Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l IL6
Default Michigan Lift Laws, Bumper Measurements

I just went out and measured my Jeep and I am just barley within MI lift laws. In MI The laws are 24 in to the midpoint (measured at halfway between axles) of the frame rails, and 28in to the highest point of the bottom of the bumper (for GVWR of 4500+). No coil spring spacers, 2in from OE on the shackles (just made it) and 4in on lift blocks (not that I have them)

So I am looking for some insight to anybody in MI that has ever been checked for this, or knows the laws well.

When they say highest (it is even italicized in the laws) do they mean that? For example, I just ordered my JCR winch pre-runner bumper, and it angles up on the outer edges. Do you think they will go by that edge and not the center? If so I am not going to make it.

Does a trailer hitch count for bumper height? my rear sits at 28-28.5, but my receiver is well within height. How about a front skid plate?

I know it can depend on the officer, and the area, but I am just trying to be legit.

I might make up for it as my springs and leafs are all fresh, they haven't even seen a flex, or covered 50 miles yet. (RE 5.5" LA on 33's).

Also if you ever wondered you GVWR it's on your drivers door sticker and mine is 4900lbs
Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Know several people here who are running a lift kit of atleast 8" or more with out any issues with the police. When they measure they do it from the bottom of the bumper... no matter what kind of bumper you have. I haven't seen many officer's in this state that will go and check those measurements other than at silver lake.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l IL6

Yeah I didn't think that many would ever check, just didn't want to give them a reason. I have never been to Silver Lake, but I plan on making my way up there at some point. I guess I will find out then