compatable with my 1992 Jeep cherokee laredo? Here's the url for the image of the stuff that I want to get:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...e/00000DK1.jpg

here's another url that gives an exact break down of all the parts, each one is labled:http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=632314
Thanks in advance to anyone else that can help me out, just remember to be very specific because as stated before, I barely know much about cars lol. Tiphany.

Last edited by Tiphany; 04-13-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tiphany
okay you guys, I was online early in the wee hours trying to see if I could find a break through. I saw a whole parking break assembly for a Grand Jeep cherokee...although I drive a '92, do you guys think that I can order this part and it'll be compatable with my 1992 Jeep cherokee laredo? Here's the url for the image of the stuff that I want to get:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...e/00000DK1.jpg

here's another url that gives an exact break down of all the parts, each one is labled:http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=632314
Thanks in advance to anyone else that can help me out, just remember to be very specific because as stated before, I barely know much about cars lol. Tiphany.
Call the pick and pull in your area and ask them if they use the Hollander Interchange, if they do, then tell them the part you need from your car, and they can normally print up a list of compatible donors. If the Grand is on that list, you're golden. That kind of part is generally hard to find online, as you have discovered, and the dealership might be your best bet for getting the correct one.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I have an entire parking brake lever assembly from my 94 i could ship your way. PM if interested.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Well, there ya go, LOL
Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
I have an entire parking brake lever assembly from my 94 i could ship your way. PM if interested.
Okay. Ill be hitting u up later on. thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Call the pick and pull in your area and ask them if they use the Hollander Interchange, if they do, then tell them the part you need from your car, and they can normally print up a list of compatible donors. If the Grand is on that list, you're golden. That kind of part is generally hard to find online, as you have discovered, and the dealership might be your best bet for getting the correct one.
They do hollander exchange, saw it on their website.