Looking at an axle project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6
Default Looking at an axle project.

Well it is almost time to where i start my engine stroke and rebuild (along with a secret performance upgrade i can share later) and i have been thinking about starting on an upgraded axle project, i drive a 94 jeep grand cherokee laredo and was wondering if i was going to do a 44 or ford 3/4 axle up front (if i can find one cheap) what would be the best option for the rear? what other combinations might be better without going up to 60's im only planning on running 34" tires for the next few years.

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 02-29-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 AM

Added note, these will be junkyard axles i am going to be cleaning up and upgrading so price wise i believe my local ewe pullet has a flat rate price for all axles.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 AM

Pricing, http://www.ewepullet.com/simple-parts-pricing/ also a vehicle list on same page

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 02-29-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Have no idea what you now have (other than a 2" lift spacers?) and what all you plan to do before you try to run a 35" tire. Like lift, fender trimming, SYE, Driveshaft's, Gears, Lockers just to name a few of many involved with a ZJ.

If I might ask why a stroker in this when they came with V-8's from the factory an easy with much more HP swap to begin with???
Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Dont like v8s, stroker was cheaper for me, going up to 3.5 inch lift this spring all new fenders coming from GA redoing my front and rear suspension and my axles are going to need a rebuild soon so i rather upgrade. lockers and gears are all something im doing when i get the new axles
Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by CherokeeHoonigan
stroker was cheaper for me

that must be nice. I've always wanted a hopped up I6 but the pricing to do it right never came out cheaper than doing a 5.3L swap.

I wouldn't bother with your axles yet. If you have to ask which ones you should go with then you're definitely not ready to decide. I could tell you all day that you need 1 tons and someone could come in behind me and say don't bother with those you definitely need 1/2 tons. all the info is already out there you're going to have to come up with a budget and a tire size goal, how often do you wheel, is it street driven, what are all your friends doing. etc.

one thing for sure, don't even consider a D60 in the rear when there are definitely better options (14b/sterling).
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

For 35s you could run a xj high pinon dana 30 and a v8 zj dana 44a.For a dana 44 front you have two options a 80 and newer jeep wagoneer which is low pinion and 6 lug.The ford ones are ok but hard to find since they havn't used them since 78 and people think they are made of gold the way they price them.For the price it cost to swap axles that don't bolt in i would go 1 tons only.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
v8 zj dana 44a

aluminum center 44... wouldn't put a penny into one of those.

see how this works OP?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Ford 8.8
The 44a is not a axle you buy,..... it's a axle you sale in order to get a good axle.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe you two should look on mall crawlin,Guys on there have trussed and skid plated the 44a and its taken a beating and lived.Take a look at http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...truss-and-skid same axle in a wj http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...Truss-and-Skid
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Still going to be street driven but heavily wheeled in the summers. I am not SWAPPING the axles right away im using them as something to work on in my off time because getting gears, axles, lockers all at once wont work for me, by the time i finish doing what i want to them i will have my lift and motor done. As for the stroker being a cheaper option for me i am getting quite a bit off my build for him doing to I6 build so long as his shops name goes on my jeep. Oh, and as much as i would like i dont think im going with one tons i just want some opinions on axles with parts readily available for non insane prices and hopefully one with aftermarket jeep support thanks for the input

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 03-01-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CherokeeHoonigan
Oh, and as much as i would like i dont think im going with one tons i just want some opinions on axles with parts readily available for non insane prices and hopefully one with aftermarket jeep support thanks for the input
that's the problem. you're going to spend just as much on a D44 front axle build as you would a D60 (maybe more).

it makes the most sense to just keep your stock axles until you have a sense of what you're going for here. sounds like you're looking at a long build time, by the time you assemble this whole thing I'd wager that any axle you build now won't be the axle you want later

Last edited by Atmos; 03-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Why not get a full set of axles from a TJ Rubicon. They should bolt up nice under the ZJ, and have a good aftermarket on upgrades. You also start off with 4.11's and lockers from the factory.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Maybe you two should look on mall crawlin,Guys on there have trussed and skid plated the 44a and its taken a beating and lived.Take a look at http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...truss-and-skid same axle in a wj http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...Truss-and-Skid
No thanks. A polished turd is still a turd. Like saying a 35 is good if you truss it, sleeve it, ......
Both are adequate in stock form.

Originally Posted by dans98xj
Why not get a full set of axles from a TJ Rubicon. They should bolt up nice under the ZJ, and have a good aftermarket on upgrades. You also start off with 4.11's and lockers from the factory.
I thought the same thing but a guy who parts out & rebuilds both ZJs & TJs said the rear axles mount differently. I took his word on it & didn't research further.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
that's the problem. you're going to spend just as much on a D44 front axle build as you would a D60 (maybe more).

it makes the most sense to just keep your stock axles until you have a sense of what you're going for here. sounds like you're looking at a long build time, by the time you assemble this whole thing I'd wager that any axle you build now won't be the axle you want later
thats the thing i want a fairly long build time on these axles. im using it as a way to learn, im not going to D60's on a daily doesnt suit my needs. time is NOT an issue with this build just need something with aftermarket support and somebody with exp. with the axles that can give me some heads up and information on them. either way im rebuilding the WHOLE axle when i get them.

Quick Reply: Looking at an axle project.