Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Kap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default just nice and feeling good-- but a question

My 2000 XJ Sport (175k mi.)was stored outdoors once again past six months while out of the country. When arrived back three weeks ago, changed the oil, lubed it, charged the battery, checked the tires, held my breath, and took off. Great.
Took the 2 miles daily each way to/from my remote camp over a mudholed right-of-way in SelecTrac locked 4lo w/o problems -- had to charge through some deep mud and more than once bottomed out the suspension on a tricky rockledge but all okay. Also did a lengthy allday 2hi 65 mph trip on state highways and the Interstate with usual mileage (20mpg) so good. This aside from local travel.
Now looking forward to lengthy summer roundtrip over state roads from NYS Adirondacks through Vermont, NH, to far northern Maine -- done it before 10-12 hrs each way behind wheel. Will need 4lo first two miles and 4hi last two miles but worth it.
Big question looking ahead: any special advice or thinking about storing it five months winter December to April while overseas again? Usually, just park, lock, fulltank, and leave it as-is. No cover for fear mildew or worse. What do you all think?
Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Well if you don't have someone who can run it once a week or so, sounds like you pretty much got it sorted. If everything worked good after storing it as you did for 6 months, I don't think doing the same for 5 months will do any worse. Of course, anything you can do to keep the moisture out will be a good thing, depending on your climate. I've heard of guys leaving a bit of cat litter or baking soda in their backseat or floorboard to keep down humidity and discourage mold/mildew. Also, a nice-fitting car cover can only help your paint and what-not. From what you said about your experience, though, I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Would be a good idea to add a fuel stabilizer if your going to store for any length of time.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

fresh oil in the crankcase and staybil in the gas tank and run it through the engine before you shut it off for storage.

fill the tires with air and keep it off jack stands.

then when you get back dump a bit of fresh oil in the top of the motor, unhook the coil wire and give it a few short cranks before starting it up. get those lifters coated with some oil.

maybe throw some mothballs or dryer sheets in the jeep to keep out the rodents.

i've heard of some people filling the motor right full with clean oil then draining it and filling properly with fresh oil again before start up. but i don't know how much better it would be to go through all that...

Last edited by caged; 07-03-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Another vote for fuel stabilizer. Gasoline starts to go bad after about 2 to 3 months of storage. You can actually smell the difference. It's still usable, but the octane rating decreases. A fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil in a full tank will help it last longer. You may be tempted to leave it empty instead, but doing that risks condensation in the tank.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Kap

Default p.s. and thank you

Thank you, everyone. Had not used fuel stabilizer but will do so in the future.
Left it filled over to three-quarter tank to avoid condensation over winter, and as far as I can tell, gasoline had not turned noticeably sour -- but probably just lucky.
Like the idea about open pan of baking soda inside on floor-- I do it for the bottled-gas fridge at my camp and it prevents smell etc.
Otherwise, come November when I head away I will do the usual park, lock, and leave it.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Kap

Default also meant to say...

Part II of reply, with another thank-you.
Sprinkled full box of mothballs regularly in the past but had an allergic reaction -- lots of coughing even with all windows open afterwards so had to stop. Figure any fieldmice had a worse cough than mine though.
Disconnecting coil and getting oil on top of lifters when restarting after months-- hadn't thought of that but obviously real solid sgsnt, thanks again.
Nope, no jacks. The Coopers on my XJ seem to do okay. Do not even develop flatspots which surprised me -- maybe because parked on sandy earth not cement.