Longest Lasting A/T & M/T Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Longest Lasting A/T & M/T Tires?

Im Looking to get a set of 35" Tires soon they will need to fit on a 15X8 Rim

What im looking for is a set of tires that will last a long time. Will be able to get alot of miles out of them. They need to be either an A/T tire or a M/T tire. And have a decent tread pattern for off road use since this is my DD and weekend Warrior. Im Tired of buying tires and not getting many miles out of them, Most only lasting between 30-40 Thousand miles. I figured I would post to see what others may be running that have lasted for a long time that im not aware of. So far the only tires that I've had that seemed to last for a fairly good amount of miles is the classic BFG A/T,.. the last set of those I had lasted about 60-70 Thousand miles. But that was some time ago before getting into a M/T Tire . The BFG A/T were ok but weren't all that well off road. They would clog up fairly easy with mud and then be useless. So what I would like to know if there's any other A/T That's better off road with equivalent mileage tread wear or a M/T that has decent Mileage tread wear. Im sure others would also like to know as well. So post up your thoughts on what tires your running,... off road capability,... and most important how many miles your getting out of them before you need to replace them with another set.

Thanx,

Last edited by aquickmopar; 12-09-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
Im Looking to get a set of 35" Tires soon they will need to fit on a 15X8 Rim

What im looking for is a set of tires that will last a long time. Will be able to get alot of miles out of them. They need to be either an A/T tire or a M/T tire. And have a decent tread pattern for off road use since this is my DD and weekend Warrior. Im Tired of buying tires and not getting many miles out of them, Most only lasting between 30-40 Thousand miles. I figured I would post to see what others may be running that have lasted for a long time that im not aware of. So far the only tires that I've had that seemed to last for a fairly good amount of miles is the classic BFG A/T,.. the last set of those I had lasted about 60-70 Thousand miles. But that was some time ago before getting into a M/T Tire . The BFG A/T were ok but weren't all that well off road. They would clog up fairly easy with mud and then be useless. So what I would like to know if there's any other A/T That's better off road with equivalent mileage tread wear or a M/T that has decent Mileage tread wear. Im sure others would also like to know as well. So post up your thoughts on what tires your running,... off road capability,... and most important how many miles your getting out of them before you need to replace them with another set.

Thanx,
Firestone Destination M/T's. Google them. I've had a set before, but unfortunately I downgrade lifts and had to sell them. Still looked new at 8k~ miles.

Don't expect a smooth ride though. They're pretty rugged. THen again you want a 35" M/T tire so I don't expect that's what you're looking for. Just the texture of the FD MT lets you know it's rigid. I'm sure it'll last 50K no problems.

Last edited by CoffeeCommando; 12-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have BFG M/T KMs on my XJ and they are great on and off the road. They have about 20000 miles on them and still have lots of tread (over 1/2" deep).
Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
Firestone Destination M/T's. Google them. I've had a set before, but unfortunately I downgrade lifts and had to sell them. Still looked new at 8k~ miles.

Don't expect a smooth ride though. They're pretty rugged. THen again you want a 35" M/T tire so I don't expect that's what you're looking for. Just the texture of the FD MT lets you know it's rigid. I'm sure it'll last 50K no problems.

Thanx, for your input. I'll keep them in consideration if they sell them in 35's

Originally Posted by mudderx
I have BFG M/T KMs on my XJ and they are great on and off the road. They have about 20000 miles on them and still have lots of tread (over 1/2" deep).

Thanx, for your input. I do like the BFG M/T But would like to see more info on how long they truly last mileage wise for everyday street driving. Hopefully more people will chime in and give there reviews as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

All of my mileage was on road. On road and lots of nasty railroads.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Year: 1990

wrangler duratracks

/thread
Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Falken = crap
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

ive had my federal couragia m/ts for over a year now with hardly any wear and my xj is my DD with 60 miles a day on them for work, great tires in my opinion
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Most of my miles are on these fantastic WA highways with a wheeling trip every month or so. Im looking at tires too, not because I need them but because I wanna go up a size or 3. Goodyear MT/Rs, Micky Thompson Baja Claws and BFG KM2s are at the top of my list and all about even in price. Im leaning towards the Baja Claws, I had a set on a YJ and loved them. But I love my BFGs too! Some descisions are waaay to hard.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

I have run the old style mtr's on 2 jeeps in 35's and got 45 to 50 out of them and still sold them used with legal tread. I still have a pair on the back of the wifes jeep and the are between a quarter and half tread. the new mtr's are supposed to be able to run the same thats what i am changing to.
The dura tracs stop at 33 unless doing 16 in rims.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

I've always had good luck with GY MTR's , and BFG KM's. I have heard Toyo Open Country MT's last a good bit too
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I have duratracs on my jk and they seem to hold up pretty well but they say the sideways aren't very sturdy so depends on what kind of wheeling ur doing I haven't had a problem with them yet and the tread seems to wear well
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

I have a few buddies that have had good success with the Cooper Stt's (they are all running them as 35s also). When you look at them they've got mt lugs just closer together with added sipping also. I have km2's on my zr2 that i dd and they are wearing decent..i expect about 30k out of them.

Last edited by Jarrett; 12-09-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Year: 1989

Every one hates on my Pro Comp X-Terrain's. But I've got 15,000 on them and you can't tell.

Sent From My Toyota Recovery Vehicle.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

30" Cooper STT's 38k and in need of replacement, gonna run them through the winter due to lack of funds, I expect 40K. The STT's kick A$$ offroad, but I've only been able to go in the sloppy junk a handful of times so my next set is going to be General Grabber At's, they have 60k warranty. I'd never expect that but they resemble more of a BFG AT as opposed to a MT.

At ~30K

Quick Reply: Longest Lasting A/T & M/T Tires?