Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for advice on the best type of Cherokee to buy used ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking for advice on the best type of Cherokee to buy used ?

Hi guys, I'm looking for Jeep Cherokee XJ for a daily driver second vehicle. I do travel about 25 minutes to work each day, but I need something that is going to be good for off roading, and carry my hunting gear.

Anyways, Ive been researching this forum and others to try to figure out the best years of Cherokee's to buy, and the good and bad points of each year.

I have determined that I am looking to buy a 1997-1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The features I am looking for are (please suggest any other if I left it out) I hear the best year is a 1999 because they have the highest horsepower, and no head problems like the 00-01 XJs. But if I can't find a '99, then a 97 & 98 XJs are great years also....anyways this is what I'm looking for (right ?) :

-- dana 30 front axle high pitch--
-- chrys 8.25 rear axle--
--4.0 H.O. with 4 sp auto--

Now, I have a few questions that I'm not really certain. I live in Ontario, Canada, and although we have'nt had hardly no snow at all this year, we usually do get snow for 3 months off and on. Would I be better to try to find a Cherokee with the "selec trac" transfer case, so it can be left in 4wd, while driving on a snow covered road that has some dry patches ? Are the "selec tracs" less durable that a "command trac" ? I am used to driving old Z71 pick up trucks that can't have the 4wd engaged unless its a completely snow covered road, or some other type of serious off roading through mud or whatever, so if the "command trac" is a much stronger, reliable unit, then I won't even bother looking for a "selec trac" Cherokee.

Another question is the ABS brakes ? Its my understanding that if your Cherokee is made from 97-99, and it has ABS brakes, then you have to get the least desireable Dana 35 rear diff. ? Are the ABS brakes available with the Chrys 8.25 also ? In other words, I should avoid a Cherokee with ABS brakes because it will be not as good off roading, and will have the Dana 35, which is'nt what most people want.? Is the 8.25 alot better than the Dana 35 ?

I do plan on using my Cherokee as a daily driver, so I would actually prefer ABS brakes, because its nice to have in the snow.....however, if the ABS brakes really sucks when it comes to off roading, then I'm not going to get it.

I don't plan now on being a heavy off roader, who will be rock crawling. However, I do like the idea of giving my Cherokee a 3 inch suspension lift, and putting on some 30-31" BFG A/Ts or M/Ts, because the extra clearance and better traction will come in handy because I do alot of hunting, and often I do require a ATV to get to my spots, but if I had a capable Jeep, then I think I might be able to save myself the trouble of bringing my ATV, which is a pain in the A$$ in the mornings loading up the trailer when your half asleep.

One more question ? I'm not really sure about Lockers ? to get them or not ? I will be using my cherokee as a daily driver, and I do occasionally drive on snow/ice. I would like the extra traction of lockers off road, but I also don't want to spend $2000 installing front and rear arb air lockers. In my situation, am I better off not installing lockers at all, since I won't be spending big bucks on the Arb front and rear air lockers ? What would my better options be as a DD, in occasional snow/ice. I don't mind spending $400-$500 plus install, each for front and rear lockers, but I know the ARBs are way more than that, and I did'nt know if anything else would be suitable for what my DD will be used for?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. Please correct me on anything I wrote here, because I have done a bit of research, but I am a novice when it comes to Jeeps.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by blueflash
Hi guys, I'm looking for Jeep Cherokee XJ for a daily driver second vehicle. I do travel about 25 minutes to work each day, but I need something that is going to be good for off roading, and carry my hunting gear.

Anyways, Ive been researching this forum and others to try to figure out the best years of Cherokee's to buy, and the good and bad points of each year.

I have determined that I am looking to buy a 1997-1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The features I am looking for are (please suggest any other if I left it out) I hear the best year is a 1999 because they have the highest horsepower, and no head problems like the 00-01 XJs. But if I can't find a '99, then a 97 & 98 XJs are great years also....anyways this is what I'm looking for (right ?) :

-- dana 30 front axle high pitch--
-- chrys 8.25 rear axle--
--4.0 H.O. with 4 sp auto--

Now, I have a few questions that I'm not really certain. I live in Ontario, Canada, and although we have'nt had hardly no snow at all this year, we usually do get snow for 3 months off and on. Would I be better to try to find a Cherokee with the "selec trac" transfer case, so it can be left in 4wd, while driving on a snow covered road that has some dry patches ? Are the "selec tracs" less durable that a "command trac" ? I am used to driving old Z71 pick up trucks that can't have the 4wd engaged unless its a completely snow covered road, or some other type of serious off roading through mud or whatever, so if the "command trac" is a much stronger, reliable unit, then I won't even bother looking for a "selec trac" Cherokee.

Another question is the ABS brakes ? Its my understanding that if your Cherokee is made from 97-99, and it has ABS brakes, then you have to get the least desireable Dana 35 rear diff. ? Are the ABS brakes available with the Chrys 8.25 also ? In other words, I should avoid a Cherokee with ABS brakes because it will be not as good off roading, and will have the Dana 35, which is'nt what most people want.? Is the 8.25 alot better than the Dana 35 ?

I do plan on using my Cherokee as a daily driver, so I would actually prefer ABS brakes, because its nice to have in the snow.....however, if the ABS brakes really sucks when it comes to off roading, then I'm not going to get it.

I don't plan now on being a heavy off roader, who will be rock crawling. However, I do like the idea of giving my Cherokee a 3 inch suspension lift, and putting on some 30-31" BFG A/Ts or M/Ts, because the extra clearance and better traction will come in handy because I do alot of hunting, and often I do require a ATV to get to my spots, but if I had a capable Jeep, then I think I might be able to save myself the trouble of bringing my ATV, which is a pain in the A$$ in the mornings loading up the trailer when your half asleep.

One more question ? I'm not really sure about Lockers ? to get them or not ? I will be using my cherokee as a daily driver, and I do occasionally drive on snow/ice. I would like the extra traction of lockers off road, but I also don't want to spend $2000 installing front and rear arb air lockers. In my situation, am I better off not installing lockers at all, since I won't be spending big bucks on the Arb front and rear air lockers ? What would my better options be as a DD, in occasional snow/ice. I don't mind spending $400-$500 plus install, each for front and rear lockers, but I know the ARBs are way more than that, and I did'nt know if anything else would be suitable for what my DD will be used for?

Any responses are greatly appreciated. Please correct me on anything I wrote here, because I have done a bit of research, but I am a novice when it comes to Jeeps.
Wow, I'm glad you've done your research.

Ok:

1. I agree with years your are looking for, you will be happy with 97-99.

2. Go with the command trac, it has better aftermarket support. You will be fine driving on semi-snow covered roads.

3. Go with the 8.25 rear end. Far stronger the the D35 rear, and who needs ABS anyways lol.

4. 3 inch lift with 31 MTs, you'll be able to hunt where you want, when you want.

5. Ok, since your going to be taking your jeep into the Canadian out back to hunt, I would say lock the rear. Since its your DD, don't lock the front. For 300 dollars, you can get an Aussie locker for the rear, and install it in an afternoon. Trust me, it's not hard, I promise it's something you can do yourself.

6. Welcome to the forum, and let us know if you have any other questions!!