my battle against wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default my battle against wind noise

My '92 XJ has an awful lot of wind noise at higher speeds on the highway, so I've been checking out ways to help reduce that and today I experienced a bit of victory!

My door seals weren't completely shot, but also weren't in the best shape. I knew the 97+ weatherstrip was upgraded, so I pulled a full set from a very nice cash for clunkers XJ at the JY. That alone made a noticeable difference in the wind noise, but then I took it a step further.

After spending time last week at my in-laws and looking over their newer model XJs, I was determined to find things that made theirs so much more quiet than mine. One big thing I noticed was the windshield seal; theirs did not have the chrome trim piece that mine has. I ran a line of electrical tape over the gaps in the trim and was not surprised when that too made a noticeable difference! It isn't that my seal leaks air through it, but that little trim piece catches more air than you realize.

When I got home I searched several forums and learned that you can remove the trim piece, carefully cut off the mounting tabs, and then have a professional install your glass with a 97+ seal in your 96- XJ. Good stuff, just had to share!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Been battling wind and road noise myself for awhile.. pulling trim and applying adhesive sound deadner with a heatgun underneath.. problem is the more i seal up and silence the louder the hidden rattles in the dash get.. that being said it only takes one middle of the night run in a blizzard to keep everything in perspective.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by LeeVenHawk
...that being said it only takes one middle of the night run in a blizzard to keep everything in perspective.
Right you are!