Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking at ths XJ in a few days

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking at ths XJ in a few days

Hello Cherokee Forum fiends, so im going to be driving an hour + to look at and maybe buy this Cherokee off Craigslist

I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee sport, with a 4.0 inline 6 with a five speed Manuel transmission.Factory Manuel. With 111xxx miles on it.4X4 works great
The Good:
New shocks all around,
All new brake lines, rotors, and pads
New spark plugs, wires and distributor cap/engine tune up
New oil and filter
New crankshaft position sensor
Previous owners did ball joints and tie rod ends.
NO RUST OR ROT ANYWHERE!
Very clean exterior and interior
Well maintained and looks nice
Aluminum rims
It passes safety inspection.

The Bad:
Needs tailpipe. Just the tailpipe. Replacing that this week.
Check engine light is on. There is a bad connection to the crankshaft position sensor. It is sending out high or low voltage is what was told to me. The estimated cost to repair it was 250. Which i did take off for in the listing price. But the car still drives great and is a great winter car, i have never gotten stuck in this thing!

I need the money to pay for school so the lowest i can do is 2995. Its worth 3800 so its your call. Jeep is is really nice, come look at it and you'll see. Please no low ballers.

PostingID: 2815091536

any suggestions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I am really excited about it so i want to make sure i don't overlook any critical areas in my excitement. and last but not least is it worth it?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Do your self a favor and assume he is lying about why the check engine light is on. You dont want to buy it and then not pass emissions if it turns out that its more than the connection he is talking about. If its such an easy fix why doesnt he just fix it before he sells. If he could prove thats all that it needs than I say its a hell of a deal. I would buy it in a heart beat then.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

x2, i say make him pass it, wither it be legit or not, looks good, and no rust in VT? i like that its stick tho
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 89

Make sure that intermitting signal isn't one of those sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't things. Seems he replace a lot of items. Makes me curious why someone would replace the brake lines with only 111k miles. Which doesn't have anything to do with starting, it just caught my eye.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

yup with no rust there would be no reason to replace the brake lines.... "with only 111k miles" : )
Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM

So what I'm getting is that chances are I should stay away from it. Well now I'm not sure what to do. I would be buying the Cherokee to replace my DD and have fun with on the weekends and during the week... it's an hour and a half drive from me and now I'm wondering if its even worth going over to see. I would hate to drive over there and have everything work while I'm test driving it and then have it not start up after getting gas on the drive back only to have to tow it the rest of the way home. That would add to the price quite a bit.

My current DD is a Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, so its a 2wd truck that gets 17+/- mpg. not great considering most 4x4's i have had in the past have gotten better. and to top it off its registration, and inspection are both almost up,about $120, and it is in need of $250+ worth of work. I just hate putting money into a 2wd truck when i really want and need the 4x4 especially in the winter.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Lothar of the Hill People
So what I'm getting is that chances are I should stay away from it. Well now I'm not sure what to do. I would be buying the Cherokee to replace my DD and have fun with on the weekends and during the week... it's an hour and a half drive from me and now I'm wondering if its even worth going over to see. I would hate to drive over there and have everything work while I'm test driving it and then have it not start up after getting gas on the drive back only to have to tow it the rest of the way home. That would add to the price quite a bit.

My current DD is a Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, so its a 2wd truck that gets 17+/- mpg. not great considering most 4x4's i have had in the past have gotten better. and to top it off its registration, and inspection are both almost up,about $120, and it is in need of $250+ worth of work. I just hate putting money into a 2wd truck when i really want and need the 4x4 especially in the winter.
No one is suggesting you stay away from it. When you go to see it ask if you can take it to an auto parts store, napa, autozone etc. They can pull the code and tell you why the check engine light is on. Check the unibody for rust, test the 4x4. If all checks out it's a great deal.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the bake lines being replaced, lots of shady brake places that will tell you everything needs replacing...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by sthon
No one is suggesting you stay away from it. When you go to see it ask if you can take it to an auto parts store, napa, autozone etc. They can pull the code and tell you why the check engine light is on. Check the unibody for rust, test the 4x4. If all checks out it's a great deal.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the bake lines being replaced, lots of shady brake places that will tell you everything needs replacing...
Good advice, If it turns out ok then its a good deal. Not easy to find a 5speed with low milage
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

i dont know where the jeep is in Vt, but i can tell you auto parts stores aren't a dime a dozen there...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Well I got a text the day i was about to go see it and someone had bought it the day before, so its back to searching for an XJ, guess ill have to throw some $$$ into my current truck to get me by. thanks for your suggestions and input it was greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

awww, that sucks, i was really hoping to see some pictures when i opened this thread...
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

does it have to be stick?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran