Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for validation either good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking for validation either good or bad

Hello forum members. I am new to the forum. I joined because I came across a pristine 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4 door 4x4 two days ago at what I thought was a good buy so made an impulse purchase. I have never owned a Jeep, and knew nothing about them prior to the buy. I did do some quick research the day after to find many people have allot of good things to say about them.

The bad news, late yesterday I noticed some leaks and took the Jeep to the local dealership today and found out that it has leaks in four places. Main seals, oil pan seals, valve cover gasket, and one other place I can't remember. Bottom line is I will be spending approx. $1,200 more to get it all fixed.

I am hoping someone will let me know if they thought I had mad a good or bad decision. The jeep has 103,000 miles, no rust except on the rear springs, always garaged, original paint with no fade & a only a few minor chips, interior immaculate, all power options except seats, new shocks, hoses, belts, everything works, and "one of the nicest looking older Jeeps they have seen" according to dealership???

Saying all that, I paid $3,900 out the door and am getting ready to put approx. another $1,200+ in it for a total of $5,200. Will this Jeep nickle and dime me or will one of these be worth the investment for a spare family vehicle.

I really like the vehicle so I hope to keep it and maybe talk to you all more in the future.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Don't take it to a dealership. They don't nickel and dime you, they have bigger bills in mind.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Rear main seal, oil pan, Valve cover, oil filter adaptor o-ring and gaskets all leak over time. All in all its a solid vehicle and more abundant in junkyards. 4x4 capabilities are amazing and it's an all around good rig.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Paid a bit more than what I would have and those repair prices are way high. I'd do some shopping around for that. Parts alone to fix the 3 you listed are less than 50 bucks. They aren't easy repairs for someone who isn't a wrench turner but can be done in you're driveway.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Although the Jeep is immaculate appearance wise, I thought I may have paid a bid much for the vehicle given the repairs it needed. Unfortunately, I told the dealer to move forward with the repairs before I joined this forum. Once the repairs are done, I will look to do all future work myself or find a reasonable mechanic that knows Jeeps.