Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Looking to buy.... Few questions for the pros :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking to buy.... Few questions for the pros :)

So I am selling my car tonight and have decided that I want a Grand Cherokee, but am a little lost on the options and am hoping to get a few straight answers....... and expect to get some "search, noob!" comments

Here it is, first up!
Pros and cons for 96-98 vs 99-01 (budget wise I can't get newer than 01)
If you like 96-98, what engine and why?
Same for 99-01.
What are the benefits of getting a Limited other that the painted lower? It seems like you can find a Laredo with the leather and the power, etc.
The owners that I have contacted don't know if theirs is Quada-drive, whats the other one, Select-drive?... etc. They only know that it is 4x4. What should I be looking for as far as the 4x4 setup (transfercase) goes?

I am really torn on which engine I should be looking for, and if it really matters if I get a Limited or Laredo.... I would like to have heated leather, but I don't have to. I like to 99+ body better, but I don't know if it's the better option.

So in general, tell me what's best.... Look for 99 limited with a 4.7 quadra-drive, etc..... with some sort of reason.

I need to buy a car this week and really need to narrow down what year and engine, etc I should get. I am sure there's people out there that have bought something and wish that they would have gotten something else.... like they got the 4.0 and wish they had the 5.2, or whatever.

So I know your first question... what are you planning on doing with it?

I plan on daily driving it, with the occasional hit a trail to go hiking type of thing. I will most likely decide to do a 2" lift, but I don't want to get into a big lift that requires a bunch of supporting mods since I won't be taking it off-road that often. My daily driving consists of a 6 mile city drive to work, then 6 miles back..... it takes 20-25 minutes, so there's a lot of stops.

Thanks for any help/advise you can throw my way!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would help ya bro, I only know much about XJs

sorry