Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

just put the factory spare tire carrier back on

Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just put the factory spare tire carrier back on

i love how the XJs look with the factory carrier on them...

so here it is on my newly lifted XJ

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hey that's not factory! Lol what did u pull it off of & how does it mount???
Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Hey that's not factory! Lol what did u pull it off of & how does it mount???
it is factory...they are on very few, but some XJs...ive even seen them on ZJs before...same exact carrier on all of them

thats why the rear plates are factory mounted to the left side of the tail gate with a light and housing over the plates, instead of right in the middle

also the 4.0 badge is in the upper right tailgate under the window instead of at the bottom....its done at the factory like that

it mounts to a factory mounted metal block on the right side of the bumper there, and latches to the tail gate right by the base of the wiper blade, and it pivets on the bumper too there on the block

like i said, not maney have this setup from the factory, but it is factory
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

How have I never seen this I'm so jelous! Clean 2door btw! & oh ya about the tire rack I hate u! Lol jking
Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM

How have I never seen this I'm so jelous! Clean 2door btw! & oh ya about the tire rack I hate u! Lol jking
lol...no problem...like i said, its a very rare set up..ive only seen one other XJ and one ZJ with this set up before...i love it
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM

see here, this is a pic i took of it before i put it back on..see how the lisence plate is way off to the right instead of the center like most other XJs, and see theres even a factory lisence plate light and housing above the plates...then the 4.0 litre badge is up in the upper right corner of the tail gate, below the window, instead of being straight down from that on the very bottom

Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Dude u gotta be pulling my leg 1st off the lift gate still has the licence plate mount for the center, 2nd the bumper looks freshly welded, & 3rd I've been a XJ fan as long as I can remember & I've never seen or heard of this!
Will someone else please chim in & tell me if I'm trippin! Not trying to call u a lier but why would they leave the indent on the lift gate for the licence plate???
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Not trying to call u a lier but why would they leave the indent on the lift gate for the licence plate???
Because it costs less money than making a new mold for the rear lift gate, and like he said: its rare, so they didnt make many... Its easier to just mold a standard lift gate (theyre fiberglass, or my 89 is at least, they went to metal later on) and put a new plate light on, then to totally redesign it.. There are wires inside the lift gate, to the right side for the light..
Old 09-20-2009, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Ok that does it I must find this said tire rack! Not likly I'd find it in the jy! Lol ur a lucky man to find a 2door with fatory spare tire carrier! I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now
Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Do they make one for the 97+? I want one too! I need my trunk space!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Dude u gotta be pulling my leg 1st off the lift gate still has the licence plate mount for the center, 2nd the bumper looks freshly welded, & 3rd I've been a XJ fan as long as I can remember & I've never seen or heard of this!
Will someone else please chim in & tell me if I'm trippin! Not trying to call u a lier but why would they leave the indent on the lift gate for the licence plate???
Yea your trippin get off the stuff its factory

Originally Posted by Mr.JayDeeM
Do they make one for the 97+? I want one too! I need my trunk space!

i dont beleve they did but you can check out this set up

http://detoursusa.com/tailbone.php
Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes it is aftermarket. The factory style has its own bumper with mount and latch and the upper latch attaches to the body by the rear window.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: I6

Ok that does it I must find this said tire rack! Not likly I'd find it in the jy! Lol ur a lucky man to find a 2door with fatory spare tire carrier! I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now
As said they are very rare,there was a tire carrier on craigslist near me for $55 about a month ago,also a 2door went by me the other day on the highway with a factory tire carrier on it. The jeep was all rusted and piloted by a guy with a mullet
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I also have the same FACTORY tire carrier. I bought it from a guy off of Craigslist for $75.00.... They are out there but hard to find.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM

My XJ is actually setup for the exact tire carrier, but when i bought it all that was on it was the brackets, so after seeing your post, im fixin to get intouch with the guy who once had it and see if i can locate the rest of it! Save me some time on having to build a custom one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just put the factory spare tire carrier back on