My last DUH moment was...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default My last DUH moment was...

Mistakenly assuming the aw4 tv cable was merely a kick down cable. Adjusted it to kick down sooner, then attributed the change in performance to the bigger tires that went on. Duh!

Last edited by Chad'sCheep; 04-30-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2015, 03:58 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Couldn't figure out & bad mouthed my new radiator because it didn't fit right. Then I saw the old radiator mounts still on the old radiator in my back seat while driving.

OHHHHHHHHH....DUHHHHHH!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My best one i parked my truck on a small hill so i set the parking brake,When i left i forgot to release the parking brake.I drove for about 3 miles before i smelt something burning brakes then i looked down and seen the parking brake still pushed down.I felt really stupid but when i got home i checked my rear brakes i did no damage thank god.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

Year: 2000

I did a good one yesterday at work. Drug out my leads to weld pick eyes on some liners, set the welder and went to work. After blaming (and subsequently tossing) about a dozen rods, adjusting the ground clamp several times and adding several new entries to Webster's Dictionary of Profanities, I looked over and noticed that someone failed to twist the twist lock connector and the negative lead was still piled up about 5 feet from the truck.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
I did a good one yesterday at work. Drug out my leads to weld pick eyes on some liners, set the welder and went to work. After blaming (and subsequently tossing) about a dozen rods, adjusting the ground clamp several times and adding several new entries to Webster's Dictionary of Profanities, I looked over and noticed that someone failed to twist the twist lock connector and the negative lead was still piled up about 5 feet from the truck.
I'm learning to weld in an AWS welding course on the weekends. My second Saturday under the hood, I was burning a 6010 rod when I smelled something different from usual. I lifted my hood and realized my booth was filled with smoke. I looked down and discovered that I was on fire.

I had on cotton khakis that I thought would be okay, but they were unraveled at the bottom of the leg. One of those BBs from the 6010 splatter hit that fringe and set me ablaze. I swatted the hell out of my leg with my gloves until I put it out. I never even felt the heat, but it actually melted my shoelaces into a permanent knot that I had to cut off my boot.

The worst part was that when I looked around the lab, absolutely nobody had seen it. I mean, if you're gonna set yourself on fire, at least you should have an audience. My dancing and swatting performance was totally wasted.

I immediately ordered a two-pack of those one-use fire extinguishers and now keep one in my welding gear bag.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM

Kevlar shoelaces are worth every penny of the $10 or so!!!

Another handy trick I've picked up from the old timers is to put a strip of duct tape over anything frayed.

When you get to messing with stainless and high alloys a lot, you'll develop a special hate for the rivers of slag that run off of 308 and 308L.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by kgm
Couldn't figure out & bad mouthed my new radiator because it didn't fit right. Then I saw the old radiator mounts still on the old radiator in my back seat while driving.

OHHHHHHHHH....DUHHHHHH!!!!
So that's what it was! lol
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless slag is a pain, I had to tig fill a 5/8 hole overhead while sitting in a 300 gallon kettle. Drop of slag hit my crotch and I instantly caught fire. In my panic I threw the tig torch and proceed beat on my crotch till the blaze subsided. Luckily my man hood is ok, but the two pairs of pants and undies have new speed holes. I bet we all have more duh moments than we care to admit.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I'm learning to weld in an AWS welding course on the weekends. My second Saturday under the hood, I was burning a 6010 rod when I smelled something different from usual. I lifted my hood and realized my booth was filled with smoke. I looked down and discovered that I was on fire.

I had on cotton khakis that I thought would be okay, but they were unraveled at the bottom of the leg. One of those BBs from the 6010 splatter hit that fringe and set me ablaze. I swatted the hell out of my leg with my gloves until I put it out. I never even felt the heat, but it actually melted my shoelaces into a permanent knot that I had to cut off my boot.

The worst part was that when I looked around the lab, absolutely nobody had seen it. I mean, if you're gonna set yourself on fire, at least you should have an audience. My dancing and swatting performance was totally wasted.

I immediately ordered a two-pack of those one-use fire extinguishers and now keep one in my welding gear bag.

I was using a chop saw to cut some cable off a big spool when my coworker says "Hey dude your f-ing leg is on fire!". Looked down and it was only smoldering, shower of sparks burned through my carhartt jeans, long johns, and started into my wool sock just above the boot.