leave carpet or rip it out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default leave carpet or rip it out?

i have dogs and my xj is pretty stinky in rainy season. been thinking about tearing out carpet and doing herculiner? but somewhere i read about it getting way too hot in the jeep.

anybody have opinions?

my jeep really stinks
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: HO4.0 I6

I have also heard that it gets really really loud. Just a thought
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Year: 1977
Engine: Chevy 350

Carpet is BAD. I also have an 02 Wrangler Apex Edition and the wife and ripped the carpet out and used Monstaliner on the entire tub. It is actually quieter than it was with the carpet, and we can just hose the interior out. (Taking care not to get the dash of course.)

On my Cherokee, the carpet is already out... getting all new floorpans welded in within the next month. Going to use Chassis Saver on the bottom of them and Monstaliner on the inside... never worry about rust again.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM

is replacing the carpet super spendy?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Hot and loud, x2.

Pull the carpet, patch rust (if you have any), and seal.

Then, if you don't mind figuring out the install portion I would put down noise/heat insulation under some vinyl flooring. This would give you a better then stock noise/heat barrier and an easy to clean surface. If you want to get fancy you can run carpeted floor mats over the vinyl for when you want it to look purdy.

That's my game plan for spring.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by calijeep
is replacing the carpet super spendy?
Summit and JC Whitney are your best bet for replacement carpet. The only company that I know of that still makes new carpet is ACC. A simple google will lead you to their respective websites.

Another option is the Recycle yard. Clean your old carpet and scotch guard even.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 PM

Sound absorption of any type is going to soak up water when it gets wet, say hello to the rust monster. Guess it depends if you are going to own the vehicle long enough for the rust to be an issue.

I have no plans for getting rid of either of my Jeeps, long term protection makes the most sense. Fix it right once and don't worry about it again.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Could just clean your carpet and then put Husky Floor Liners in.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...y&c=80&sv=1000
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 AM

yeah. i think the floor liners sound good. thats prob what i'll do. at least until i can do a complete rip out and do it right. i've got a list of other stuff i should focus on. thanks guys
Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Karvin
Sound absorption of any type is going to soak up water when it gets wet, say hello to the rust monster. Guess it depends if you are going to own the vehicle long enough for the rust to be an issue.

I have no plans for getting rid of either of my Jeeps, long term protection makes the most sense. Fix it right once and don't worry about it again.
Not all insulation absorbs water.

http://www.lobucrod.com/

http://www.lizardskin.com/

Rust is an issue, I live in the rust belt. Thats why I have and will continue to invest in rust proofing. The previous owner had Ziebart undercoat it. That has held up well and only required some minor touch up. Over summer I removed both axles, drive shafts, cleaned and painted with por15. Everything on the underside is either painted or zinc coated.

This summer its time for the interior. I will be sealing the floor and the interior sheet metal. Spray some Lizard where insulation would be too difficult. Insulate the floor and lay some vinyl flooring. Cut for drainage and then I will have a submersible XJ with little chance for rust.

Last edited by UserID6095; 01-12-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

I did that with mine no issue. I know that I live in Alaska but in the summer it gets in the 80's even warmer but not often
Attached Thumbnails leave carpet or rip it out?-forumrunner_20110111_211135.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

without carpet, the floors get hot enough to burn a bare leg. at least on the passenger side trans tunnel. i just use a floor mat so the wifey doesn't get burnt. it's kinda loud too.

i have a female gsd, and without carpet, she just slides all over. so i use a moving blanket in the back for her or even her large pet bed, just so she's comfortable.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by trs80
Summit and JC Whitney are your best bet for replacement carpet. The only company that I know of that still makes new carpet is ACC. A simple google will lead you to their respective websites.
My experience with the Whitney replacement carpet makes that product a non-starter in my opinion. I bought one and it wasn’t even close to fitting. Plus you have to cut all the holes for the bolts for the seat bracket, seat belts, shifter, and anything that protrudes from the floor. None of the molded corners or edges fit. You could probably get it to work, but it’d be a lot of labor and the end result would look like murder.

C'mon, we all know real trucks don't have fuzzy velour on the floor. Not manly enough. ;-)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM

i'm a chick. so i don't are about the manly stuff. but i do love my xj and have plans for it to be a capable backcountry rig. i think ill just tear out rear cargo carpet for now. herculine it. get a mat and throw my dogs a washable blanket.

look for my jeep build. i'm gonna take pictures and post today.

calijeep 96
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

My family did a 300+ mile round trip in our TJ. No carpet, but like I said it was Monstalined, my wife had her bare feet on the floor the entire time. Perhaps the XJ's get hotter than a TJ, but I can't for the life of me see why.

As for noise... the soft top makes a lot more noise, as do the 33" Toyo MT's on the pavement. And that was before we took the carpet out.

I have no room for comparison with my Cherokee, it is too loud to determine whether or not the Monstaliner would make a difference. Perhaps I will see if a police officer has a decibel meter and might do before and after readings.

Quick Reply: leave carpet or rip it out?