Maintaining an XJ that will mostly sit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Maintaining an XJ that will mostly sit

We were gifted a 1999 Jeep XJ that we'll be using as our second car. I work at home so we'll only use this car occasionally to haul something or if we go to the beach. It was a daily driver for my wife's grandfather but we don't plan on using it often for a few years until my son goes to school. Besides starting it occasionally and driving it around the neighborhood, what else needs to be taken into consideration when maintaining a car that does not get used often?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Don't know if this applies to you as i live out in the country...MICE..dam !@#$*& MICE!

The best thing to do is to drive it. During the Winter i normally let my Jeep sit no more than a couple weeks without at least starting it then let it run until the engine temp is up to normal.
This Winter however, i had a lot of sh** going on and forgot. It sat for a couple months without starting. But it fired right up last week.

If it sits for prolonged periods you might want to use a battery tender to keep the battery fresh. Other than checking fluids, fuel stabilizer/de-icer, covering it, off hand i don't think there's much else.

Maybe someone else here has some more ideas.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

car

Last edited by nujeepguy; 04-22-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

in addition to driving it, change your oil on time, not miles, Every 6 mo or so, change the oil. I would also cover it and the tires if it is not parked in a garage or car port, Something about sitting with the sun hitting it all day, it does a lot of damage to paint and rubber. wax it every few months too.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

don't just start it and let it sit till it gets to temp, drive it around so all the fluids circulate properly. drive it till it gets to operating temp, not just 1-2 minutes and then shutting it off.

if it were me, i'd use the jeep when i have to go get groceries (so every couple of days), and use my "first" car for the more lengthy trips like going to work or visiting people outside of town.

mine sat for several years with no start and seals were the main issue, like most have said
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I use the jeep on the weekends around town to keep everything in order. Will occasionally drive it to work during the week or when the weather is bad
Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Drive it a minimum of a 10 mile one way trip at least once a week. A trip shorter than that and it won't charge the battery sufficiently. Drive it less than that and it will have seal issues. They start to dry up and leak when they set too long. Have the wife drive it to the grocery store every week.